Short Track Super Series Sunshine Swing Modified Confirmed Drivers

1 minute ago, klempa said:

PremiumDiesel and KB19 thank you for the information! So when a driver like Mike Mahaney or Stewart Friesen  runs both STSS and SDS, he has 2 separate cars?

Not necessarily. A DIRT-legal big-block is legal on the STSS, and there are times where a big block is preferred. The STSS allows taller bodies than the SDS, too, (next time you go to a STSS race, take notice on the extra strip on the top of the door to take advantage of the door height rules), so, the bigger teams such as Mahaney and Friesen do usually use different cars for those shows, but, for example, in talking to Eric Williams the other night, he's going down to Bubba with his 100% DIRT legal car that he runs weekly at Canandaigua, just throwing American Racers on.  I realize I didn't do a very good job of answering your question, haha. I'm sorry. 

21 minutes ago, KB19 said:

Not necessarily. A DIRT-legal big-block is legal on the STSS, and there are times where a big block is preferred. The STSS allows taller bodies than the SDS, too, (next time you go to a STSS race, take notice on the extra strip on the top of the door to take advantage of the door height rules), so, the bigger teams such as Mahaney and Friesen do usually use different cars for those shows, but, for example, in talking to Eric Williams the other night, he's going down to Bubba with his 100% DIRT legal car that he runs weekly at Canandaigua, just throwing American Racers on.  I realize I didn't do a very good job of answering your question, haha. I'm sorry. 

Very interesting, I didn’t realize there were that many nuances between the different series! Is it safe to say that, in general, the SDS cars are as fast as the STSS cars?

24 minutes ago, klempa said:

Very interesting, I didn’t realize there were that many nuances between the different series! Is it safe to say that, in general, the SDS cars are as fast as the STSS cars?

In general, yes.  To watch the 2 there's no discernable difference in speed.  In reality, the tire differences should make the STSS formula faster every time.  DIRTcar Hoosiers are a spec tire with stiff sidewalls whereas the American Racer tires are built like open late model tires... more overall grip than the DIRTcar Hoosiers.

Interesting! Got it, thanks!

50 minutes ago, matt_s86 said:

In general, yes.  To watch the 2 there's no discernable difference in speed.  In reality, the tire differences should make the STSS formula faster every time.  DIRTcar Hoosiers are a spec tire with stiff sidewalls whereas the American Racer tires are built like open late model tires... more overall grip than the DIRTcar Hoosiers.

17 hours ago, klempa said:

90% of the time the guys winning a stss race are utilizing a big small block or a fully ported “open” 358. 99.9% of the time either of those combinations on American racers would beat a dirtcar legal big block on Hoosiers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

90% of the time the guys winning a stss race are utilizing a big small block or a fully ported “open” 358. 99.9% of the time either of those combinations on American racers would beat a dirtcar legal big block on Hoosiers. 

I don't know but I think Spec 358 ( non ported )  STSS  and DIRT  with weight break has been hot set up some races on Ice 

• Confused 1

The Spec 358 was good last night in the heats, but it was big blocks that were the winning combination in the feature.

But what about Mike Maresca last night? Awesome drive to the top 5. That guy is going to be someone to really watch this year I think.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

The Spec 358 was good last night in the heats, but it was big blocks that were the winning combination in the feature.

impossible X2

9 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

But what about Mike Maresca last night? Awesome drive to the top 5. That guy is going to be someone to really watch this year I think.

In case you missed it he's been someone to watch the last few years

• Like 1

Yes I know, but I think he is on the brink of really breaking out. It's actually cool to see some new names  contending for wins now.  

I have always liked Freisen, use to root for him a lot. Now I find myself happy any time someone can pass him. (In modified racing). And with Matt Sheppard struggling right now a lot of other drivers are getting a chance to shine right now.

Also pretty impressed with that Hightower. Given time, chance, and running with our guys. He could become a contender for wins. I know he has had a pretty good career in everything he has raced. Guy like that would benefit from a ride up North.

• Confused 1

Thanks to DTD.TV and the STSS for the quick turn around on highlights all week from Bubba!

Looking forward to seeing night 3’s when they get a chance to post.

Looked like some awesome racing. Loved the battle between Rudolph and Friesen for the lead on night 2.

I was curious if any of the Louisiana/Arkansas/Texas teams from the STSS South region made the trip?