Jump to content



Recommended Posts

This past weekend I restarted my iracing.com account and started at the bottom. Rookie Dirt Oval Street Stocks, took a while to get use to it again. But last night I finally received my Class D license and had my first front row start and first podium with a 3rd.  I've tested 358 & Big Block Mods and learned a lot. Like I need to stay in the street stocks for a while longer. Also I'm racing using a x-box game pad. Which is definitely not ideal for this type of online racing. No matter how smooth you try to be, you still end up being very choppy with the steering. 

The reason I opened with my first statement was to show my respect to what these guys are doing. It's definitely not DTR 2. 

On that note I watched both races last night on DTDtv. I have to tell you the action was great, and I mean great. The Lernerville and Weedsport races were, to me anyways, highlighted by the Planck family. Dale's son put on a great charge through the field at Lernerville. And Dale Planck himself showed his experience at Weedsport as he qualified well and ran for the lead for a lot of the race, ultimately finishing 3rd. There was a ton of side by side racing, slide jobs, and power moves. Weedsport was the only race where there was an actual battle for the lead for about 4 laps. Not sure what really happen with Tyler Ducharme to let Nick Cooper catch up with him, but he did and used a pretty good slide job to get the lead for about a lap. I watched Tyler as closely as possible. He ran the top perfectly, almost to perfectly it felt like. Same mark through the corner every single lap, the consistency was just ridiculous. Lap after lap it just seemed crazy how perfect Tyler was. He is with out a doubt in a league of his own, and I mean that literally. Cooper is the only other car in the field that can run with him. I don't see anyone else but them winning any of the races. I think Dale Planck's real Modified experience at Weedsport is why he was able to have such a good race. 

I've never seen Lernerville in real life, but I've been to Weedsport many times. But to actually be on the track testing a few times. Its the oddest shaped race track I've been on. I always kind of thought of Weedsport as a D shape. I thought it was suppose to be close to the D-Shaped Demon.  Not even close.  Weedsport doesn't make any sense as you're trying to get around it. Each corner just seems so different from the next.

I always thought Fonda was about the most unique of the New York state tracks. I've heard it described once as a big track you run like a short track. I'm hoping more tracks like Fonda, Dundee, A/S, Canandaigua, Penn Can, OCFS. I wonder if they could some how bring back Flemington, Nazareth, Syracuse, and maybe even Langhorne? I think it would be cool if they could add old school Coups. I think at the least they should add the Outlaw(training wheel) style mod. 

I've started looking at Steering wheel and peddles, I've also looked at different racing rigs. There are some very simple ones that can be easily packed away for a couple $100.  I've seen rigs up to $100,000.00. Pretty much like Denny Hamlin had in the eNASCAR races last year. But digging I found a company in Canada that, though they don't look as nice. They do exactly the same thing these expensive rigs do. For about 90% less. https://dofreality.com/ has starting prices of $1299.00 for a consumer 2 axis system up to $5299 for their professional 6 axis rig. Unfortunately none of these rigs come with seat, wheel, peddles, or computer. So it still adds up pretty fast. I was wondering what rigs the people racing last night were using.  

Ok enough babbling.. Thanks all and I hope everyone has a much better 2021 then 2020.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

This past weekend I restarted my iracing.com account and started at the bottom. Rookie Dirt Oval Street Stocks, took a while to get use to it again. But last night I finally received my Class D license and had my first front row start and first podium with a 3rd.  I've tested 358 & Big Block Mods and learned a lot. Like I need to stay in the street stocks for a while longer. Also I'm racing using a x-box game pad. Which is definitely not ideal for this type of online racing. No matter how smooth you try to be, you still end up being very choppy with the steering. 

The reason I opened with my first statement was to show my respect to what these guys are doing. It's definitely not DTR 2. 

