OCFS 102 SDS - Someone SLAP the director and camera man.

This is ridiculous, I've just watched 20+ laps of Decker leading while they are talking about cars racing behind him. RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!! These guys couldn't produce a race correctly if their lives depended on it. GOD!!!!!!! 

By the way when did OCFS start using the same dirt as the Southern Tier tracks? 

• Like 1

It's a joke of a broadcast. Should have multiple cameras in the corners and down the back stretch like the days of rush hour on dirt or even DTD.TV would cover this race better. Talk about a complete dust bowl... can't wait till Brewerton Tuesday where I can actually see some racing...

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Jack Brady said:

This is ridiculous, I've just watched 20+ laps of Decker leading while they are talking about cars racing behind him. RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!! These guys couldn't produce a race correctly if their lives depended on it. GOD!!!!!!! 

By the way when did OCFS start using the same dirt as the Southern Tier tracks? 

If they follow more then a handful of cars its nothing but dust.   Last year turn one was at least viewable.  Can't even see that tonight.  Sure glad they brought in this magical team to do track prep.

It's like Woodhull but bigger.. lol You can't see anything through turn 4. 

I will say since I first posted they have stayed with the racing better. They do have a back stretch camera but I only saw it once.

Rush Hour was run like a true television production, the guys who did it worked for NASCAR, NCAA, Monster Trucks, the Olympics, Hockey and actual short track Dirt Modified Racing.  These productions seem to be running off a much smaller production team, and they just pick people off the street who can hold a camera. I don't know who the director is but I swear he has no racing experience at all... 

• Like 1

They certainly made each race feel much more like an “event” back then. There was always some back story or rivalries being talked about prior to the event starting. When TNN used to air the WoO it was the same thing. The streams now could be played without any announcer and it would feel the same as it does with them. Back then, these productions were aimed at trying to gain popularity, build the customer base. Today, they are streamed so that diehard race fans can watch from home. There’s zero effort make it a show. 

• Like 2

too much silt sand in the dirt will never be right unless replaced . this is according to a higher up at oc I talked to they are really trying to put organic material in but too little too late in the yr now,,as far as production,you gets what you pays,,,or not,,, im sure those people back then were paid well for their good work these new dudes get a free ticket.

• Like 1

Kind of on topic….does anyone know if you can find any of the old weekly televised events from weedsport online? I believe it was the “Empire Dirt Series”.

Regarding dust conditions, that was probably the dustiest I can remember in quite some time but to be fair it has been brutally hot and dry for a stretch now. I had actually been checking Facebook all day half expecting them to announce the race was was cancelled due to excessive heat.  Of course, maybe it was because I got burned by driving up there for the original date only to get there to have it postponed due to a forecast of rain. I’ve been going to races long enough to know that the recipe for a dusty race was on the menu.

I was there so I didn’t see the stream but having watched a number of streams during the pandemic I’ve come to the conclusion that the only ones you can reasonably follow are of small tracks with no obstructions in the infield. Televising races even on the best day is frustrating especially if you have a dog in the fight but tracks like OCFS are a total waste for streaming. Not sure what individuals did the production for yesterday’s DirTVision show but the crew that OCFS put in place at the beginning of last year were horrendous.   

I can't believe I am suggesting this.... it would be interesting to have a tour race that was broadcast by DTD and hosted by the more prominent personalities on the forum.

Something like a STSS show from Fonda with KB19, RPM72, Leroy, and Downthebackstretch in the booth calling the race. Video by BobMiller.

I can't tell if I would be annoyed or entertained for but I would tune in.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, scottnorwood said:

I can't believe I am suggesting this.... it would be interesting to have a tour race that was broadcast by DTD and hosted by the more prominent personalities on the forum.

Something like a STSS show from Fonda with KB19, RPM72, Leroy, and Downthebackstretch in the booth calling the race. Video by BobMiller.

Haha that would be fun.

48 minutes ago, B-Train said:

Regarding dust conditions, that was probably the dustiest I can remember in quite some time but to be fair it has been brutally hot and dry for a stretch now. I had actually been checking Facebook all day half expecting them to announce the race was was cancelled due to excessive heat.  Of course, maybe it was because I got burned by driving up there for the original date only to get there to have it postponed due to a forecast of rain. I’ve been going to races long enough to know that the recipe for a dusty race was on the menu.

