• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whether you like mandee or not, enjoy her videos or not….she’s probably done more to promote northeast modified racing than anyone else besides Brett Deyo. Obviously she has quite a social media/YouTu

How ya figure that?  If Brodix themselves are willing to say that there is zero performance reason for it (sounds like slightly sloppy machine work to me) then what would be the point?   I'm norm

I have never made it through one of her videos. I tried a couple times but when I see a YouTube thumbnail that includes an exaggerated facial reaction....I already know what to expect. I am sure

Posted Images

I read a comment about his car being illegal in another thread.   I think?

But that was it.   I have no knowledge on what the issues are.

From Pauch Jr: 

As most of you were aware we were protested Saturday Night to pull our heads which we gladly did. This motor was a sealed motor by New Egypt's tech inspector. He specifically sealed it himself and no issues were had. When the heads came out they were sent out with no worries. We were notified late last night that there might be an issue. We contacted the individual who we had purchased the heads from and spoke to Brodix. Brodix informed us there was no mechanical advantage and that there was nothing done to the heads. The person who we bought the heads from told us that the guy who owns the track has purchased 3 sets of these heads as well. The owner of the track made the final decision and if they claim our heads are illegal, tracks better be pulling seals and sending heads to brodix after each race or we all aren't on a level playing field. We were very disappointed with how the situation was handled by ownership.

From New Egypt:

Following a post-race inspection, due to a protest Saturday night September 4, 2021, the Rick Holsten owned #96 was found to have altered heads. As a result of the infraction, all points and money from the September 4, 2021 event will be forfeited. In addition, the team is suspended from any further points races for the 2021 campaign and they will lose an additional 100 points.

The heads were shipped to Brodix Cylinder Heads in Mena, Arkansas where the investigation found the heads to be altered to the degree which constituted an infraction of the NES rules.

From me:

Let me be clear. I am probably the biggest fan of Pauch Jr. in the Southern Tier. So I'm biased in the matter. Plus, I know nothing about the technical aspect of racing, so my input is meaningless. 

• Thanks 1

Both the track and Billy Pauch Jr.  posted their side of it on Facebook.  I think on Billy's page someone posted in the comments the supposed report by Brodix Cylinder Heads which details what they found.  Like Nate I know nothing about machining heads.  Seems to me the irregularity could just be something done at the time the heads were machined/built and not something Pauch or his car owner did?  Be curious what others who know more about the mechanicals and sealing blocks think.    

I am not a huge fan of his but do root for him when I watch stuff down that way.   A few people brought up who owns the track and the Mike Gular car being one and the same?  Supposedly his heads were also tested and were legal from what I read.  

The email from Brodix made it sound like maybe there was an ultra slight, non-performance altering amount of essentially "damage" on the head from the valve seat going in (and touches from the cutter) that left a mark in the chamber.  So by specific definition, there was some kind of modification to the chamber that was beyond the rules.  

But, at some point bigger brains have to prevail.  If they're going to DQ an engine that they approved and sealed over some scratches in the chamber they're going to need to check every head in the field every week, which isn't realistic. 

• Like 5

Basically what it read to me as, if you look at any brodix heads that race at New Egypt most will have that same "modification", which isn't man made but happens internally and was in no way a performance booster.

Billy Jr. is going to do the right thing and just not race New Egypt next year.  I think he was very professional in his response. And he said the promoter was up front with him the whole time, the Brodix people were extremely friendly, and Morgantini wanted blood... lmao,.. ok told Billy to sue.. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, John Williams said:

Just like his old man. Cries when caught cheating.

Billy Jr. doesn't act anything like Sr. , Billy Jr. is funny and out going and has always seemed to me been very nice to fans.  Now Billy Sr. has always came off cold and not as fan friendly, unless he is having a really good day. But I haven't been around Sr. as much as I have Jr.

2 minutes ago, John Williams said:

Just like his old man. Cries when caught cheating.

How ya figure that?  If Brodix themselves are willing to say that there is zero performance reason for it (sounds like slightly sloppy machine work to me) then what would be the point?  

I'm normally a very black and white when it comes to rules like this, but if what Brodix said in their statement is all that was found this a bad DQ.   

• Like 7

“If Brodix themselves are willing to say that there is zero performance reason for it (sounds likeslightly sloppy machine work to me) then what would be the point?  “

i did not see them say that in their statement. I did see the 96 team say that. Regardless, Pauch jr. Is a class act and usually carries himself with class and dignity.