On that note I watched both races last night on DTDtv. I have to tell you the action was great, and I mean great. The Lernerville and Weedsport races were, to me anyways, highlighted by the Planck family. Dale's son put on a great charge through the field at Lernerville. And Dale Planck himself showed his experience at Weedsport as he qualified well and ran for the lead for a lot of the race, ultimately finishing 3rd. There was a ton of side by side racing, slide jobs, and power moves. Weedsport was the only race where there was an actual battle for the lead for about 4 laps. Not sure what really happen with Tyler Ducharme to let Nick Cooper catch up with him, but he did and used a pretty good slide job to get the lead for about a lap. I watched Tyler as closely as possible. He ran the top perfectly, almost to perfectly it felt like. Same mark through the corner every single lap, the consistency was just ridiculous. Lap after lap it just seemed crazy how perfect Tyler was. He is with out a doubt in a league of his own, and I mean that literally. Cooper is the only other car in the field that can run with him. I don't see anyone else but them winning any of the races. I think Dale Planck's real Modified experience at Weedsport is why he was able to have such a good race. 

I've never seen Lernerville in real life, but I've been to Weedsport many times. But to actually be on the track testing a few times. Its the oddest shaped race track I've been on. I always kind of thought of Weedsport as a D shape. I thought it was suppose to be close to the D-Shaped Demon.  Not even close.  Weedsport doesn't make any sense as you're trying to get around it. Each corner just seems so different from the next.

I always thought Fonda was about the most unique of the New York state tracks. I've heard it described once as a big track you run like a short track. I'm hoping more tracks like Fonda, Dundee, A/S, Canandaigua, Penn Can, OCFS. I wonder if they could some how bring back Flemington, Nazareth, Syracuse, and maybe even Langhorne? I think it would be cool if they could add old school Coups. I think at the least they should add the Outlaw(training wheel) style mod. 

I've started looking at Steering wheel and peddles, I've also looked at different racing rigs. There are some very simple ones that can be easily packed away for a couple $100.  I've seen rigs up to $100,000.00. Pretty much like Denny Hamlin had in the eNASCAR races last year. But digging I found a company in Canada that, though they don't look as nice. They do exactly the same thing these expensive rigs do. For about 90% less. https://dofreality.com/ has starting prices of $1299.00 for a consumer 2 axis system up to $5299 for their professional 6 axis rig. Unfortunately none of these rigs come with seat, wheel, peddles, or computer. So it still adds up pretty fast. I was wondering what rigs the people racing last night were using.  

Ok enough babbling.. Thanks all and I hope everyone has a much better 2021 then 2020.

I have a thrustmaster T150 Pro that was given to me by Mikey Butler a few years ago. He wasn't racing much and I was just getting started up and he didn't want anything for it. I'd recommend that as a starting wheel/pedal system. Brought me up to an A license in about 3 months. Tanner Holmes (youtube him) has the same wheel/pedals as myself and he is one of the top iracers on the open wheel side of things. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

I wonder if they could some how bring back Flemington, Nazareth, Syracuse, and maybe even Langhorne?

It would be cool, but I don't think it could ever happen given the scanning technology they use to get the tracks into the sim.  Unfortunately there is nothing left to scan for those tracks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just redid my entire setup between April and now. Fanatec CSL wheel/pedals for $500, new PC built for $1000, new monitor for $400, and $100 worth of metal, a seat, and other things to fab up a new rig. Roughly $2000 total, and Ducharme has the same wheel as I do. We run totally different settings from one another, so if you end up with that wheel, I'll forward over what we each run and you can pick what you like from them both.

Can confirm, Weedsport is weird. The track on iRacing came out in early September, and I got to practice there for the first time in late September. The game track is absolutely identical to the real one, throttle and turn points are exactly the same. Was a very pleasant time being able to hop into a race car and only have to worry about learning the car since I already knew the track with my eyes closed.

