Any old timers with some knowledge of Lou Lazzaro's career?

I am looking for some wins that Lou Lazzaro supposedly won in Canada at four different tracks.  Also...there is supposed to be a win at Monroe County Fairgrounds Speedway and a single win at the Tampa Fairgrounds...which I think went by Florida State Fairgrounds Speedway.  Any help would be sincerely appreciated.  Would anyone have any knowledge of these wins or tracks in Canada?  Thanks ahead of time.

• Like 1

I really believe he just has 1 win in Florida, the very first one in 1978. Canada has always been a mystery. I have a pic of him with a checkered flag in 1983. 

I have a newspaper clipping that says he won a Monroe, no date though. I can't post the picture here. I have another one that says he has 2 wins at Monroe, again no date. My guess is 1969

I am reading an article printed in the Schenectady Gazette dated Thursday August 21st, 1969 written by Joan Secor that states...

"No matter how you look at it, you just can't avoid mentioning the name Lou Lazzaro when you talk about area stock car racing. We get criticized for keeping his name in print, but if a guy goes out and wins five feature events in less than a week, you just don't ignore that situation... and that is exactly what the "Monks" did.

On Tuesday night, the Utica ace hauled to the dirt track at Monroe County Fairgrounds in Rochester. He won. On Thursday night he returned to the same place. He won again. When Friday night rolled around, he was at Albany-Saratoga Speedway for their double header. He began by winning the consy (which had been rained out on July 11th) then he took the first feature victory. After that, he copped his heat, started 11th in the second feature and went on to win.

Saturday night found "Monks" at Fonda along with Jerry Cook, Hank Thomas, Bugs Stevens, Ken Shoemaker, Jim Hurtubise and many more. Time trials had just gotten off the ground when a mighty thunderstorm hit, forcing postponement until this Saturday night.

Lazzaro made it five wins in as many attempts as he took home the checkers at Utica-Rome Sunday night. The win was his 24th of the season, and he beat out Bernie Miller, Dick Fowler, Kenny Platt and Jerry Cook in the process."

The date of the 1st Monroe County event would have been August 12th, 1969.
The date of the 2nd Monroe County event would have been August 14th, 1969.
The date of the double features at Albany-Saratoga would have been August 15th, 1969.
The date of the Fonda rained out show would have been August 16th, 1969.
The date of the Utica-Rome show would have been August 17th, 1969.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, BobMiller said:

I am reading an article printed in the Schenectady Gazette dated Thursday August 21st, 1969 written by Joan Secor that states...

"No matter how you look at it, you just can't avoid mentioning the name Lou Lazzaro when you talk about area stock car racing. We get criticized for keeping his name in print, but if a guy goes out and wins five feature events in less than a week, you just don't ignore that situation... and that is exactly what the "Monks" did.

On Tuesday night, the Utica ace hauled to the dirt track at Monroe County Fairgrounds in Rochester. He won. On Thursday night he returned to the same place. He won again. When Friday night rolled around, he was at Albany-Saratoga Speedway for their double header. He began by winning the consy (which had been rained out on July 11th) then he took the first feature victory. After that, he copped his heat, started 11th in the second feature and went on to win.

Saturday night found "Monks" at Fonda along with Jerry Cook, Hank Thomas, Bugs Stevens, Ken Shoemaker, Jim Hurtubise and many more. Time trials had just gotten off the ground when a mighty thunderstorm hit, forcing postponement until this Saturday night.

Lazzaro made it five wins in as many attempts as he took home the checkers at Utica-Rome Sunday night. The win was his 24th of the season, and he beat out Bernie Miller, Dick Fowler, Kenny Platt and Jerry Cook in the process."

The date of the 1st Monroe County event would have been August 12th, 1969.
The date of the 2nd Monroe County event would have been August 14th, 1969.
The date of the double features at Albany-Saratoga would have been August 15th, 1969.
The date of the Fonda rained out show would have been August 16th, 1969.
The date of the Utica-Rome show would have been August 17th, 1969.

The Monk was one of the Best for sure, and remember these Five Wins came on Asphalt and Dirt , how many modified Drivers can do this today ??

• Like 1

i'm almost positive i was at one of his wins in Canada..  might even have been his last when he was still driving for RC Putman

2 hours ago, Towman said:

The Monk was one of the Best for sure, and remember these Five Wins came on Asphalt and Dirt , how many modified Drivers can do this today ??

2 for certain - Erick Rudolph and Stewart Friesen. But you're right... it does take a special talent.

2 hours ago, BobMiller said:

2 for certain - Erick Rudolph and Stewart Friesen. But you're right... it does take a special talent.

But Louie used to do it with the SAME car, unlike Rudolph & Friesen who used different race cars

• Like 1

I would be willing to bet a bunch of money that both Friesen and Rudolph could get the job done in the same car if there were a series that raced on both surfaces.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Pinesol said:

I really believe he just has 1 win in Florida, the very first one in 1978. Canada has always been a mystery. I have a pic of him with a checkered flag in 1983. 

Pine, thanks yes, I have his Volusia win.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, racer80 said:

But Louie used to do it with the SAME car, unlike Rudolph & Friesen who used different race cars

Alot of guys did back in the day. I know Merv Treichler and Gary Iulg and I'm sure many others just at Ransomville and Lancaster.

13 hours ago, macho said:

Alot of guys did back in the day. I know Merv Treichler and Gary Iulg and I'm sure many others just at Ransomville and Lancaster.

