On 9/23/2018 at 9:08 AM, BobMiller said:

Some of them are even thankful for that. I am not only a member of that club, I am president.

Late models are awesome. Watching them come into the corner and carry so much speed is impressive. I like all of the engineering behind them too. They're is so much more you can do to one than a modified. 

Like with sportsman we can't even run spring rubbers. What's the purpose of making a rule against spring rubbers?  Some of the rules we have seem like they are making rules just to stop change instead of  keeping costs down or increasing saftey. 

2 hours ago, Devin Willis said:

Like with sportsman we can't even run spring rubbers. What's the purpose of making a rule against spring rubbers?  Some of the rules we have seem like they are making rules just to stop change instead of  keeping costs down or increasing saftey. 

***In DIRTcar sportsman, spring rubbers are ok, bump stops are not.

On 9/22/2018 at 8:24 AM, maxim410 said:

well the truth is the BB mods in the east are just to ugly to catch on, that's why they call them dumpster mods,. to much tin boxey. I am not a fan of late mods but at least they look closer to a car on the track the BB mods and SB for that matter . BB &SB mods look like they belong behind mickey deees waiting for a front end loader to empty them loose some sheet metal please

On 9/22/2018 at 4:27 PM, John Williams said:

Wow. I'm glad someone finally told us the truth about NE mods. Can you now tell us why UMP and IMCA are nationwide? Is it because they look so much better? Is it those cute little wheels and wide nose? Why are sprint cars so sexy? Is it those big beautiful wings? Please give us the answers!

On 9/23/2018 at 8:36 AM, BobMiller said:

Seems like any time someone disagrees with you, you revert to name calling as your defense.

I hope you like Humble Pie because you just earned a slice of "30 days in the hole."

John beat me to the response but exactly what I was thinking.

The sprints do not resemble anything on the street but people still love them and definitely put on an exciting show.

I can definitely see the resemblance of a Monte Carlo with the Ark-La-Tex mods. Lol.

I was really hoping to hear maxim's reasoning but I guess I'll have to wait a month or so.

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, inthecuse said:

I was really hoping to hear maxim's reasoning but I guess I'll have to wait a month or so.

Just 30 days. Some people need to learn the hard way.

On 9/21/2018 at 1:37 PM, TheKraken said:

Please correct me if im wrong but Canada, NY, PA, VT, DE, MD and OH are the only places that run them weekly. With 3 of them states only have 1 track.

New Jersey.

Let this be a lesson to you. Never say "correct me if I'm wrong" on a dirt racing site.  Even if you're right, one of us will tell you that you're not.

• Haha 1
On 9/22/2018 at 6:34 PM, yearmo said:

If you ask me, NE mods look a hell of a lot better than any imca or ump mods. Plus they put on just as good a show as sprints and latemodels. Watching imca continually spinning out constantly is not great racin to me. 

Because you probably have only seen imca mods on the skating rinks of New York. Tracks around the country are not groomed to be ice rinks. They are groomed to retain moisture and have a berm. Thus providing for better racing on the hard compound imca tires. 

On 9/21/2018 at 9:36 PM, dundeedm said:

I can't believe anyone is talking about expansion when cars counts are down all across the NE.

It raised some questions with me so i thought i would post. Maybe the lack of expansion is hurting car counts? And if you read my post thoroughly, i did ask about the history of expansion attempts and peoples thoughts on why it has not expanded. i lastly lead into any thoughts on how to expand. 

I had mentioned imca mods in a different post and the the lame @$$ response is always thrown about, well IMCA mods are national and NE mods are regional. WELL then why are they regional? Why havent they grown? I would bet late models, imca style mods and sprint cars all started in one region or another and grew. Thus far, no really good answers or history on expansion attempts have been presented. 

3 hours ago, TheKraken said:

It raised some questions with me so i thought i would post. Maybe the lack of expansion is hurting car counts? And if you read my post thoroughly, i did ask about the history of expansion attempts and peoples thoughts on why it has not expanded. i lastly lead into any thoughts on how to expand. 

I had mentioned imca mods in a different post and the the lame @$$ response is always thrown about, well IMCA mods are national and NE mods are regional. WELL then why are they regional? Why havent they grown? I would bet late models, imca style mods and sprint cars all started in one region or another and grew. Thus far, no really good answers or history on expansion attempts have been presented. 

They expanded a long time ago. To expand now you're either asking guys to switch from an class they already have a car in and parts and knowledge to a class that might flop in their area. Or you're asking 20 people who don't race join a class that costs 40k to get a car plus the expenses of racing weekly. It's not a thing that people are going to do these days.

3 hours ago, TheKraken said:

Once upon a time, way back when, just after the jalopy era, pretty much everyone did run the same sort of modifieds. Where it branched off into the different versions, I’m not sure.  

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:54 AM, rpm72x said:

I’ve been to races featuring the Best 410 sprints...360 sprints...305 sprints....super late models...crate late models...ump mods...etc... more often than not imo our northeast mods put on the best show...it’s all about what you start with years ago...the northeast went in the direction we are and most of the country went in another... I’m sure some people wonder why late models and IMCA/ump mods do not take off in the northeast 

Well, nobody knew at the time, but it's really too bad we ended up with the dune buggies and the entire rest of the country and Canada race late models and modifieds. Mexico too, although we never hear about it. 

