2 hours ago, westracing01 said:

Ding ding ding. We have a winner. For smaller dollar teams, you now have another place to race and a little more ammo in the argument of which engine combination to go with. 

I say that as we ourselves are arguing over where to race and with what engine. Funds are limited so we must spend wisely. Keep what you got, or go with something new. Key component of that is where we can race and how often. 

Interesting times... 

Here’s another thing. Now you have two tracks with totally different configurations. Will the same car work well at both places or will the big teams have two different cars, one for each place and once again the smaller team will be scratching their butts to try to win or keep up.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gonna be some tough decisions for DTD posters on Fridays 😄

Outlaw Speedway will have Sprint Cars weekly... that alone would be enough of a reason for me to switch to Utica Rome. 

Sundays weekly are tough, With my brothers team we race Friday nights at Brewerton weekly. We race Friday, the occasional Canandaigua on Saturday and use Sunday to wash/clean and start to get things r

Posted Images

1 hour ago, RJO said:

Here’s another thing. Now you have two tracks with totally different configurations. Will the same car work well at both places or will the big teams have two different cars, one for each place and once again the smaller team will be scratching their butts to try to win or keep up.

No. Nobody is building separate cars just for Utica or Fonda......they may have 2 cars with different engine combos, and each one works better at one track or another, so they use both....but the cars themselves won’t be different. The chassis and bolt ins that won at volusia, won at weedsport during octoberfast, can’t get much more different in track configurations. For the most part what a team would use at a big fast place like Fonda, would be what they use at a big place like Utica. Pull gear, change shocks maybe and ship it. The guys winning change what they do behind the wheel far more than they change motors or parts. 

1 hour ago, leroy said:

Interesting that all the sudden  Brewerton/Fulton have decided to open with or without fans.

We know more now  🙃

What's your recommendation leroy ? ...... 358's @ Fulton , Big Blocks @ Utica Rome or bring my camper and do both .... LOL

12 hours ago, racermurray said:

What's your recommendation leroy ? ...... 358's @ Fulton , Big Blocks @ Utica Rome or bring my camper and do both .... LOL

That depends on where you live I reckon..   Also yet to be determined on fans allowed?

I like your bring the camper idea a lot.  Do both!

I live close to Canandaigua and Dundee . So I expect to be at both those tracks many weeks if allowed.   But my favorite two tracks as of late are Big Diamond and Port Royal.   I will be traveling to PA for sure.  No doubt

I also like Fonda ,Utica Rome ,Brewerton and Fulton .  👍 Can not go wrong with any choice there.   I  would not rule out a visit to any of those for me.   

Like every season, I also hope to hit a new track or two.

Just not enough days/weeks in a season to do all.    

Any night at the dirt track is good!

• Like 2
15 hours ago, RJO said:

Isn’t this an advantage “big teams” have at any track???? 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Scott Friers said:

Isn’t this an advantage “big teams” have at any track???? 

As part of a small team we know what it's like to try & keep up with the bigger, well funded talent laden teams, it's been that way forever! Just when you think you have made the changes necessary to catch up a little, things change once again! The fast guys will always be fast if not faster!

The everchanging technology is tough to keep up with, a feature winning car from a couple of years ago is a mid pack finishing car today... that'' s just how it is today! It's been like that forever! I doubt it's going to change!

Interesting choice for Deyo to go with Fridays in competition with Albany Saratoga. I'd figure he would've stuck with Sundays cause Devils Bowl moved to Saturdays and then, the only competition for drivers was going to be with Glen Ridge. Interested to see how it plays out.

2 hours ago, TheFieldFiller said:

Interesting choice for Deyo to go with Fridays in competition with Albany Saratoga. I'd figure he would've stuck with Sundays cause Devils Bowl moved to Saturdays and then, the only competition for drivers was going to be with Glen Ridge. Interested to see how it plays out.

Don't forget about Brewerton  , much closer to Utica Rome than Albany Saratoga is .

8 hours ago, rpm72x said:

Sundays have not worked in a decade.....doing the same thing would end up with the same results. 

Friday gives you the option of a Sunday rain date if you choose too also.

9 hours ago, rpm72x said:

Sundays have not worked in a decade.....doing the same thing would end up with the same results. 

I tend to disagree about that if you look at what Devils Bowl had for car counts the last handful of years. However, if someone could "make Sundays work", it's Deyo. The dudes been the best thing to happen to dirt racing in the last number of years. He's created a series that is growing constantly and you can make the argument that the STSS is as good if not better than the SDS (only argument you could make for SDS favor is they have SDW and Deyo doesn't). He's brought the Fonda Speedway back to life as well as done a terrific job with Georgetown. 

5 minutes ago, TheFieldFiller said:

I tend to disagree about that if you look at what Devils Bowl had for car counts the last handful of years. However, if someone could "make Sundays work", it's Deyo. The dudes been the best thing to happen to dirt racing in the last number of years. He's created a series that is growing constantly and you can make the argument that the STSS is as good if not better than the SDS (only argument you could make for SDS favor is they have SDW and Deyo doesn't). He's brought the Fonda Speedway back to life as well as done a terrific job with Georgetown. 

