Sundays weekly are tough, With my brothers team we race Friday nights at Brewerton weekly. We race Friday, the occasional Canandaigua on Saturday and use Sunday to wash/clean and start to get things ready for the next week. If you race on Sunday you do the normal maintenance on Monday but you cant start on it until after we all get done with work so it puts us behind. The occasional Weedsport isn't bad because its every now and then but it still puts us a day behind on everything.  I think friday nights is a good choice, Its something different and as we have seen the rain gods do not cooperate with Utica on sundays LOL

Rob Hile

• Like 5
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gonna be some tough decisions for DTD posters on Fridays 😄

Outlaw Speedway will have Sprint Cars weekly... that alone would be enough of a reason for me to switch to Utica Rome. 

Sundays weekly are tough, With my brothers team we race Friday nights at Brewerton weekly. We race Friday, the occasional Canandaigua on Saturday and use Sunday to wash/clean and start to get things r

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Rebob0510 said:

Sundays weekly are tough, With my brothers team we race Friday nights at Brewerton weekly. We race Friday, the occasional Canandaigua on Saturday and use Sunday to wash/clean and start to get things ready for the next week. If you race on Sunday you do the normal maintenance on Monday but you cant start on it until after we all get done with work so it puts us behind. The occasional Weedsport isn't bad because its every now and then but it still puts us a day behind on everything.  I think friday nights is a good choice, Its something different and as we have seen the rain gods do not cooperate with Utica on sundays LOL

Rob Hile

I 100% agree with this. Monday night is pretty much the only night off from working on the race car. I really don't like racing on Sundays. 

• Like 1

Thunder on the Thruway Series just announced with Fonda Speedway. Utica Rome will run on May 14th and July 30th and pay $4,000 to win for Modifieds.  They will also run the New Yorker on Sept 5th and pay $10,000 to win. Fonda will run May 8th and July 3rd and pay $4,000 to win and July 24th and pay $4,444 on Lou Lazzaro night. All events will be a draw/redraw format so you wont have to watch the fast cars always start on the front row! 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

Thunder on the Thruway Series just announced with Fonda Speedway. Utica Rome will run on May 14th and July 30th and pay $4,000 to win for Modifieds.  They will also run the New Yorker on Sept 5th and pay $10,000 to win. Fonda will run May 8th and July 3rd and pay $4,000 to win and July 24th and pay $4,444 on Lou Lazzaro night. All events will be a draw/redraw format so you wont have to watch the fast cars always start on the front row! 

Big money weekend at Fonda July 3rd and 4th with $14,000 up for grabs in winner's money...Wonder how many of the NJ/PA guys might come up for that who support Deyo's southern shows. 

On 2/17/2021 at 6:47 AM, dudemann said:

probably not in the heat races .

I used a w16 at fonda a few races. You could probably run 10th in the feature of you were pretty good. Heat races were rough and if it was heavy I needed hazard lights

On 2/20/2021 at 1:20 PM, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

Big money weekend at Fonda July 3rd and 4th with $14,000 up for grabs in winner's money...Wonder how many of the NJ/PA guys might come up for that who support Deyo's southern shows. 

I have a hard time believing that tracks like Bridgeport, New Egypt and Grandview won't have some kind of special event or payout available on the 4th of July weekend. 

Plus, drivers will be in the thick of the points at that time.  Anyone chasing a points title would need to stay home on Saturday night.

• Like 2
On 2/20/2021 at 8:48 AM, DIRTCar97 said:

I 100% agree with this. Monday night is pretty much the only night off from working on the race car. I really don't like racing on Sundays. 

Yup, running three nights a week back in the day didn't leave for a whole lot of family time. Monday's weren't too bad as long as we didn't get tore up on Sunday, but if we did the whole week was scramble. 

2 hours ago, FondaFan16 said:

I have a hard time believing that tracks like Bridgeport, New Egypt and Grandview won't have some kind of special event or payout available on the 4th of July weekend. 

Plus, drivers will be in the thick of the points at that time.  Anyone chasing a points title would need to stay home on Saturday night.

Surprisingly, the only bigger money event that weekend is the Georgie Stevenson Memorial at Big Diamond that Friday. But, yes all 3 of those tracks have point races that Saturday night so you won't see any of the guys down this way at Fonda for the whole weekend. 

On 2/19/2021 at 5:50 PM, Rebob0510 said:

Rob Hile

The last sentence is key- there's no way I'd try Sundays after all the rainouts over the years, going back to Sunday races in the New Venture days. I'd try Thurs or Fridays.....just to shake things up.

I wouldn'nt worry about other tracks, Deyo is the leader right now in my opinion with dirtcar fading off....would YOU build a new big block engine right now if you were a car owner?? I certainly would not. Canandaigua is on the island now......OCFS even backed off on bb's now

Of course,I'm assuming brewerton will still be silent this year

9 minutes ago, oilman said:

The last sentence is key- there's no way I'd try Sundays after all the rainouts over the years, going back to Sunday races in the New Venture days. I'd try Thurs or Fridays.....just to shake things up.

