Don Norris Jr. was quick to set the pace at the drop of the green flag for the 30-lap NASCAR 358 Modified feature with Kyle Weiss close behind. With six laps in the record book Weiss went a little wide as he was challenged and gave second to hard charging Meme DeSantis. At the halfway mark it was a three car battle for the number one spot featuring Norris, DeSantis and now defending Modified champion Duane Howard. At 18 laps Howard, now second, was able to take the top spot by “rubbing” past Norris.
With 22 laps completed Doug Manmiller, who had been running in the top five for much of the race, hit the fourth turn wall hard. Manmiller climbed out of his car pointing his finger at Howard apparently blaming him for an earlier incident that had Manmiller bouncing off the wall going into Turn 3 and, perhaps, damaging his car and leading to the hard crash.
One lap later DeSantis got wide in Turn 2 while taking the top spot from Howard bouncing the defending champion off the wall. Howard was able to maintain control and charge after DeSantis.
The final laps had DeSantis, who calls Temple, PA home, holding on to the lead and holding off a strong late race challenge from Howard (Oley). Norris (Douglassville) was able to grab third followed by nine time track champion Jeff Strunk (Boyertown) making a late race charge. Ryan Grim (Laury’s Station) had a strong effort grabbing fifth in the final standings.
In victory lane DeSantis, coming off a difficult season that actually had rumors floating around during the off season that he would not be racing at Grandview this season, brought quite a reaction from the large fan turnout on a very cold night when he responded to a question from the victory lane announcer. DeSantis indicated that he did not feel bad about the contact with Howard that got him the lead.
The victory earned DeSantis $2750 for his winning efforts with the In-Home Oxygen/Dino’s Wings & Things sponsored #88D. $250 of the winner’s money coming from the TP Trailers of Limerick bonus bucks given to the feature winner provided TP decals are both sides of the car and clearly visible.
A multi-car accident in the first turn shortly after the green flag was displayed eliminated a couple of the top performers in the 25-lap Late Model feature. On the restart after the caution Mike Kellner went to the front and that is where he and his Power Washer/Mary Kay #57 stayed until the checkered flag was displayed.
With seven laps remaining Wayne Pfeil, who had challenged the leader for most of the race, made a run for the top spot but got sideways in Turn 2 losing a couple of spots.
At the finish Kellner (Lansdale) was able to hold off a fast closing Sean Merkel (Gilbertsville) to get the victory. Pfeil (Mohnton) was able to hold on for a third place finish followed by Jason Miller (New Tripoli) and Bill Henning (Lansdale).
Defending Late Model champion Chuck Schutz had to climb into a borrowed car (Buddy Mertz’ s #00) and start last in the feature race. He managed to come home with a 10th place finish.
Jared Umbenhauer (Richland) showed that he is serious about winning his second straight Sportsman title as he lead all but two of the laps in the driving the Eastern Rigging #5 to victory in the 25 lap Sportsman main event. The win was his second of the weekend having also earned a victory with the Sportsman at Big Diamond Speedway.
Brad Brightbill (Sinking Spring) challenged Umbenhauer for much of the race and even managed to lead for two laps but had to settle for second. Kevin Beach (Minersville) came home third followed by a hard charging Craig Whitmoyer (Hamburg) and Kyle Borror (Peach Bottom).
Both the Late Model and Sportsman feature winners earned $100 bonuses from TP Trailers of Limerick.
Qualifying heat races for the Late Models went to Mike Kellner and Bill Henning. In the Sportsman qualifying heats were earned by Jared Umbenhauer, Brad Brightbill and Kaitie McCardle. Heat races for the NASCAR 358 Modifieds were won by Kyle Weiss, Don Norris Jr., Meme DeSantis and Doug Manmiller. Consolation races for Modifieds were won by Craig VonDohren and Jon Kellner Sr. The Sportsman consolation went to Erik Renninger.
The Modified Hard Charger award sponsored by Bobby Gunther Walsh and his sponsors went to Kevin Hirthler charging from 27th to finish 11th. Searock Lawn Care’s Sportsman Hard Charger went to Joe Fanelli going from last starting spot to 12th in the final finish and the Jeff Teets’ Salvage Transport Late Model Hard Charger award went to Chuck Schutz going from 20th to 10th.
The Dan’s Deli Halfway Leader awards were earned by Don Norris Jr. in the Modifieds, Mike Kellner in the Late Models and Jared Umbenhauer in the Sportsman.
Cargo Trailer Sales had $50 gift certificates for 10th place finishers Frank Cozze in the Modified feature, Kirby Sites in the Sportsman main event and Chuck Schutz in the Late Model feature.
Coming up this Saturday, April 13th, 7 p.m. is double 35-lap features for the 358 Modifieds. Each feature will pay $3250 to the winner provided the winner has the TP Trailers decal clearly visible on both sides of the race car. No decal means the first place money will be $3000. The Sportsman and Late Models will also see action with a full slate of qualifying events topped off by 25-lap features. Each of those feature winners gets a $100 TP Trailers bonus if the decals are in place. Adult admission is $20 while kids 6 through 12 pay just $5 and under 6 are admitted free.