I agree Deyo has done real well with Fonda and Georgetown . The STSS seems to be doing well too.

Brett must feel Fridays will do much better than Sundays?.   Probably does not want to just 'make it work'.   Would rather do well

I certainly will not dispute that thinking.   

24 minutes ago, leroy said:

I agree Deyo has done real well with Fonda and Georgetown . The STSS seems to be doing well too.

Brett must feel Fridays will do much better than Sundays?.   Probably does not want to just 'make it work'.   Would rather do well

I certainly will not dispute that thinking.   

I'd like to hear his reasoning. Not saying that in a negative way, just curious as to why running against A/S and Brewerton would be better than running against 1 track (Glen Ridge) on Sundays. Plus, with Brett, I'd almost assuredly learn something. 

6 minutes ago, TheFieldFiller said:

I'd like to hear his reasoning. Not saying that in a negative way, just curious as to why running against A/S and Brewerton would be better than running against 1 track (Glen Ridge) on Sundays. Plus, with Brett, I'd almost assuredly learn something. 

Look at it this way.  Why do you think  A/S and Brewerton  have chosen for years to run Fridays instead of racing on Sunday?.

Friday is the better night 

Not rocket science there

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, leroy said:

Look at it this way.  Why do you think  A/S and Brewerton  have chosen for years to run Fridays instead of racing on Sunday?.

Friday is the better night 

Not rocket science there

Yes but, its not rocket science to see that you're competing against 2 tracks (Idk much about Brewertons car counts) at least 1 of which has great car counts in all classes as well as one of the best fan bases out there. The competition is alot tougher to draw drivers in on Fridays than Sundays so it makes sense to run when the competition is easier to draw in (Sundays). 

Sundays May work at a place like devils bowl, idk if there are a bunch of other options close by on Friday and Saturday nights. When it comes to Utica on sundays..... look at the options teams and fans have on fridays and saturdays within reasonable distance from the place. It’s a cny track so if a cny fan or team is going to the races and are choosing.....they have brewerton, Fulton, canandaigua, outlaw, can am, Fonda, thunder mountain...now add in Malta, woodhull etc. and there are a ton of options prior to Sunday that are reasonable drives. I’d rather have to compete against other facilities on fridays than race on sundays when everyone has already exhausted their budget for the weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

Sundays May work at a place like devils bowl, idk if there are a bunch of other options close by on Friday and Saturday nights. When it comes to Utica on sundays..... look at the options teams and fans have on fridays and saturdays within reasonable distance from the place. It’s a cny track so if a cny fan or team is going to the races and are choosing.....they have brewerton, Fulton, canandaigua, outlaw, can am, Fonda, thunder mountain...now add in Malta, woodhull etc. and there are a ton of options prior to Sunday that are reasonable drives. I’d rather have to compete against other facilities on fridays than race on sundays when everyone has already exhausted their budget for the weekend. 

There is a reason the number of tracks racing weekly on Sunday is far ,far fewer than those racing Fridays and Saturdays. 

Deyo is far from stupid

21 minutes ago, leroy said:

There is a reason the number of tracks racing weekly on Sunday is far ,far fewer than those racing Fridays and Saturdays. 

Deyo is far from stupid

Way back in the day of the PA Tri Track series, Big Diamond on Friday used to average anywhere from the mid 30's to mid 40's, Grandview on Saturday somewhere in the 50's and Penn National on Sunday would Struggle to hit the mid 30's on car counts. Even now you have 3 tracks within an hour of each other Grandview, New Egypt and Bridgeport all running the same headline division on Saturdays.  Pretty much pointing out that no one wants to run on Sunday.

6 hours ago, TheFieldFiller said:

Yes but, its not rocket science to see that you're competing against 2 tracks (Idk much about Brewertons car counts) at least 1 of which has great car counts in all classes as well as one of the best fan bases out there. The competition is alot tougher to draw drivers in on Fridays than Sundays so it makes sense to run when the competition is easier to draw in (Sundays). 

As was mentioned by another post, I dont look at it like he is competing against Brewerton or Malta. I think he will get mostly Fonda cars, some UR cars and a couple from Brewerton and a couple from Malta. He doesnt need to get cars from Brewerton or Malta to end up with full fields in all divisions.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ranger22 said:

Way back in the day of the PA Tri Track series, Big Diamond on Friday used to average anywhere from the mid 30's to mid 40's, Grandview on Saturday somewhere in the 50's and Penn National on Sunday would Struggle to hit the mid 30's on car counts. Even now you have 3 tracks within an hour of each other Grandview, New Egypt and Bridgeport all running the same headline division on Saturdays.  Pretty much pointing out that no one wants to run on Sunday.

Tri City Raceway Park in Franklin PA and Eriez Speedway in Erie Pa both only a little over an hour apart from each other are both racing on Sunday’s and are successful with racing that night.

• Like 1