Edited by Uncle tom
Formatted incorrectly
5 minutes ago, Uncle tom said:

“If Brodix themselves are willing to say that there is zero performance reason for it (sounds likeslightly sloppy machine work to me) then what would be the point?  “

i did not see them say that in their statement. I did see the 96 team say that. Regardless, Pauch jr. Is a class act and usually carries himself with class and dignity.

From Brodix: 

As per your request, we inspected 2 pair of
SPEC Chevy cylinder heads. On one pair there was a very slight, machined cut above a portion of the seat ring, that lightly touched the chamber on one side. We also noticed that while blending the bottom of the valve job, the cutter had touched the aluminum in a few places just below
the base of the seat ring. On the other pair of heads we inspected, the valve job was confined to the seat ring only. Both pair of heads met factory specifications in all other areas. If we can be of any further assistance please don't hesitate to let us know. Thank you.
BRODIX

1 hour ago, FondaFan16 said:

There's a pretty good story on the front page about this topic.  Ya'll should maybe head there and check it out.  

Anyone care to elaborate on the referenced grudge between Pauch Sr and the track? 

This particular issue with the cylinder head …. by the letter of the law would be illegal. Now is it a performance enhancement…no not really. New Egypt was looking for a reason to get rid of Pauch….I’m sure the feud with Sr. Has a lot to do with it. Now with that said….if they started pulling Lots of spec heads in the Northeast/Canada and removing valves….they would find lots of actual Illegal modifications. They are everywhere.

• Like 4

I do not know the tech side of things.   what is illegal.  or not

But I do not agree with the comments that the track wants to get rid of Pauch jr.  That would make zero sense

I am not a huge Jr fan.   But I bet there are a lot of them out there.  Especially in Jersey

1 hour ago, special k said:

Wouldn't this all go back to the person/company that inspected and sealed the heads? Isn't that the whole idea of sealed engines/heads etc?

And there lies the issues with the idea of sealed engines....if the engine is inspected and sealed as legal, and then is never opened but is later deemed illegal...who bears that responsibility?  

And what i meant by Brodix saying no performance advantage was assuming that the team was being fully honest, which I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be in this case.

I wouldn't know the guy if he was standing next to me, but it certainly appears he is being upfront and honest about it. Don't most people that know they illegal and gonna fail, refuse tech? Take their lumps that way, and just change engine for next race?

Whatever the rules are and whatever the infraction is, I have never seen a rule book state

"if you are illegal but your illegality produced no performance advantage, then that's ok."

• Like 2
12 hours ago, chas71 said:

Whatever the rules are and whatever the infraction is, I have never seen a rule book state

"if you are illegal but your illegality produced no performance advantage, then that's ok."

It seems this driver did everything humanly possible to make sure this motor was legal before sealed by having tracks own expert tech man go to motor builders before he ever used motor and inspect all areas involved that are required prior to sealing  So how could you blame this team ? That I don't get unless track is saying there was collusion from there own tech  experts ? One other thing was this one cylinder area or all on both heads ? And has it been said these heads had valve job or valve work 3 times in past ? And is it  possible from day one from Brodix these scratches could have been there prior to shipment for sale ?  Maybe in house expert rpm72x could answer these questions   If I was driver and team and 100% know they were told by sellers , builders , track tech all was  legal  prior to sealing I would not take this laying down for simple reason other tracks could do this to any team for any reason any time and   try to ruin there name ect ...First I would give track chance to change there ruling and admit mistake after further review  to media.....If track doesn't team and driver could ask themselves what there reputation is worth and talk to lawyer if reputation is worth legal fees ....

6 hours ago, old racer said:

It seems this driver did everything humanly possible to make sure this motor was legal before sealed by having tracks own expert tech man go to motor builders before he ever used motor and inspect all areas involved that are required prior to sealing  So how could you blame this team ? That I don't get unless track is saying there was collusion from there own tech  experts ? One other thing was this one cylinder area or all on both heads ? And has it been said these heads had valve job or valve work 3 times in past ? And is it  possible from day one from Brodix these scratches could have been there prior to shipment for sale ?  Maybe in house expert rpm72x could answer these questions   If I was driver and team and 100% know they were told by sellers , builders , track tech all was  legal  prior to sealing I would not take this laying down for simple reason other tracks could do this to any team for any reason any time and   try to ruin there name ect ...First I would give track chance to change there ruling and admit mistake after further review  to media.....If track doesn't team and driver could ask themselves what there reputation is worth and talk to lawyer if reputation is worth legal fees ....

No the areas in question would not have been touched when the heads were new castings from brodix. If it was only 1 cylinder in question This probably happened when the valve seats were replaced. Whether it was hit removing the old seat or while pressing the new seat in. 

• Like 1