A full color brochure outlining the marketing opportunities available at Grandview Speedway, along with pricing, can be had by emailing Ernie Saxton atEsaxton144@aol.com or telephone 215.752.7797.
Information on racing at Grandview Speedway can be had by checking in at www.grandviewspeedway.com or telephone 610.754.7688. In addition the official Grandview Speedway Facebook page can be found at www.facebook.com/grandviewspeedwayinc or check in on Twitter at @gviewspeedway.
NASCAR WHELEN ALL AMERICAN SERIES 358 MODIFIED FEATURE – 30 LAPS: 1.Meme DeSantis 2. Duane Howard 3. Don Norris Jr. 4. Jeff Strunk 5. Ryan Grim 6. Craig VonDohren 7. Kyle Weiss 8. Jordan Umbenhauer 9. John Willman 10. Frank Cozze 11. Kevin Hirthler 12. Glenn Strunk 13. Mike Gular 14. Todd Smith 15. Addison Meitzler 16. Mike Laise 17. Ron Seltman 18. Tim Buckwalter 19. Jon Kellner Jr. 20. Dan Waisempacher 21. Brian Houseknecht 22. Nate Christman 23. Doug Manmiller 24.Shawn Reimert 25. Ray Swinehart 26. Andy Ressler 27. Terry Meitzler 28. Jon Kellner Sr.
AS OF APRIL 6, 2013
2. Duane Howard, Oley, PA #4 299
3. Don Norris, Douglassville, PA #976 290
4. Jeff Strunk, Bechtelsville, PA #4* 276
5. Ryan Grim, Laury’s Station, PA #17 268
6. Craig VonDohren, Boyertown, PA #1C 255
7. Kyle Weiss, Hamburg, PA #21K 250
8. Jordan Umbenhauer, Richland, PA #19 238
9. John Willman, Birdsboro, PA #74W 229
10. Frank Cozze, #357 216
11. Kevin Hirthler, Boyertown, PA #117 202
12. Glenn Strunk, Bechtelsville, PA #2 197
13. Mike Gular, Green Lane, PA #53 184
14. Todd Smith, Hatfield, PA #39 178
15. Addison Meitzler, Kutztown, PA #21 169
16. Mike Laise, Pottstown, PA #15 159
17. Ron Seltmann, Lower Pottsgrove, PA #R19 148
18. Tim Buckwalter, #91 137
19. Jon Kellner Jr., Lansdale, PA #67 123
20. Dan Waisempacher, #01 114
21. Brian Houseknecht, #323 107
22. Nate Christman, Oley, PA #37 96
23. Doug Manmiller, Shoemakersville, PA #46 90
24. Shawn Reimert, Oley, PA #58S 73
25. Ray Swinehart, Perkiomenville, PA #33R 67
26. Andy Ressler, Bechtelsville, PA #10 56
27. Terry Meitzler, Kutztown, PA #81 42
28. Jon Kellner Sr., Lansdale, PA #41 35
AS OF APRIL 6, 2013
2. Sean Merkel, Gilbertsville, PA #118 297
3. Wayne Pfeil Jr., Mohnton, PA #72 289
4. Jason Miller, New Tripoli PA #44 275
5. Bill Henning, Lansdale, PA #80 270
6. Doug Walton, Spring City, PA #02 258
7. Lou Egrie, Sr. Willow Grove, PA #X4 248
8. Kory Fleming, Milford, NJ, #704 236
9. Dan Green, #46 220
10. Chuck Schutz, Pottstown, PA #00 210
11. John Giesler, Aston, PA #ZT1 204
12. Dirk Rimrott, Phoenixville, PA #92 190
13. Kyle Merkel, #117 180
14. Steve Butler, Quakertown, PA , #91 173
15. Lee Miller, New Tripoli, PA #56 163
16. Rick Todorow, Quakertown, PA #93 154
17. Danny Snyder, Green Lane, PA #4S 149
18. Steve Todorow Quakertown, PA #83 137
19. Steve Nederostek, Walnutport, PA #769 126
20. Drew Weisser, Reading, PA #19 115
NASCAR point events.)
AS OF APRIL 6, 2013
2. Brad Brightbill, Sinking Springs, PA #19 300
3. Kevin Beach, Minersville, PA #17X 289
4. Craig Whitmoyer, Hamburg, PA #99 277
5. Kyle Borror, Peach Bottom, PA #B4 267
6. Kenny Gilmore, Fleetwood, PA #7 258
7. Paul Kline, Muhlenberg, PA #14 246
8. John Kovatch IV, Nesquehoning, PA #IV 236
9. Kaitie McCardle, Honeybrook, PA #11 230
10. Kirby Sites #21K 217
11. Dean Bachman, #65 206
12. Joe Fanelli #22 192
13. Brian Hirthler, Green Lane, PA #4* 189
14. Brandon Whitmoyer, # 99X 174
15. Mike Lisowski, Minersville, PA #15 165
16. Steve Young, Collegeville, PA #187 159
17. Jamie Undercoffler #1J 143
18. Eric Renninger, Bridgewater, NJ #51 135
19. Scott Davis Jr. #67 125
20. Chuck Miller #53M 112
NASCAR point events.)