I wouldn'nt worry about other tracks, Deyo is the leader right now in my opinion with dirtcar fading off....would YOU build a new big block engine right now if you were a car owner?? I certainly would not. Canandaigua is on the island now......OCFS even backed off on bb's now

Of course,I'm assuming brewerton will still be silent this year

Brewerton just announced last week plans to open up in early May...

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

Brewerton just announced last week plans to open up in early April...

Brewerton Speedway sets May 7 Opener for full 2021 Racing Slate

Brewerton's purse is considerably lower than Fonda & U-R giving the smaller modified teams something to think about.....much more money across the board at Deyo's tracks

IMO now is the time brewerton should switch to 358s. Fulton had a better car count than brewerton in 2019 and with more and more guys moving up and down to 358s, that class will only grow. Same goes for them as it does for Utica/Fonda, having the tandem Tracks on the same rules package helps everyone but a select few teams. The weekly car count at Brewerton hovers in the high teens normally by midsummer and with a few staple drivers gone this upcoming year I’d guess that’s about all they will get. 

15 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

IMO now is the time brewerton should switch to 358s. Fulton had a better car count than brewerton in 2019 and with more and more guys moving up and down to 358s, that class will only grow. Same goes for them as it does for Utica/Fonda, having the tandem Tracks on the same rules package helps everyone but a select few teams. The weekly car count at Brewerton hovers in the high teens normally by midsummer and with a few staple drivers gone this upcoming year I’d guess that’s about all they will get. 

Could they not allow 358 to race with the big blocks?   or does that already happen?   Brewerton is not exactly a big size track

53 minutes ago, leroy said:

Could they not allow 358 to race with the big blocks?   or does that already happen?   Brewerton is not exactly a big size track

Yes 358s make up a couple of cars weekly. They virtually have zero chance of beating the big blocks there on a typical Friday. The spec heads are a far cry from the 358s guys like Alan used to run there and put on clinics against the big blocks. 

13 hours ago, Devin Willis said:

I used a w16 at fonda a few races. You could probably run 10th in the feature of you were pretty good. Heat races were rough and if it was heavy I needed hazard lights

i personally wouldnt use one at fonda, but at utica they could possibly work very well.

10 hours ago, dudemann said:

i personally wouldnt use one at fonda, but at utica they could possibly work very well.

What's the logic at UR, because it's always dry slick & dusty? That means 2 cars to run both, 2 different engine combo's!

4 minutes ago, REDDFOXX said:

What's the logic at UR, because it's always dry slick & dusty? That means 2 cars to run both, 2 different engine combo's!

I don't think his logic is to run both. I think dudemann is saying if you had a w16 you could make U-R your home track...but that don't think your going to Fonda with that motor. I think.

P.S. - Man I love your work in Sanford and Son. I used to think my dad was funny growing up when he would insult us all and have fake heart attacks....turns out when i go older and saw you on TV Land he was just ripping off your work. I may have told you that before on here but it is worth repeating.

• Haha 1

Scottnorwood, Well Elizabeth it was the big one! Dam near killed me! Then you wouldn't have had anyone to pick  on for being critical of Howie's houses of pain! I'm not just a thorn in Howieworld but I think there are a couple of joints I can find fault with! Thank you for the compliment once again!

• Like 1
On 2/23/2021 at 10:31 AM, REDDFOXX said:

scott answered it, just stating that utica would be a more logical place to run a w-16 than fonda.there are nights fonda is torturous on motors as you would know very well.jmo

• Like 1
13 hours ago, dudemann said:

scott answered it, just stating that utica would be a more logical place to run a w-16 than fonda.there are nights fonda is torturous on motors as you would know very well.jmo

Unfortunately I haven't been at all impressed with the W16 at any of the tracks I've attended, I'm sure it has it's place (Mohawk?) but like any other engine on a given night it may prove itself to be competitive. With out the weight break it's a slug IMO. With Fonda & UR on the same rules & all one weight, other than cost, I can't see it being very popular. Please guys tell me your experiences with the W16, maybe I'm missing something. I'm old but still willing to learn!

5 minutes ago, REDDFOXX said:

Unfortunately I haven't been at all impressed with the W16 at any of the tracks I've attended, I'm sure it has it's place (Mohawk?) but like any other engine on a given night it may prove itself to be competitive. With out the weight break it's a slug IMO. With Fonda & UR on the same rules & all one weight, other than cost, I can't see it being very popular. Please guys tell me your experiences with the W16, maybe I'm missing something. I'm old but still willing to learn!

Its pretty good anywhere with a spec small block race but against open small blocks isn't really a fair comparison