I have read so much bashing of Oswego and WRG for what happened during Super Dirt Week.  Many people who know me, know I am not the biggest fan of today's modifieds. 

My question was when 200 lap races were put on schedules, it was about drivers and crews being able to race and have a car that can last 200 laps.  It wasn't always about being the fastest, but being around at the end. 

Why can't today's DIRT Modified drivers plan for that?  It seems that as soon as a track has some character, it needs to be changed to accommodate the cars and drivers of today. 

Don't todays drivers have to adjust to the tracks, maybe change lines to avoid holes, drive slower to be around at the end?  Crews make decisions to use parts that will last?  

I saw the video of Erick Rudolph's flip, and yes there might have been a hole, but should that hole been enough to cause his car to have flipped like that?  The cars racing off the right rear do not help the situation.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Sprint car drivers bitch, whine, complain or refuse to race when the track has a few rough spots. But your wondering why drivers and others complained when there were massive spots where the surface was completely missing. Maybe in this day and age some figure teams should build cars that can race on anything, others feel that after decades of building and preparing clay racetracks, someone would figure out how in the hell to do it correctly. 

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

Sprint car drivers bitch, whine, complain or refuse to race when the track has a few rough spots. But your wondering why drivers and others complained when there were massive spots where the surface was completely missing. Maybe in this day and age some figure teams should build cars that can race on anything, others feel that after decades of building and preparing clay racetracks, someone would figure out how in the hell to do it correctly. 

There are a lot more variables to preparing a race track then there are to building a durable car.  Promoter can't control, rain, wind, sun, humidity, but a driver can put a shock on a car with a stronger shaft can't they?

Race cars aren't demo derby cars.  There is only so much you can plan for when the core design of the car is meant for a reasonably smooth race track.  It would be like asking a flat track motorcycle racer to run a supercross course.  Could they do it?  Sure.  It would be a terrible show that nobody wants to see, but they could putter around the course slowly and make it to the end.  I do get what you're saying, and I'm sure some did change things to better handle it.  But you can't change anything in a race car to fix the dust I saw in some of the videos, and holes and ruts that open and change can't always be perfectly accounted for.        

2 hours ago, Luv360's said:

I have read so much bashing of Oswego and WRG for what happened during Super Dirt Week.  Many people who know me, know I am not the biggest fan of today's modifieds. 

My question was when 200 lap races were put on schedules, it was about drivers and crews being able to race and have a car that can last 200 laps.  It wasn't always about being the fastest, but being around at the end. 

Why can't today's DIRT Modified drivers plan for that?  It seems that as soon as a track has some character, it needs to be changed to accommodate the cars and drivers of today. 

Don't todays drivers have to adjust to the tracks, maybe change lines to avoid holes, drive slower to be around at the end?  Crews make decisions to use parts that will last?  

I saw the video of Erick Rudolph's flip, and yes there might have been a hole, but should that hole been enough to cause his car to have flipped like that?  The cars racing off the right rear do not help the situation.

Your a clueless fellow arnt you? Please take your Prius and show us how we should putter around out there.

12 minutes ago, Spinnin_Tires said:

I would like to nominate Luv360's for Clueless thread of the year. The original post was bad but the "but a driver can put a shock on a car with a stronger shaft can't they" post really put it over the edge LOL

Actually, you might want to go listen to the winner's interview. This is exactly what his team did....worked on the car and changed things to handle the surface. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Cheryl said:

Actually, you might want to go listen to the winner's interview. This is exactly what his team did....worked on the car and changed things to handle the surface. 

Hence were I got the idea from - Mat Williamson - but as Spinnin_Tires says I am clueless....Maybe if guys actually fabricated something instead of making a phone call and waiting for UPS to show up, cars would have some more ingenuity to them and the class would be more then 24 different wraps racing around in circles on a skating rink!

5 hours ago, Luv360's said:

This is not a complaint toward WRG; I've been a supporter of theirs for many years and continue to do so.  There were many circumstances leading up to the 2021 edition that brought it's issues, and they did what they could to try to remedy the surface. 