I was there so I didn’t see the stream but having watched a number of streams during the pandemic I’ve come to the conclusion that the only ones you can reasonably follow are of small tracks with no obstructions in the infield. Televising races even on the best day is frustrating especially if you have a dog in the fight but tracks like OCFS are a total waste for streaming. Not sure what individuals did the production for yesterday’s DirTVision show but the crew that OCFS put in place at the beginning of last year were horrendous.   

I know a lot of tracks/promoters use it for an excuse.  But the brutally hot and dry deal does not fly with me.

There is such a thing as water and trucks.? ?

A track might just as well say that the water truck broke down and they could not find parts.  Better than saying fuel is to expensive

I am no track prep expert.  But I think the bigger problem is a lot of tracks(most of them in NY) ,leave the track sealed up all week.  Hard as a rock.  They do not dig it up.  You could have a monsoon and the water still would not penetrate into the track surface.

• Like 5

i was hoping for more tv coverage than just a stream from the track. with all the resources out at knoxville, i wonder if the camera operator could even hear the track announcer. i would assume most of these SDS shows are producer/director/td all in one. you would be surprised how many shows on cable have been distilled down to this. 

if the DirtVision continues just to be a stream of the track camera for the mods then i will have to cancel. i ordered one DTD broadcast and it felt like a tv broadcast. 

12 hours ago, Rmitchell said:

It's a joke of a broadcast. Should have multiple cameras in the corners and down the back stretch like the days of rush hour on dirt or even DTD.TV would cover this race better. Talk about a complete dust bowl... can't wait till Brewerton Tuesday where I can actually see some racing...

You guys miss Glenn Donnelly now?

• Thanks 1

The DTD produced races on Flo... Hell, Flo in general (USAC coverage, etc) are A LOT better than what we get with Dirtvision. 

Was the OCFS race using Dirtvision cameras, etc or was it OCFS's standard shlock? They had two cameras in the same location under the roof of the covered grandstand which is different from previous streams I've seen so I figured it was Dirtvisions crew. 

I actually thought the dust was BETTER than what I've seen in the past. At least I could see the cars for most of the track. 

Absolutely agree than the Rush Hour broadcast shown above is how it should be done.

The surface at the House of Powder... Well... You can't make chicken soup out of chicken shit.

2 hours ago, scottnorwood said:

That would be a pretty diverse group, what with Downthebackstretch being the nagging wife reporter asking questions all night.

• Haha 1

I’m throwing this out there, it’s just my own thoughts on the production staff at races these days. I’m wondering if the production crews are much smaller at all of these telecasts due to so many being broadcast live nowadays. In the past, you had 1 crew that traveled to the televised races. Now everything is streamed. You can’t have say your 5 guys in 15 different places. So the streaming companies are relying heavily on the tracks video guys for a lot of the production of the telecast. There’s only 1 Jeff Converse, Mel Thomas, Bob Miller or Dean Mills. They can’t be at every event across the country. With all of the races we can view these days, the production must be stretched very thin, I would think?

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Sicklajoie said:

That would be a pretty diverse group, what with Downthebackstretch being the nagging wife reporter asking questions all night.

During intermission we could have you model all your Big Johnson shirts for the crowd. Would be very entertaining. Lol. 

2 minutes ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

During intermission we could have you model all your Big Johnson shirts for the crowd. Would be very entertaining. Lol. 

I didn't have a shirt, I had a hat. Pay attention.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, leroy said:

I know a lot of tracks/promoters use it for an excuse.  But the brutally hot and dry deal does not fly with me.

There is such a thing as water and trucks.? ?

A track might just as well say that the water truck broke down and they could not find parts.  Better than saying fuel is to expensive

I am no track prep expert.  But I think the bigger problem is a lot of tracks(most of them in NY) ,leave the track sealed up all week.  Hard as a rock.  They do not dig it up.  You could have a monsoon and the water still would not penetrate into the track surface.

Spending too much money on race cars. 😱

6 hours ago, westracing01 said:

They had two cameras in the same location under the roof of the covered grandstand which is different from previous streams I've seen so I figured it was Dirtvisions crew. 

The reason for two cameras in the same position is for one camera to always be on the leader and the other camera to show racing through the field.  They had a bunch of different types of cameras at the track last night. But who ever was directing or the DA either couldn't or wouldn't switch cameras. Had one shot all night from the backstretch camera. They did use the droid camera a few times. But I'm still thinking they used OCFS's tv crew. It would only make sense to use the people all ready there. They used the Weedsport crew for their SDS race correct?