As a fan, Ive seen first hand some horrific wrecks over the years. Ive only seen 1 car have a fire involving the cockpit area of the car and driver slightly burned. Track fire crews properly trained and on the spot when a incident happens goes a long way to preventing fire danger for drivers. Cars are still made of steel, body's mostly sheet metal, tires are rubber and fuel is still fuel. What has changed that a added cost to any driver/team now has to be mandated??? Insurance company's can be handled by the collective masses if they are pushing the issue, but a sanctioning body should be looking for ways to decrease a driver/teams cost instead of raising it. In case they hadn't noticed, the tracks don't have the crowds in the stands or cars at the track they used to be there 25 yrs ago, none of that is because of lack of safety issues!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you cannot afford 800.00 to help protect yourself you shouldn’t be racing....I’m going to guess if 800.00 bucks ends your racing career there are a bunch of other areas in life that could use the m

In today’s day of racing safety is s top priority!! But with it comes a price. And the other issue comes is comparing the same standards of system. I will be offering a system that has been proven to

If that makes me righteous so be it....it’s the truth....it’s one thing to not be able to field a winning car but if you can’t buy safety gear then get out...

13 minutes ago, J. Downing said:

As a fan, Ive seen first hand some horrific wrecks over the years. Ive only seen 1 car have a fire involving the cockpit area of the car and driver slightly burned. Track fire crews properly trained and on the spot when a incident happens goes a long way to preventing fire danger for drivers. Cars are still made of steel, body's mostly sheet metal, tires are rubber and fuel is still fuel. What has changed that a added cost to any driver/team now has to be mandated??? Insurance company's can be handled by the collective masses if they are pushing the issue, but a sanctioning body should be looking for ways to decrease a driver/teams cost instead of raising it. In case they hadn't noticed, the tracks don't have the crowds in the stands or cars at the track they used to be there 25 yrs ago, none of that is because of lack of safety issues!!!

You are correct.....somebody is getting a kickback, you can bet your ass on that!

• Like 1

I think the only thing dirt is getting will be peace of mind that they are moving forward with making the rules to promote a safe drivers environment. There is no way of preventing everything that’s going to happen in racing but this is a move that is positive. The systems weigh between 15-19 lbs. I’m going to do a deal we’re im going to put peoples names that buy systems in for a drawing for a gift certificates to try a help at least a few racers save money. I’ll have the details out next week. 

3 hours ago, J. Downing said:

there has been more discussion about weight breaks than the cost of the fire system. No one will quit racing due to this. Driver safety should be #1 concern. 

Remember the days of the cost of a 1 way radio and the talk of that. Oh my. Let’s not go back to the days of stopping the field and pointing out cars to come forward.

Safety precautions is one area that most racers don’t go nuts about....fire is a scary part of racing...uncommon but it happens...im sure the tracks will get an insurance break for mandating them at some point...but safety is extremely important...full containment seats, head and neck restraints, and fire systems are not rediculous rules...there are a bunch of other areas that drivers could complain about but safety shouldn’t be one of them...if your driving a racecar or own one and 800 bucks for a safety item breaks you...you shouldn’t be racing to begin with

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Eagleonemotorsports said:

I think the only thing dirt is getting will be peace of mind that they are moving forward with making the rules to promote a safe drivers environment. There is no way of preventing everything that’s going to happen in racing but this is a move that is positive. The systems weigh between 15-19 lbs. I’m going to do a deal we’re im going to put peoples names that buy systems in for a drawing for a gift certificates to try a help at least a few racers save money. I’ll have the details out next week. 

Do you advertise with DTD?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, racer80 said:

You are correct.....somebody is getting a kickback, you can bet your ass on that!

Since you just like to throw stuff like this out there...then who?  It's already been mentioned that no company has been mandated to supply the equipment.   I get tired of everything being a conspiracy against the racers in some peoples minds.

Goggles ,

no I don’t advertise with DTD. May in the future . Mike has I would say one of the best sites for racing. No he didn’t pay me to say that:) For people intrested in dirt modifieds it’s probably the most informative. Why can you get me a deal on advertising? :))

i just hate it when guys make fun of others on here or stir the pot to start troubles. But this site makes 4m look like bad. 