1 hour ago, Joshua Jello Loughnot said:

Where was the birth of the modified? Weedsport? 

Modifieds started primarily on midget tracks in heavily populated areas of the east coast. Just after WWII. The original NASCAR division was modified.

16 minutes ago, oilman said:

Modifieds started primarily on midget tracks in heavily populated areas of the east coast. Just after WWII. The original NASCAR division was modified.

Ok... but what about the modifieds we see today? The Syracuse Mile or Orange County? Where and when was the transformation into today's modified? 

5 minutes ago, Joshua Jello Loughnot said:

Ok... but what about the modifieds we see today? The Syracuse Mile or Orange County? Where and when was the transformation into today's modified? 

Well, these were modifieds, starting out racing at Orange County in the late 40's and Syracuse at least the early 50's...……….I guess I don't get what you are after.

By the early 70's there were all sorts of center steer modified coupes racing around the country. Then, late models took over, except in the New York / New Jersey region. In the 80's, a racing paper owner in the midwest revived the defunct IMCA and introduced  a new low cost modified class as an alternative to the expensive late models featuring stock frame cars with 8" tires and a $300 engine claimer. This would end up being the biggest thing to ever happen to the racing industry. 

1 hour ago, Joshua Jello Loughnot said:

Where was the birth of the modified? Weedsport? 

I’m not sure where the first ones were, but they ran em everywhere. Then some places went late model centric and others went supermodifed, then sprint centric, and still others went to the open wheel IMCA mods. 

There were modifieds out around St. Louis I’m the  early to mid 80’s that were wild. They were effectively late models with stock bodies with open wheels up front and a modified nose. They ended up slowly dying out and then they went with the IMCA model. 

They ran a similar version up in Michigan in the 80s, and there were guys running northeastern style mods along with em. They ended up going to the UMP version of mod. 

34 minutes ago, oilman said:

Well, these were modifieds, starting out racing at Orange County in the late 40's and Syracuse at least the early 50's...……….I guess I don't get what you are after.

By the early 70's there were all sorts of center steer modified coupes racing around the country. Then, late models took over, except in the New York / New Jersey region. In the 80's, a racing paper owner in the midwest revived the defunct IMCA and introduced  a new low cost modified class as an alternative to the expensive late models featuring stock frame cars with 8" tires and a $300 engine claimer. This would end up being the biggest thing to ever happen to the racing industry. 

That kinda answers my question.. Orange County and Syracuse were two of the oldest tracks around. Would make since they showed case our modifiers of today...

I'll keep this as brief as possible...

Prior to WWII, it was jalopy racing and midget racing that headlined most tracks in NY. But jalopy racing was outlawed in Erie and Genesee Counties just before the war and midgets were king. This also helped set the tone for when the war was over because other counties followed suit.

When the auto racing ban was lifted at the end of 1945, a "stock" class was introduced that amounted to little more than knocking off fenders and and chaining doors shut. Some tracks resumed with midgets, especially in the western part of the state.

The term "Modified" meant that guys with regular stock "Sportsman" cars were allowed to soup up their engines through big carburetors and in some cases fuel injection.

"Modified" racing was born in the Carolinas and was adapted in NY in 1948 under SCoA (Speed Corporation of America) sanction headed up by Bill France with Jack Kochman (stunt show guy) as SCoA promoter. The first scheduled SCoA sanctioned event was scheduled for Fonda Speedway on 5/15/48 but was rained out. On May 22nd, 1948 Palmyra Speedway located at the Wayne County Fairgrounds hosted the first ever "Modified" race in NY State. Fonda was scheduled to host the following week but was rained out again. Palmyra ran a week later and hosted the 2nd ever event.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/22/2018 at 6:34 PM, yearmo said:

If you ask me, NE mods look a hell of a lot better than any imca or ump mods. Plus they put on just as good a show as sprints and latemodels. Watching imca continually spinning out constantly is not great racin to me. 

I have watched some good races from the IMCA body style modifieds. Be it IMCA ,UMP, AMRA, USMTS, whatever.   Not familiar with the differences there. But I agree that the body styles of those cars are ugly as heck.  

I actually like the look of the north east style dirt modifieds. With or without panels, they look a helluva lot better than the imca style

UMP Modifieds run VERY well. In fact, when i was going to Florida every year, I looked forward to that class almost as mush as I did the Sprints because the racing was so good. UMP rules call for a Hoosier racing tire instead of the hockey pucks that IMCA use, and they make all the difference in the world in the quality of the show.

WISSOTA Mods at first glance are starting to look similar NE Mods.

6f52af0933744f97666d4eb1978e8559.jpg
7ea3ae4c3c779e829fa33aff3f9c1d38.jpg

30 minutes ago, BobMiller said:

UMP Modifieds run VERY well. In fact, when i was going to Florida every year, I looked forward to that class almost as mush as I did the Sprints because the racing was so good. UMP rules call for a Hoosier racing tire instead of the hockey pucks that IMCA use, and they make all the difference in the world in the quality of the show.

WISSOTA Mods at first glance are starting to look similar NE Mods.

6f52af0933744f97666d4eb1978e8559.jpg
7ea3ae4c3c779e829fa33aff3f9c1d38.jpg

So are USMTS mods, especially the ones who run the open sail panels similar to late models. 

DA4B7136-9A5B-46EE-8FE5-7A6373D4FB7C.jpeg