Anyone or group interested in buying the fast track? Sure hope somebody steps forward soon as the grand emperor probably has his eyes on it! 

He'll turn it into a rest camp for Cuban refugees and Buddhist monks with gleaming gold temples lining the skyline and squander millions of tax $$s.

First order of business will be to blow up the grandstands, but of course!!!!!!!!

• Confused 1

WTF...?  As much as I enjoyed Rolling Wheels, the last thing Upstate New York needs is another dirt track.  We already have one of the highest concentrations of dirt tracks in the United States, and we are stretching cars across them.  Let me know when cars aren't able to qualify because there are too many mods at a weekly track, then we can talk about adding tracks back.  Sad to see it go, but it is time.

I can't even comprehend the rest...

• Like 3
1 hour ago, GGgraphics said:

Anyone or group interested in buying the fast track? Sure hope somebody steps forward soon as the grand emperor probably has his eyes on it! 

He'll turn it into a rest camp for Cuban refugees and Buddhist monks with gleaming gold temples lining the skyline and squander millions of tax $$s.

First order of business will be to blow up the grandstands, but of course!!!!!!!!

Grand emporor? Cuban refugees? Tax dollars? Sounds political to me....  please stick to racing. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I have great memories of the wheels…..but hopefully something happens to it soon so that we don’t have to have a thread started about it every 3 months. It’s done, gone get over it. 

• Like 4

Hey, when it comes to Rolling Wheels I will keep dreaming that it will be back. Even if it only host 2 or 3 mod races a year, maybe a good Late Model and a couple Sprint car shows. 

But Rolling Wheels is prime for a lot of other types of racing or events.  Bring back the truck shows, maybe a monster truck show, car show, motor cycle show, Thrills and Spill night.  There are a lot of things that the track can be used for. If it was just to bring another modified venue I would agree we don't need it. But its the biggest half mile in NY, and puts on some of the best racing. It always has, and it's awesome for Sprint Cars even the 360s.  

Yes it will take a lot of money to fix the place, repair the tour/vip area, grand stands, tear up and lay a new surface. The area Rolling Wheels holds is perfect for a lot of different motorsports options. There is room to put in a motocross track, you can bring in the flat track races.

But that's my dream.. 

Pave it wide and high and run supers/sbs there on Friday nights with a mix of tour type mods and late models on a rotating basis. There’s too many dirt tracks around there as it is. Yes, the history is there but there are a lot of historical tracks. 

4 minutes ago, Zach Mahoney said:

Pave it wide and high and run supers/sbs there on Friday nights with a mix of tour type mods and late models on a rotating basis. There’s too many dirt tracks around there as it is. Yes, the history is there but there are a lot of historical tracks. 

The last thing we need is a paved track in NY

• Like 3

Not enough Modifieds for all the Dirt tracks, hell their aren't enough cars for a couple of asphalt tracks we have now.

I still think Rolling Wheels could be revived. Like I said only 2 or 3 mod races at the most. And then all the other things I mentioned. And there are plenty of them to keep Rolling Wheels busy all summer. Say one SDS race, one STSS, and then a 200 lapper. Use pit road as a hot pit no mandatory stops and all in one day. The only real break is after the Consi for teams to move their gear to the infield, no support classes. Night before a DIRT legal 358 race 100 laps, and a 50 lap Sportsman. Just a complete modified weekend. For the STSS and SDS bring in the Pro Stocks as a support class.  Fill in the rest of the year with car/motorcycle/truck shows, swap meets, flea markets, maybe a WoO or ASCoC race. Big money in Monster Truck and Thrill shows, Spills and thrills night, Demos, rent out for club races. I mean there is so much you can use the grounds for. What kind of things do the do at Weedsport when there isn't a modified race there? They have had USAC and other sprint shows. A real promoter could make Rolling Wheels Raceway in to Rolling Wheels Motorsports Park. I actually think in the tax pages it's called something like Finger Lakes Speedway or something now.

By the way there is already a beautiful asphalt track down in Owego that is just sitting there wasting away if you need another asphalt track venue.

Since money no longer grows on trees it is doubtful if there will ever be another race at Rolling Wheels. 

Rolling wheels is dead and gone…..hadn’t had a good surface outside of the WoO in years and years. Most guys didn’t care to go there…..either fast and rough or slick snd dusty as hell. If someone is looking to dump millions into a racetrack, pick one that’s still in operation and donate the money to it….your going to be in the same boat cause turning a profit from rolling wheels isn’t going to happen. 

1 hour ago, Jack Brady said:

Not enough Modifieds for all the Dirt tracks, hell their aren't enough cars for a couple of asphalt tracks we have now.