Racer80, 

only ones getting a kick back is the families knowing that in case of a fire thier loved one that are out there racing having a better chance now of not being injured!!! 

As with anything - accidents are just that - not expected but occasionally happen. So I was looking for some info on what the costs might be for treating severe burns and  found this.

"According to the National Business Group on Health, fires and burns in the year 2000 caused $6.2 billion in productivity losses. In 2010 dollars adjusted for inflation, that’s $8.6 billion. Those productivity losses are highest among men 24-44 years of age and women 45-64 years of age. Hospitalizations for burns represent only 1 percent of all injuries in the U.S., but treatments cost more than $10.4 billion per year, according to the same source. Complications associated with burn injuries can arise despite early burn management, and when they do treatment costs grow exponentially. Even low-intensity treatment for moderate burns may cost $206,853 or more, if there are complications. For severe burns treated without complications, the average cost tops the million dollar mark at $1,617,345. With complications, a severe burn can cost more than $10 million to treat successfully. "

I know we haven't had a major injury due to fire in recent years, but my God we have been close. Johnny Scarborough's accident at Fonda and the horrific fire at Grandview last year come to mind. If the driver had been injured at Grandview and couldn't get out of the car, that would have been a tragedy -- they were totally unprepared to fight that fire. I'm also thinking of the mini stock driver who was burned so badly at Paradise two years ago -- it only takes a second to have a terrible situation. 

I hate increased costs, but $1000 on a fire suppression system is a lot cheaper than a burn unit.

8 hours ago, Eagleonemotorsports said:

Goggles ,

no I don’t advertise with DTD. May in the future . Mike has I would say one of the best sites for racing. No he didn’t pay me to say that:) For people intrested in dirt modifieds it’s probably the most informative. Why can you get me a deal on advertising? :))

i just hate it when guys make fun of others on here or stir the pot to start troubles. But this site makes 4m look like bad. 

Racer80, 

only ones getting a kick back is the families knowing that in case of a fire thier loved one that are out there racing having a better chance now of not being injured!!! 

Advertising?   No.  I can't.  Squirrel trapping takes up all my time.  :))

21 hours ago, rpm72x said:

Safety precautions is one area that most racers don’t go nuts about....fire is a scary part of racing...uncommon but it happens...im sure the tracks will get an insurance break for mandating them at some point...but safety is extremely important...full containment seats, head and neck restraints, and fire systems are not rediculous rules...there are a bunch of other areas that drivers could complain about but safety shouldn’t be one of them...if your driving a racecar or own one and 800 bucks for a safety item breaks you...you shouldn’t be racing to begin with

If say a 602 guy doesn't have another 800 bucks to pony up , he shouldn't be racing ?
Please elaborate.
Why is that?

3 minutes ago, Danny said:

If say a 602 guy doesn't have another 800 bucks to pony up , he shouldn't be racing ?
Please elaborate.
Why is that?

It’s a forcing function to help ensure the safety of the driver. If $800 is a deal breaker than you were in over your head anyway. A little twist on opening night and your season would be over if $800 was make or break. 

Again, here’s to hoping you never have to use it but in the event of a fire emergency it’s nice to know that this is on board. Every year I buy travel insurance to help protect us when we go to the U.S. I have insurance with my credit card but I want the extra coverage just in case. Luckily we have never used it but it’s there as a safety blanket. But, as it ties back to your comment, if I couldn’t afford the insurance than I would need to find savings somewhere else because I won’t travel without it. And if something changes in my life fincially than I’d rather not travel to the U.S. than travel without insurance 

38 minutes ago, JohnyC said:

It’s a forcing function to help ensure the safety of the driver. If $800 is a deal breaker than you were in over your head anyway. A little twist on opening night and your season would be over if $800 was make or break. 

Again, here’s to hoping you never have to use it but in the event of a fire emergency it’s nice to know that this is on board. Every year I buy travel insurance to help protect us when we go to the U.S. I have insurance with my credit card but I want the extra coverage just in case. Luckily we have never used it but it’s there as a safety blanket. But, as it ties back to your comment, if I couldn’t afford the insurance than I would need to find savings somewhere else because I won’t travel without it. And if something changes in my life fincially than I’d rather not travel to the U.S. than travel without insurance 

Ummmmmm, credit cards , insurance. ? 
We're talking about sportsman guys who spend their weekly pence to haul to the track.
We're questioning why they can't / shouldn't race because they're pockets are not loaded with money.
For you, the other guy or anyone else to come on here with your self righteous judgement of who can, or should race, is appalling and disrespectful.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Danny said:

We're talking about sportsman guys who spend their weekly pence to haul to the track.
We're questioning why they can't / shouldn't race because they're pockets are not loaded with money.
For you, the other guy or anyone else to come on here with your self righteous judgement of who can, or should race, is appalling and disrespectful.

