• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's like saying Dick Trickle sucked because he had no NASCAR wins.

I’d say he’s proven time and time again he can drive on pavement: His first 2 career starts at New Smyrna were wins. Both in a Super Late Model. He’s also won there in a Midget, for a total of 3

You can’t be that delusional?

I think Stew's issues qualifying wasn't his ability but the car, look at the top Longhorn drivers TMac and Superman. They have had a horrible week. If it isn't set up problems its wrecks.  And Timmy is also helping Stew, plus they hired Tommy Greco as the crew chief one of the top Late Model crew chiefs on the tour. Tommy use to work at Behrent's way back when, he worked with and learned about chassis and suspensions from Charlie Castle. From there I think he worked with Jack Johnson? And has crew chiefed for a lot of the top Late Model drivers and a time with the Dillion brothers. 

Stew was having an issue going in to the corners when he went low, looked like the front would bounce really hard as he was on the brakes. What that means I have no idea, but just like Timmy he was having issues on restarts on the bottom. Looks like Timmy has worked that out last night. I think Stew would of benefited from a day or two of practice like Larson had. 

Speaking of Larson, I don't like him. I never have. But I have no problem saying he is as good as any dirt driver that has sat in any type of dirt racing car.  I honestly feel comfortable saying in the past 40 years there hasn't been a driver on dirt that is as versatile and dominant as Kyle Larson. Tony Stewart is close, but Larson is just on a different level. And when the top drivers of past years are comparing him to Foyt and Andretti, that just enforces the fact. 

As for Larson in NASCAR he is as good as any driver out there. Though his old ride wasn't a top tier ride, it definitely wasn't as horrible as a Petty ride. Kyle Busch didn't tear up the tracks right off the start, but now I think he is easily the best driver in NASCAR. I think this Hendricks ride for Larson will put him at a much higher level, and multiple wins and/or championship contender this year isn't out of the question.

1 hour ago, westracing01 said:

Night one at Bubba in the Super Late and Stew is on the trailer. 

For what it's worth, TMac had to go through the B Main to make the show. 

Looks like it’s back to the drawing board.

2 hours ago, westracing01 said:

Night one at Bubba in the Super Late and Stew is on the trailer.  

Got screwed by the time trial draw there.  The track was still slime when he was on the track and it picked up almost a second by the end of his qualifying group.

Pretty much everybody involved with Stew’s late model effort is on night three overall of late model racing against the very best the nation has to offer. Making the shows period is a tall order. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Josh Bayko said:

Pretty much everybody involved with Stew’s late model effort is on night three overall of late model racing against the very best the nation has to offer. Making the shows period is a tall order. 

No kidding. These early season races are absolutely stacked to the ceiling with the best in the business.

• Like 1

Just looked at the point standings so far and couldn't believe some of the names you see in positions 11-20...that's not even taking into account how good the top 10 is. It's really a who's who of late model racing right now. Hopefully Stew is learning some stuff and locks it in here one of these nights. Even if he doesn't, hopefully he still goes back to the model a little more when his schedule allows and he's trying to make the field against a 30-40 car field that isn't as stacked as these 70+ car fields with every single one of the best drivers in the country basically. 

10 1T Tyler Erb New Waverly, TX 965 $26,550
11 3s Brian Shirley Chatham, IL 945 $8,650
12 81E Tanner English Benton, KY 930 $9,100
13 99JR Frank Heckenast Jr Frankfort, IL 870 $6,400
14 1 Earl Pearson Jr Jacksonville, FL 865 $7,675
15 16 Tyler Bruening Decorah, IA 860 $8,975
16 49 Jonathan Davenport Blairsville, GA 855 $13,800
17 20 Jimmy Owens Newport, TN 830 $10,625
18 25 Shane Clanton Zebulon, GA 825 $8,600
19 56JR Tony Jackson Jr Lebanon, MO 820 $4,575
20 21 Billy Moyer Jr Batesville, AR 795 $7,525

He looked strong all night. Great run in the heat and held firm in the feature. Very impressive finish for Stew. Hopefully he sticks with this and gets more comfortable going forward. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

For those still with an active DIRTVision account, Stewart Friesen is in action in the late model tonight in South Carolina. Went from 5th to 3rd in his heat and will start the feature 8th. Couple big names in the field tonight with Chris Madden and Kyle Strickler, but outside of that, not a whole lot of big names so good chance for Stew to make some noise tonight!

Friesen ended up finishing 5th. Started 8th and jumped up 3 spots quickly in opening couple laps but then it very much became a train race for the leaders for the next 30 laps. There was one pass for the lead with 10ish laps to go but that was only after the leader had damage to the nose piece.

13 minutes ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

Friesen ended up finishing 5th. Started 8th and jumped up 3 spots quickly in opening couple laps but then it very much became a train race for the leaders for the next 30 laps. There was one pass for the lead with 10ish laps to go but that was only after the leader had damage to the nose piece.

Maybe the damage slowed leader a bit but 1st and 2nd had a big gap on 3rd.

Ross Bailes dusted off the middle and rolled around him. That was a sweet pass.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, scottnorwood said:

Maybe the damage slowed leader a bit but 1st and 2nd had a big gap on 3rd.

Ross Bailes dusted off the middle and rolled around him. That was a sweet pass.

Sorry didn’t mean to discount the one pass that did happen. Ross did work for that, but I think he benefited from the 2 having the damage. But yes, once he passed him, he was GONE. Gapped him in no time.

6 hours ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

Sorry didn’t mean to discount the one pass that did happen. Ross did work for that, but I think he benefited from the 2 having the damage. But yes, once he passed him, he was GONE. Gapped him in no time.

Saw the hi-lites of the feature and it did pretty much turn into a one groove track. I saw it listed as a 4/10 mile. It appeared to have very long straightaway and tight turns.

• Like 1

Started 16th yesterday.  Finished 5th.  One groove track.  Some nice restarts, a little luck, and one of few that was actually able to make some passes.  

This was the 4th of 5th time I've seen the Supers at Cherokee.  You need to time fast to start up front.  Very little passing.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Started 16th yesterday.  Finished 5th.  One groove track.  Some nice restarts, a little luck, and one of few that was actually able to make some passes.  

This was the 4th of 5th time I've seen the Supers at Cherokee.  You need to time fast to start up front.  Very little passing.

Seems like he’s making progress every time the car is out on the track. Happy to see it. Hope he can get it to VL in the near future.

What’s the list of guys that have won WoO Sprint Car, WoO Late Model and Super Dirt Series races?

Can’t be long.... even guys having 2 of those 3 is probably pretty short with Pauch Sr. on it.

3 hours ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

Seems like he’s making progress every time the car is out on the track. Happy to see it. Hope he can get it to VL in the near future.

What’s the list of guys that have won WoO Sprint Car, WoO Late Model and Super Dirt Series races?

Can’t be long.... even guys having 2 of those 3 is probably pretty short with Pauch Sr. on it.

Tim Fuller has won in both SDS and WOO Late Model

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

Good call. Tim McCreadie as well obviously. 

Ricky Elliot also.

Friesen has a decent chance of being the first to win in all three.  Have they said anything about the number of late model races they plan on running this year?