2021 Super DIRTcar Series Schedule Announced

8 hours ago, OpenHeaders said:

Quick thoughts on first look: it seems like a great schedule. I still love the SuperDIRT Series, especially that it travels to some awesome tracks in Canada. (Yes, STSS is good too, enjoying one does not have to imply bashing the other). 

A few other notes:

- No Brockville race on weekend after SDW, or any other time

- Two separate Quebec trips/commitments

- Weedsport Labor Day race turned into a weekend event the following week

- No Merrittville, but back at Ohsweken

I read on the SDS site that their working on finalizing a date with Brockville and also airborne speedway in Plattsburg

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We get it. You prefer the STSS format. That’s fine. You don’t need to make this post EVERY time the Super DIRTcar Series is mentioned.

Yea its so much better hoping you draw a good number instead of making your racecar faster. Draw for starting position through the gate SUCKS.    Rob Hile

I agree with Rob; if you draw at the gate and draw rear starting spot, there's a chance track X could be super heavy and a lane or lane and a half wide on the bottom/top or whichever groove is faster

10 hours ago, In the Shadows said:

Just saw a Twitter post from Rocket Chassis recommending HD suspension parts & wheels stating that Bristol will be hardest place on everything. How will this affect our mods??

The straight axle front is quite a bit heartier than an independent front end. The lack of front end downforce on a mod should also help some. 

I don’t think mods should have to make any significant part changes to run Bristol. 

10 hours ago, OpenHeaders said:

Quick thoughts on first look: it seems like a great schedule. I still love the SuperDIRT Series, especially that it travels to some awesome tracks in Canada. (Yes, STSS is good too, enjoying one does not have to imply bashing the other). 

A few other notes:

- No Brockville race on weekend after SDW, or any other time

- Two separate Quebec trips/commitments

- Weedsport Labor Day race turned into a weekend event the following week

- No Merrittville, but back at Ohsweken

It will be great having the Mods back at Ohsweken AND maybe a FREE VIDEO BROADCAST as The Big O GIVES Every Week!!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Fran said:

It will be great having the Mods back at Ohsweken AND maybe a FREE VIDEO BROADCAST as The Big O GIVES Every Week!!

Given that DIRTcar/DIRTvision owns the broadcasting rights i'm not sure Ohsweken will be allowed to stream it for free like they do all their other events, but time will tell. 

I know they did it the last time, but that was a few years ago.  Times have changed and streaming rights are of serious importance for both tracks and sanctioning bodies. 

I believe alot of the Tracks are waiting on Pandemic problem before committing to anything yet !!!!

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Rebob0510 said:

Yea its so much better hoping you draw a good number instead of making your racecar faster. Draw for starting position through the gate SUCKS. 

Rob Hile

Rob, as a driver I get what you are saying but as a fan it really sucks. It is much more of a show to watch the fast guys come from the back rather than start up front and just start lapping cars after 5 or 6 laps.  My sincere question to you is this... if you are fast arent you going to end up in the top 4 or 5 when the checkers wave?  Especially after 75 or 100 laps. Unless of course it goes green to checkers.

• Like 5

Look..... I in no way have a vendetta or a dislike for WRG or ANY of it's officials, but just wish that they would change their format for the sake of us fans. We all spend a lot of money to watch great racing & in my opinion we are NOT getting our money's worth with this format....how about this: Time trial & then have the top 3 in each qualifying group draw for their starting spot in each 12 lap qualifier.....if they come from the back....great, but everyone else would have a fairer chance of qualifying

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Rebob0510 said:

Yea its so much better hoping you draw a good number instead of making your racecar faster. Draw for starting position through the gate SUCKS. 

Rob Hile

Sucks for drivers, great for fans. I can see this through both lenses. Races aren’t the most exciting when you have Friesen start up front vs him coming through the field. On the other hand I can also understand professional drivers wishing to hold their outcome in their own hands. 

Answer to this will depend greatly on where one watches the races; from the stands or from the driver’s seat. 

1 hour ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

Rob, as a driver I get what you are saying but as a fan it really sucks. It is much more of a show to watch the fast guys come from the back rather than start up front and just start lapping cars after 5 or 6 laps.  My sincere question to you is this... if you are fast arent you going to end up in the top 4 or 5 when the checkers wave?  Especially after 75 or 100 laps. Unless of course it goes green to checkers.

I’d agree with this. To give everyone a fighting chance I’d remove time trials and replace them with longer heat races. How about draw for starting spot in the heat and then have 15-20 laps to determine who qualifies for the feature. Consi(s) and provisionals round out the field. 

1 hour ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

I agree with Rob; if you draw at the gate and draw rear starting spot, there's a chance track X could be super heavy and a lane or lane and a half wide on the bottom/top or whichever groove is faster at track X (or possibility of multiple fast lanes) which would cause less passing during the heats or early qualifiers as opposed to a B main or Feature when the track would theoretically widen out or slow down and offer multiple, more even grooves of racing.  Some tracks have a traditionally fast bottom or top during weekly qualifying, which may be made worse on a specials only show with potentially less cars.  The last time we were at grandview for the series when we ran full time, the heats were all lane and a half on the bottom super heavy, and we literally all followed each other after the first lap.  B mains and feature were plenty of racing, but early on, not so much.  I think Most drivers would prefer time trials, as it puts the most even way to get a starting position and places fate in your hands (and crew).  I would be okay with a redraw to mix the top 4-5, but not a complete invert if you earn a qualifying starting spot in the heat.  Just my two cents

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Keith Flach said:

I agree with Rob; if you draw at the gate and draw rear starting spot, there's a chance track X could be super heavy and a lane or lane and a half wide on the bottom/top or whichever groove is faster at track X (or possibility of multiple fast lanes) which would cause less passing during the heats or early qualifiers as opposed to a B main or Feature when the track would theoretically widen out or slow down and offer multiple, more even grooves of racing.  Some tracks have a traditionally fast bottom or top during weekly qualifying, which may be made worse on a specials only show with potentially less cars.  The last time we were at grandview for the series when we ran full time, the heats were all lane and a half on the bottom super heavy, and we literally all followed each other after the first lap.  B mains and feature were plenty of racing, but early on, not so much.  I think Most drivers would prefer time trials, as it puts the most even way to get a starting position and places fate in your hands (and crew).  I would be okay with a redraw to mix the top 4-5, but not a complete invert if you earn a qualifying starting spot in the heat.  Just my two cents

Wouldn’t this same theory hold true for time trials? If you time first the track is most likely going to range from different to dramatically different to the surface that somebody time trialing 60th might expect to see? 