I think someone hasn't seen the amount of money in sportsman has grown to....

5 hours ago, Danny said:

Please elaborate.
Why is that?

If you cannot afford 800.00 to help protect yourself you shouldn’t be racing....I’m going to guess if 800.00 bucks ends your racing career there are a bunch of other areas in life that could use the money you spent on racing to begin with....racing is expensive and you need a bunch of money to do it even partially right....this isn’t pop Warner football where everyone gets to play...Unfortunately if you can’t spend the money to do it then you can’t do it...800 dollars in the racing world is 5 bucks anywhere else....truthfully racing in general has a lot of guys with cars that are not competitive, safety gear that isn’t up to standard, and vehicles towing the cars that shouldn’t be on the road. Being forced out of racing would be for their own good.

• Like 4

Danny, 

i don’t think anyone wants to see anybody get out of racing:( when some guys say if a guy can’t afford $800 it’s not meant to be mean but $800 is a small wreck a 2/3 the cost of hitting the wall and getting a flat tire and ruining a rim:( racing isn’t cheap. I’d say do a fund raiser to raise the extra money . I’m going to have a deal where I draw for a pretty big gift certificate for guys buying sustems thru me and I also have a plan in motion to get them recertification in 2 years at a savings!!

ive got some pics I’m taking and I will have the info that will let you know what’s best for your budget. 

David

4 hours ago, Eagleonemotorsports said:

Danny, 

i don’t think anyone wants to see anybody get out of racing:( when some guys say if a guy can’t afford $800 it’s not meant to be mean but $800 is a small wreck a 2/3 the cost of hitting the wall and getting a flat tire and ruining a rim:( racing isn’t cheap. I’d say do a fund raiser to raise the extra money . I’m going to have a deal where I draw for a pretty big gift certificate for guys buying sustems thru me and I also have a plan in motion to get them recertification in 2 years at a savings!!

ive got some pics I’m taking and I will have the info that will let you know what’s best for your budget. 

David

I agree....I wasn’t attempting to be mean...but the truth hurts...and in many cases the guy complaining about a fire system or head and neck restraint or a full containment seat being too expensive to afford, should not be in a racecar to begin with. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Danny said:

Hahaha, ok.....

Like I said $800 is a twist on opening night. If you aren’t prepared for that you shouldn’t be racing in that division. You should budget appropriately. If you are just scratching coin together to get to the track on opening night and have no money in reserve for any other of the many things that will go wrong than I’m doing you a favour by telling you to sell now. And assuming you are lucky and nothing goes wrong you still need those parts and things that go through attrition including gas. So spare me with the high horse bull####. You might not like what I’m saying and that’s fine but I hope it gives you pause to consider your situation because it might need reevaluating 

• Like 1

I ran a sportsman 9 years ago and had these systems been mandatory i gladly would have put one in my car.  John Scarborough's crash was mentioned in an earlier reply.  Not sure if all the posters have seen that video but it motivated me to spend as much as i could to ensure i was protected.  Most guys have to go to work on Monday but it astounded me how many drivers were still racing without gloves, torn firesuits, and least of all HANS devices.  I still see this happening and it amazes me how many young drivers i see doing this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hWN7qHZ33co

I’m also wondering if tracks will actually look to see if they’re properly installed, as I know tracks where turning blind eyes to some cars still not having full containment seats and/or neck restraints. 

1 hour ago, Adam Leslie said:

I’m also wondering if tracks will actually look to see if they’re properly installed, as I know tracks where turning blind eyes to some cars still not having full containment seats and/or neck restraints. 

I went to Bear Ridge once last year when it was "Topless Night".  A couple of the Late Model guys legitimately had part of their helmets sticking up above the roll cage.(a hazard you would notice if the roof was on the car to cover it up)