 

The reason why the DTD series is so good is because of the drivers. There's no junk out there, those guys are seriously talented. Ducharme and Cooper have both been in the top five in points in the WoO Sprint series this season, and Braden Eyler has won a couple in that series. Add in the other iRacers with 4000-5000 iRatings out there, plus real talent like Perrego and Planck, and you're going to have a great show. Been fun to watch for sure.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FondaFan16 said:

It would be cool, but I don't think it could ever happen given the scanning technology they use to get the tracks into the sim.  Unfortunately there is nothing left to scan for those tracks. 

Tracks can be built without scanning... its just a lot of time to do it... Im sure if someone wanted to invest to make it happen, it would. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, inthecuse said:

I will not unbox my equipment until the promoters start paying quality purses😂

Ducharme made $200 on Wednesday night in the DTD league alone.  There is some serious money out there in Sim racing.

I think we pay out close to $300 a race (thanks to our sponsors), plus a point fund that pays the top 10 at the end of the season. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Rabbitt said:

Tracks can be built without scanning... its just a lot of time to do it... Im sure if someone wanted to invest to make it happen, it would. 

I was thinking the same thing. Between all of the video and photos at the Syracuse Mile, I would think they could get very close. Plus they could get real life quotes/experiences from drivers that made the mile special and work those idiosyncrasies into the sim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, inthecuse said:

I was thinking the same thing. Between all of the video and photos at the Syracuse Mile, I would think they could get very close. Plus they could get real life quotes/experiences from drivers that made the mile special and work those idiosyncrasies into the sim.

Iracing has made it a point to not do stuff if they don’t feel they can do it right. That’s why it took so long for dirt. If they cannot scan the track and make it identical I doubt they will both. IMO having unscanned tracks starts watering things down

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2021 at 6:16 PM, PatsJags14 said:

Iracing has made it a point to not do stuff if they don’t feel they can do it right. That’s why it took so long for dirt. If they cannot scan the track and make it identical I doubt they will both. IMO having unscanned tracks starts watering things down

But they have a couple of Asphalt tracks they just through dirt on to have more dirt tracks. But I'm sure it's not cheap to scan a track. Would be nice if they could get some more local tracks in. But I think they could do a decent job of Syracuse if they wanted to. 

I've been running a lot, mostly Street Stocks and 305 Sprints. Never been a big fan of sprints especially the 305s. But when you are racing with one it's fun as heck. You can put those cars anywhere you want it with just a little lift of the throttle or tap the break and then BAM you take off. Ironically I actually won my first race with a 305 Sprint. And I beat guys with Class A, B, and C licenses.. I had just gained my Class D before I won. My first pole and win, heck my first top 4 start even. I led 29 of 30 laps. I was sweating like crazy the last 10 laps when I though I just might have a chance if I don't mess up. I ran the low groove the whole race. Everyone else train raced up top and tried to do slide jobs. After that I wrecked out in I think 3 or 4 straight races. I actually enjoy the street stocks more, there is a lot more to street stocks being so much heavier and much smaller tires, it really takes a lot of throttle control to be fast in a street stock. I've raced I think 3 times in the 358 mods, I have no idea how anyone drives those. The speed of the 305 sprint car with what seems ten times the weight. There is a much thinner line between traction and spinning with the modifieds. It's so hard to describe but so far it's the hardest thing I've tried to drive. My best finished was 7th after starting 12th. Never passed anyone, accept when they spun out or wrecked. And only went one lap down. 

I also noticed that the 358 and Big Block Modifieds are available before the UMP Modifieds. I tested one and it's like driving a street stock. I don't know if its because they really wanted to get more people signed up so they can jump in to the 358s and Big Blocks sooner, cause they are far and above harder to drive then a UMP modified from my testing.  So far the our style modifieds are the hardest thing I've tried to drive.  I did try a limited late model, it took about 30-40 straight laps of not wrecking before I started to get the handle of it. Not sure I'll be competitive any time soon. But our modifieds are the hardest thing to race on dirt so far. In my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

I also noticed that the 358 and Big Block Modifieds are available before the UMP Modifieds. I tested one and it's like driving a street stock. I don't know if its because they really wanted to get more people signed up so they can jump in to the 358s and Big Blocks sooner, cause they are far and above harder to drive then a UMP modified from my testing.  So far the our style modifieds are the hardest thing I've tried to drive.  I did try a limited late model, it took about 30-40 straight laps of not wrecking before I started to get the handle of it. Not sure I'll be competitive any time soon. But our modifieds are the hardest thing to race on dirt so far. In my opinion.