Just now, JohnyC said:

Wouldn’t this same theory hold true for time trials? If you time first the track is most likely going to range from different to dramatically different to the surface that somebody time trialing 60th might expect to see? 

Not the way SDS does time trials.  You only time trial against your heat group.

• Like 2
Just now, JohnyC said:

I think that is why they do group time trials and then keep same group for heats. You are on the track at the same time as the people you are qualifying against to race in the heat.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, scottnorwood said:

I think that is why they do group time trials and then keep same group for heats. You are on the track at the same time as the people you are qualifying against to race in the heat.

Makes sense 

I'd like to see them do something similar to the All Star format.  Invert the top four for each group from time trials.  Fastest time trial in each group goes to the redraw as long as he qualifies in the heat.  Heat winner goes to redraw as well.  It still favors the faster cars, but the invert makes the heats better (sometimes). 

6 hours ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

Here is my Draw story, About 6 years ago I went to thunder mountain with Billy Decker for a Draw type race, I cant remember what the exact race was but I got to have the awesome job of drawing. I drew him 99 out of 100 and the walk back to the trailer sucked because I knew a bad draw here was going to be tough because then it was very tough to pass early on. We started last, Didnt qualify through the heat, missed it in the consi and were leaded up before the feature started. Now had I drawn 1 and he started on the pole the rest of your night is easy. From that point on I hated draw races. How is it fair to determine your starting spot based off luck? I have also seen a slow back marker draw up front and wreck the field. I know it sucks for fans to watch.... kind of like racing on a slippery dry track. Fans like the hammer down stuff because the cars are fast and things get wild, They also dont have a dime invested or a hour invested fixing or repairing anything also

• Like 5
3 hours ago, JohnyC said:

in the SDS races your draw basically determines your "group", after the draw you hotlap/time trial/run heats with the same group of cars. There is still a overall fast time so if you are in group 1A vs group 5B you have a better shot of getting that. Other than that I think its a pretty fair and even system

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Rebob0510 said:

Here is my Draw story, About 6 years ago I went to thunder mountain with Billy Decker for a Draw type race, I cant remember what the exact race was but I got to have the awesome job of drawing. I drew him 99 out of 100 and the walk back to the trailer sucked because I knew a bad draw here was going to be tough because then it was very tough to pass early on. We started last, Didnt qualify through the heat, missed it in the consi and were leaded up before the feature started. Now had I drawn 1 and he started on the pole the rest of your night is easy. From that point on I hated draw races. How is it fair to determine your starting spot based off luck? I have also seen a slow back marker draw up front and wreck the field. I know it sucks for fans to watch.... kind of like racing on a slippery dry track. Fans like the hammer down stuff because the cars are fast and things get wild, They also dont have a dime invested or a hour invested fixing or repairing anything also

To say that race fans do not have a dime invested and or their time is wrong.

I suppose racing could still survive without fans sitting in seats.  It did so many places in 2020.

Personally , I actually do not mind watching cars time trial one at a time.  I like being able to hear the cars and see when and where different drivers gas it or let off.   Group time trials I do not enjoy so much though.  It think I am watching hot laps

1 hour ago, Rebob0510 said:

Fans do have money invested in watching the show. For some families spending a hundred dollars to take family to see a race can be all the expendable income they have....but i understand what you are saying.

When I worked on modifieds I hated New Egypt Speedway.

As a fan New Egypt is pretty entertaining....haha

18 minutes ago, scottnorwood said:

Fans do have money invested in watching the show. For some families spending a hundred dollars to take family to see a race can be all the expendable income they have....but i understand what you are saying.

When I worked on modifieds I hated New Egypt Speedway.

As a fan New Egypt is pretty entertaining....haha

I probably worded it wrong, I meant as in the car and equipment. Trust me I was a fan for alot longer than I was on the other side of the racetrack in the pits. I just really hate drawing for your starting position :) LOL

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Rebob0510 said:

That is a great story. I fully get it. I guess after hearing that story I would have to say I would suggest some type of redraw like what some of the other posters are suggesting. Would be much better as a fan to see the fast guys come from rows  3, 4 and 5 instead of 1 and 2.

• Like 1

I completely understand the reasoning for liking the time trial Format, but I’d be willing to bet there are more smaller teams that would prefer a draw. The time trail deal also pegs the bigger teams against the smaller teams in the crew aspect as well. There is a limited amount of time between hot laps and time trials, if your a smaller group or come to the track with 1 or 2 guys, you better hope you unload and be very close on setup. Your not making shock/gear/spring adjustments etc with 1 or 2 crew guys. Which is another downside for the smaller teams that may participate. There is no clear answer, the professional or close to professional teams want time trials, the little guys likes the luck of the draw, the fans almost always prefer the draw format. For some guys  just making the show is an accomplishment and financially can help if it’s a larger purse, I think the car counts over the years reflect that more teams take a shot at the event when it’s a draw race, and the big guys all show up as well. 

• Like 1