True, but that is mostly because there were not that many Dirt Tracks in and around CNY until around the early 70"s when asphalt tracks started to switch over to Dirt. If you wanted to race back then you almost had to have the capabilities to Race on both !!!!  Todays Modified Drivers for the most part could not do both with all the new gadget items they have in their Racers!!!!

FONDA, N.Y. 113 WINS, 5/8mi DIRT
WEEDSPORT, N.Y.
17 WINS, 1/2mi DIRT
ROLLING WHEELS, N.Y.
6 WINS, 5/8mi DIRT
CANADAIGUA, N.Y.
2 WINS, 1/2mi DIRT
UTICA/ROME, N.Y.
28 WINS ON ASPHALT, 2 ON DIRT
BREWERTON, N.Y.
1 WIN, 1/4 PAVED
VICTORIA, N.Y.
34 WINS, 1/2mi DIRT
MALTA, N.Y.
16 WINS ON ASPHALT, 15 ON DIRT
MONROE COUNTY, N.Y.
3 WINS, 1/2mi DIRT
RIVERSIDE PARK, M.A.
2 WINS, 1/8mi PAVED
FULTON, N.Y.
1 WIN, 1/3mi PAVED
LEBANON VALLEY, N.Y.
1 WIN, 1/2mi DIRT
ISLIP, N.Y.
1 WIN, 1/5mi PAVED
AIRBORNE PARK, N.Y.
1 WIN, 1/2mi PAVED
5 MILE POINT, N.Y.
1 WIN, 1/4mi DIRT
NAZARETH, P.A.
1 WIN, 1/2mi DIRT
ORANGE COUNTY, N.Y.
1 WIN, 1/2mi DIRT
VOLUSIA COUNTY, F.L.
1 WIN, 1/2mi DIRT

=247

MOST SEASON WINS, 27 IN 1969

AND LIKE I SAID, I DON'T HAVE CANADA'S RECORDS.

8 hours ago, Towman said:

True, but that is mostly because there were not that many Dirt Tracks in and around CNY until around the early 70"s when asphalt tracks started to switch over to Dirt. If you wanted to race back then you almost had to have the capabilities to Race on both !!!!  Todays Modified Drivers for the most part could not do both with all the new gadget items they have in their Racers!!!!

I dont follow your logic at all. Wasn't the discussion about guys who won on dirt and asphalt with the same car?? I mention guys that did it and there were more but you start with 'Ya but'.........  

3 hours ago, macho said:

I dont follow your logic at all. Wasn't the discussion about guys who won on dirt and asphalt with the same car?? I mention guys that did it and there were more but you start with 'Ya but'.........  

My Logic was ....Back in the day it was done...By todays standards most modified drivers could not do it..mostly because of the way the RacerCars are so  Technically set up..running Dirt with same Racecar on asphalt would be very difficult...

20 hours ago, Pinesol said:

FONDA, N.Y. 113 WINS, 5/8mi DIRT
WEEDSPORT, N.Y.
17 WINS, 1/2mi DIRT
ROLLING WHEELS, N.Y.
6 WINS, 5/8mi DIRT
CANADAIGUA, N.Y.
2 WINS, 1/2mi DIRT
UTICA/ROME, N.Y.
28 WINS ON ASPHALT, 2 ON DIRT
BREWERTON, N.Y.
1 WIN, 1/4 PAVED
VICTORIA, N.Y.
34 WINS, 1/2mi DIRT
MALTA, N.Y.
16 WINS ON ASPHALT, 15 ON DIRT
MONROE COUNTY, N.Y.
3 WINS, 1/2mi DIRT
RIVERSIDE PARK, M.A.
2 WINS, 1/8mi PAVED
FULTON, N.Y.
1 WIN, 1/3mi PAVED
LEBANON VALLEY, N.Y.
1 WIN, 1/2mi DIRT
ISLIP, N.Y.
1 WIN, 1/5mi PAVED
AIRBORNE PARK, N.Y.
1 WIN, 1/2mi PAVED
5 MILE POINT, N.Y.
1 WIN, 1/4mi DIRT
NAZARETH, P.A.
1 WIN, 1/2mi DIRT
ORANGE COUNTY, N.Y.
1 WIN, 1/2mi DIRT
VOLUSIA COUNTY, F.L.
1 WIN, 1/2mi DIRT

=247

MOST SEASON WINS, 27 IN 1969

AND LIKE I SAID, I DON'T HAVE CANADA'S RECORDS.

Thanks Pinesol ... I have this same list.  In fact, there looks like there may be a fourth Monroe win.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, HowieTheHat said:

Thanks Pinesol ... I have this same list.  In fact, there looks like there may be a fourth Monroe win.

Yep, I think I sent it to you a while ago.

9 hours ago, Pinesol said:

Yep, I think I sent it to you a while ago.

Send it again.  I will compare it to the three dates I have now.

8 hours ago, oilman said:

I believe he won at St Gregorie Quebec. CRC series

Checked the DIRT modified series stats and according to them, he only has three series wins. Two at Fonda and one at Canandaigua..  Doesn't mean necessarily that he didn't win there though.

On 3/11/2021 at 8:31 PM, HowieTheHat said:

Checked the DIRT modified series stats and according to them, he only has three series wins. Two at Fonda and one at Canandaigua..  Doesn't mean necessarily that he didn't win there though.

Maybe it was one of the Labor Day weekend races then.  You need to ask on the Quebec history site.

6 minutes ago, oilman said:

Maybe it was one of the Labor Day weekend races then.  You need to ask on the Quebec history site.

Please, clue me in!!!  As a researcher and historian...I would love to see this site!  Link???