That is exactly opposite of what most everyone I've talked to has said.  To me the northeast modifieds are about the only cars that drive right and give a feel like they have side bite.  Having raced sportsman and 358 in real life, the cars in iracing react and do what I expect them to.  They pretty well nailed those cars IMO.  Late Models and E-mods, well, I don't think there's any way possible the real thing drives that bad.  I have friends who race Late Model and E-mod in real life who say the same thing.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

But they have a couple of Asphalt tracks they just through dirt on to have more dirt tracks. But I'm sure it's not cheap to scan a track. Would be nice if they could get some more local tracks in. But I think they could do a decent job of Syracuse if they wanted to. 

I've been running a lot, mostly Street Stocks and 305 Sprints. Never been a big fan of sprints especially the 305s. But when you are racing with one it's fun as heck. You can put those cars anywhere you want it with just a little lift of the throttle or tap the break and then BAM you take off. Ironically I actually won my first race with a 305 Sprint. And I beat guys with Class A, B, and C licenses.. I had just gained my Class D before I won. My first pole and win, heck my first top 4 start even. I led 29 of 30 laps. I was sweating like crazy the last 10 laps when I though I just might have a chance if I don't mess up. I ran the low groove the whole race. Everyone else train raced up top and tried to do slide jobs. After that I wrecked out in I think 3 or 4 straight races. I actually enjoy the street stocks more, there is a lot more to street stocks being so much heavier and much smaller tires, it really takes a lot of throttle control to be fast in a street stock. I've raced I think 3 times in the 358 mods, I have no idea how anyone drives those. The speed of the 305 sprint car with what seems ten times the weight. There is a much thinner line between traction and spinning with the modifieds. It's so hard to describe but so far it's the hardest thing I've tried to drive. My best finished was 7th after starting 12th. Never passed anyone, accept when they spun out or wrecked. And only went one lap down. 

I also noticed that the 358 and Big Block Modifieds are available before the UMP Modifieds. I tested one and it's like driving a street stock. I don't know if its because they really wanted to get more people signed up so they can jump in to the 358s and Big Blocks sooner, cause they are far and above harder to drive then a UMP modified from my testing.  So far the our style modifieds are the hardest thing I've tried to drive.  I did try a limited late model, it took about 30-40 straight laps of not wrecking before I started to get the handle of it. Not sure I'll be competitive any time soon. But our modifieds are the hardest thing to race on dirt so far. In my opinion.

I could be wrong but I believe the rookie tracks they released that are pavement tracks with dirt on them were basically a test when dirt first got released and they had I think 1 dirt track scanned

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

But they have a couple of Asphalt tracks they just through dirt on to have more dirt tracks. But I'm sure it's not cheap to scan a track. Would be nice if they could get some more local tracks in. But I think they could do a decent job of Syracuse if they wanted to. 

I've been running a lot, mostly Street Stocks and 305 Sprints. Never been a big fan of sprints especially the 305s. But when you are racing with one it's fun as heck. You can put those cars anywhere you want it with just a little lift of the throttle or tap the break and then BAM you take off. Ironically I actually won my first race with a 305 Sprint. And I beat guys with Class A, B, and C licenses.. I had just gained my Class D before I won. My first pole and win, heck my first top 4 start even. I led 29 of 30 laps. I was sweating like crazy the last 10 laps when I though I just might have a chance if I don't mess up. I ran the low groove the whole race. Everyone else train raced up top and tried to do slide jobs. After that I wrecked out in I think 3 or 4 straight races. I actually enjoy the street stocks more, there is a lot more to street stocks being so much heavier and much smaller tires, it really takes a lot of throttle control to be fast in a street stock. I've raced I think 3 times in the 358 mods, I have no idea how anyone drives those. The speed of the 305 sprint car with what seems ten times the weight. There is a much thinner line between traction and spinning with the modifieds. It's so hard to describe but so far it's the hardest thing I've tried to drive. My best finished was 7th after starting 12th. Never passed anyone, accept when they spun out or wrecked. And only went one lap down. 