I still think Rolling Wheels could be revived. Like I said only 2 or 3 mod races at the most. And then all the other things I mentioned. And there are plenty of them to keep Rolling Wheels busy all summer. Say one SDS race, one STSS, and then a 200 lapper. Use pit road as a hot pit no mandatory stops and all in one day. The only real break is after the Consi for teams to move their gear to the infield, no support classes. Night before a DIRT legal 358 race 100 laps, and a 50 lap Sportsman. Just a complete modified weekend. For the STSS and SDS bring in the Pro Stocks as a support class.  Fill in the rest of the year with car/motorcycle/truck shows, swap meets, flea markets, maybe a WoO or ASCoC race. Big money in Monster Truck and Thrill shows, Spills and thrills night, Demos, rent out for club races. I mean there is so much you can use the grounds for. What kind of things do the do at Weedsport when there isn't a modified race there? They have had USAC and other sprint shows. A real promoter could make Rolling Wheels Raceway in to Rolling Wheels Motorsports Park. I actually think in the tax pages it's called something like Finger Lakes Speedway or something now.

By the way there is already a beautiful asphalt track down in Owego that is just sitting there wasting away if you need another asphalt track venue.

Seems to me there are many tracks that were asphalt that turned to dirt. Fulton, Plattsburgh, Albany, Utica Rome and I believe Devils Bowl. I’m sure there are more. 

It's truely sad to say but I believe the WHEELS is done, when Jeremie tried to get it we all had high hopes for a come back but it never happened...I know I have many, many wonderful memories of times spent there !!!!!  

16 minutes ago, Towman said:

It's truely sad to say but I believe the WHEELS is done, when Jeremie tried to get it we all had high hopes for a come back but it never happened...I know I have many, many wonderful memories of times spent there !!!!!  

Destroyed by another greedy Promoter(???)

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, racer80 said:

Destroyed by another greedy Promoter(???)

huh?

I was only there twice and never saw what the big deal was. It was a decent track but they made Outlaw look like they ran a quick show with no dickin around and they made Thunder Mountain look like they had very little dust.  I just remember some of the top drivers complain about how late they got out of there and how they couldnt see going into 1 when they dropped the green.

48 minutes ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

I was only there twice and never saw what the big deal was. It was a decent track but they made Outlaw look like they ran a quick show with no dickin around and they made Thunder Mountain look like they had very little dust.  I just remember some of the top drivers complain about how late they got out of there and how they couldnt see going into 1 when they dropped the green.

Exactly, the surface hadn’t been good in years and years. The racing was rarely good and the dust was awful. The only time the place was really nice to race on was with the outlaws and it was usually so damn cold you couldn’t enjoy the night to begin with. People always remember the good times and re write history when a place closes, but the truth is most racetracks that close are far past their prime as a facility. The racing, the grounds, and the turnouts usually started on the downward spiral years before the last race. If a track constantly produces great racing with huge crowds….the last thing it’s doing is closing. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

If a track constantly produces great racing with huge crowds….the last thing it’s doing is closing. 

Unless you're Danbury Racearena or Plainville Stadium - then you become a mall.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If a track constantly produces great racing with huge crowds….the last thing it’s doing is closing. 

Or the Reading Fairgrounds.

Some of the best races I went to were at Rolling Wheels.  And also some of the worst.  Not any more so than other tracks.

Two main things that stand out to me.  The place was always king of the 'great white milkers'.   That track could turn a two or three division show into 5 hr plus and counting.  The other thing being the highest ticket prices in the land

I still had a lot of good times there.  And I hate to see any track go away.  

• Like 1

I loved racing there and I think many others liked to race there and watch races there. But the thing that stands out about Rolling Wheels is that basically every race was an 'event'. It was the one place you'd have top cars in all classes from Orange County, Can Am, Ransomville and any track in between. It was centrally located and you could see so many drivers you'd otherwise  only read about. Nothing I loved more than camping there for World Series weekend.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mickey55 said:

Or the Reading Fairgrounds.

Your talking about tracks that closed 30 -40 years ago….There were far more tracks then than today, and there was a reason they closed. In some cases tracks do get bought out for malls, or other developments, but many of those are in locations that you have to expect growth and developing. You no longer have to worry about malls being built so that eliminates that, a housing development on rt 5 across from a trailer park….maybe. Rolling wheels didn’t close for those reasons. The days of big mostly flat dirt tracks are gone for the most part….teams don’t want to race on them and they do not produce as good of a show. 

44 minutes ago, macho said:

I loved racing there and I think many others liked to race there and watch races there. But the thing that stands out about Rolling Wheels is that basically every race was an 'event'. It was the one place you'd have top cars in all classes from Orange County, Can Am, Ransomville and any track in between. It was centrally located and you could see so many drivers you'd otherwise  only read about. Nothing I loved more than camping there for World Series weekend.

The days of seeing cars from all over come together to race are gone….no matter the speedway. The massive split in rules in the modified areas stopped that, along with costs. You need a massive budget to field competitive dirtcar big block cars along with stss cars and then throw in a spec head and a pa spec head. Most teams have to select what they are going to focus on and stick to those rules packages.