However, to sit there and say that just ride around or build better shocks, etc. is ridiculous to me.  It's not just the holes, its the track breaking up with debris, dust, etc.  that make it more difficult.  There's a reason we abandoned the double file to lap 190 for safety.  You can ride around half speed all day, but you will never have a shot at winning.  The guys who started in the first third of the field could more easily ride around at just fast enough to stay there, but for those who started in the second half of the field, you have to pass/race/keep pace to have a shot at winning if you were still in at the end, which meant finding lines through the 'character spots' as you put it. 

If you lose more than a lap, typically you might as well pull in because you only receive free pass for one lap down, so your theory of riding around only holds a little bit of water.  At that point to ride around at a pace to ensure nothing breaking at all, you'll be several laps down and win about the same as breaking early going for position.  We all knew the track had issues, but it's hard to prepare for how good or bad it will stay and what track crew may or may not do before the race starts.  The track would gain rough spots as the race went on in lines that weren't as bad initially due to drivers trying to find lines through or around

PS

My rock screen broke after an early restart where I was pelted with pieces of track and/or rock and/or other debris running about 26th.  Each ensuing yellow pieces would rattle loose and I would peel them off and throw on the infield.  Attached are photos of my shoulder/arm bruising from said restart as of yesterday.  Our car that only had about 9 races on it is now destroyed from trying to finish the distance with cracks in the frame and welds broken all over, and we will likely sit out Eastern States.  We completed approx. 128 laps riding as much as we could and passing only on restarts or if we caught someone..

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
9 minutes ago, Keith Flach said:

This is not a complaint toward WRG; I've been a supporter of theirs for many years and continue to do so.  There were many circumstances leading up to the 2021 edition that brought it's issues, and they did what they could to try to remedy the surface. 

However, to sit there and say that just ride around or build better shocks, etc. is ridiculous to me.  It's not just the holes, its the track breaking up with debris, dust, etc.  that make it more difficult.  There's a reason we abandoned the double file to lap 190 for safety.  You can ride around half speed all day, but you will never have a shot at winning.  The guys who started in the first third of the field could more easily ride around at just fast enough to stay there, but for those who started in the second half of the field, you have to pass/race/keep pace to have a shot at winning if you were still in at the end, which meant finding lines through the 'character spots' as you put it. 

If you lose more than a lap, typically you might as well pull in because you only receive free pass for one lap down, so your theory of riding around only holds a little bit of water.  At that point to ride around at a pace to ensure nothing breaking at all, you'll be several laps down and win about the same as breaking early going for position.  We all knew the track had issues, but it's hard to prepare for how good or bad it will stay and what track crew may or may not do before the race starts.  The track would gain rough spots as the race went on in lines that weren't as bad initially due to drivers trying to find lines through or around

PS

My rock screen broke after an early restart where I was pelted with pieces of track and/or rock and/or other debris running about 26th.  Each ensuing yellow pieces would rattle loose and I would peel them off and throw on the infield.  Attached are photos of my shoulder/arm bruising from said restart as of yesterday.  Our car that only had about 9 races on it is now destroyed from trying to finish the distance with cracks in the frame and welds broken all over, and we will likely sit out Eastern States.  We completed approx. 128 laps riding as much as we could and passing only on restarts or if we caught someone..

1.jpg

2.jpg

Come on Keith man up just throw a stronger shock on put double wields on the car and just wear knight armor next year.  It’s only a 90,000 dollar car.  

2 hours ago, Luv360's said:

Hence were I got the idea from - Mat Williamson - but as Spinnin_Tires says I am clueless....Maybe if guys actually fabricated something instead of making a phone call and waiting for UPS to show up, cars would have some more ingenuity to them and the class would be more then 24 different wraps racing around in circles on a skating rink!

You are clueless with a capital C!

When matt Williamson stated they built shocks to survive the race he wasn’t talking about stronger shafts. He was willing to sacrifice traction for the ability to take the bumps. They valved shocks that you would normally never run in a 200 lap race anywhere….but that added rebound helped stabilize the car through the rough stuff and helped limit movement throughout the suspension. Shock companies don’t have a “rough track extra large shaft” if they did….the rod guides, seals, shims, pistons, heims and coil kits would all change as well. 

• Like 1