I also noticed that the 358 and Big Block Modifieds are available before the UMP Modifieds. I tested one and it's like driving a street stock. I don't know if its because they really wanted to get more people signed up so they can jump in to the 358s and Big Blocks sooner, cause they are far and above harder to drive then a UMP modified from my testing.  So far the our style modifieds are the hardest thing I've tried to drive.  I did try a limited late model, it took about 30-40 straight laps of not wrecking before I started to get the handle of it. Not sure I'll be competitive any time soon. But our modifieds are the hardest thing to race on dirt so far. In my opinion.

I actually feel like the BB's and 358's are fairly easy to drive. It's all about throttle control, especially with the BB's. Even on a tacky track you want to be 1/2 or 2/3rds throttle in the corners. Don't get too sideways either. The hardest car on dirt to drive by far is a non-wing sprint car. Those things are animals. And if you only have a one monitor setup like myself, it's hard to see in the corners if you are under somebody  since you have to be extremely sideways. Took me about 5-6 complete races to get used to them. It took me about 10 laps to get used to running a BB. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't done the non-winged sprints yet. Looking forward to testing them out. I do have to say I love racing the winged sprints. It's amazing how quickly I got use to it. I really thought it was going to be much harder to be competitive. 

But please take in to account I have never actually ever been in any kind of a real race car. My only experience is online.  

4 hours ago, tygarl said:

I actually feel like the BB's and 358's are fairly easy to drive. It's all about throttle control, especially with the BB's. Even on a tacky track you want to be 1/2 or 2/3rds throttle in the corners.

This is what I was talking about, it just seems like our modifieds have such a much thinner line between traction and spinning compared to the other cars I've driven. Today I'm going to spend a few hours just practicing trying to keep control. With the modifieds momentum seems to be even more important. If you don't go in fast enough the car will push like a mother. If you go in to fast it whips right around on you. With street stocks and ump mods seems they are slow enough and heavy enough that it's not as hard to move them to where you can grab traction. And the winged sprint feels like it drives itself most the time and can be maneuvered anywhere. But again I'm no expert.. yet ;)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2021 at 2:19 PM, inthecuse said:

I was thinking the same thing. Between all of the video and photos at the Syracuse Mile, I would think they could get very close. Plus they could get real life quotes/experiences from drivers that made the mile special and work those idiosyncrasies into the sim.

I'd rather have Fonda, Utica, Malta, Port Royal, Big Diamond, Grandview, Canandaigua, Brewerton, Fulton, dirt Oswego, and a bunch of other northeast tracks than the mile. The mile would be cool to hot lap on, but it would race horribly. It would either be impossible to pass or be a crash fest. 
 

Cedar Lake is probably my favorite dirt  track to race at. Lernerville, Fairbury and Limaland are pretty fun too. All those tracks have 2-3 grooves still when the track is used up. I've caught the inside wall out of 4 at Weedsport one too many times to put that up there with them lol, but that stays pretty racy too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't get use to Limaland, those damn tires are annoying!!!!

I think Oswego would be really cool because I would love to race the asphalt mods on there as well. Plus maybe they would think about adding SUPERMODS!!!!!! 

But I disagree about The Mile. Because they would have to use video and images, they could add a second groove like it had in 1990 when Toby decimated the Non-Qualifiers race, and would of won the 200 if his engine could of lasted. I hadn't seen a car that dominant on the Mile since the Batmobile.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.















×
×
  • Create New...