Jump to content




Recommended Posts

Looks like Sheppard picked up $67K last night after winning the STSS south title and with sweeping both the north and south titles he picked up another $57K.

He may not have won the big money races this year but he’s cleaning up in the points titles and could get some more next weekend with the SDS title 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, con7 said:

How much would you say the top mod drivers have made this year? 

Sheppard with the big point money and Williamson with the big race money. 

Don't know about Williamson. Of the 79 races Sheppard has run, the payout (or winner's share when he won) was listed for 74 of them. Those 74, plus SSTS titles, Bonuses, American Racer Cup, and the LOL championship (assuming it is the same as last year) he is over $327,000. So he is probably close to 330K with 2 races to go, plus the SDS point fund and the Outlaw speedway Championship.

Remember, that is what he won. That is not what he made.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We can only track the winnings, no one knows how much any team  actually makes.

330k for a local racer is extraordinary though. Only 5 or so sprint car drivers are at that level and all are WoO drivers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the fact that Deyo can come up with the sponsors to offer that kind of bonus fund. It's also nice to see a driver, owner, and team have a shot at actually winning it. Congrats to Matt Shepperd, his family, and his whole team. Also good to see some owners and teams getting out and going after the money the STSS puts up for a couple regions with a lot less races and travelling than the SDS. It's tough for the family owned, low to medium funded teams to be able to travel and follow these series and remain  competitive at their weekly tracks. As a fan, I appreciate them all.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, con7 said:

We can only track the winnings, no one knows how much any team  actually makes.

330k for a local racer is extraordinary though. Only 5 or so sprint car drivers are at that level and all are WoO drivers. 

Pretty easy to calculate the money won. Money spent is a little harder but could be ballparked (excluding one’s time of course). What I have never been able to pin down is the amount sponsors kick in. For example, did a guy like Sheppard who’s running his own deal (for the most part anyway) receive $100,000 to $150,000 in sponsorship money this year? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, By The Book said:

Don't know about Williamson. Of the 79 races Sheppard has run, the payout (or winner's share when he won) was listed for 74 of them. Those 74, plus SSTS titles, Bonuses, American Racer Cup, and the LOL championship (assuming it is the same as last year) he is over $327,000. So he is probably close to 330K with 2 races to go, plus the SDS point fund and the Outlaw speedway Championship.

Remember, that is what he won. That is not what he made.

Williamson and Sheppard both have a chance to finish in the $350,000 to $400,000 ballpark. That’s absolutely incredible money for this level of racing. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BobMiller said:

The simple and most correct answer is - "Way Too Much!"  Income Tax should be illegal.

Agreed! A sales tax should be used instead so that EVERYONE pays his fair share & EVERYTHING should be taxed......way too many tax credits for those who make the most & NO, I am not a Democrat......LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BobMiller said:

The simple and most correct answer is - "Way Too Much!"  Income Tax should be illegal.

Good bye transit, hospitals, police, firefighters, military, infrastructure......

Yeah, I hate paying too (and trust me I pay a LOT more where I live) but unless we can convince the super rich to step up and pay for these services than I don’t see an alternative. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, By The Book said:

Remember, that is what he won. That is not what he made.

Could you elaborate a bit more? 

I'm guessing you're referring to a number of things such as the expenses that it took to make the winnings or the 330g is the gross amount before taxes. 

Is he the owner-driver of the stss cars this year?  In years past I thought he was just the driver for stss. That would be less money in his pocket again. 

All things aside,  the numbers are very impressive regardless. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll ask this here since it goes along with driver winnings.  I was listening to spaz's podcast (awhile back - maybe summer time?) and he stated that driver winnings aren't actually what the driver actually gets.   That statement confused me.  I always thought that if first place pays 2G for weekly race let's say, that's the amount of the check that you will be getting from the track. 

Maybe you can answer this or chime in spaz? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, inthecuse said:

I'll ask this here since it goes along with driver winnings.  I was listening to spaz's podcast (awhile back - maybe summer time?) and he stated that driver winnings aren't actually what the driver actually gets.   That statement confused me.  I always thought that if first place pays 2G for weekly race let's say, that's the amount of the check that you will be getting from the track. 

Maybe you can answer this or chime in spaz? 

 

I would guess maybe he was saying if the driver was the car owner or if he was driving for someone. If he was driving for someone he would get a percentage of the winnings.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JohnyC said:

Good bye transit, hospitals, police, firefighters, military, infrastructure......

Yeah, I hate paying too (and trust me I pay a LOT more where I live) but unless we can convince the super rich to step up and pay for these services than I don’t see an alternative. 

How do states that are in far nicer conditions do it? With less population and no state income tax? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RJO said:

I would guess maybe he was saying if the driver was the car owner or if he was driving for someone. If he was driving for someone he would get a percentage of the winnings.

Yea, I probably thought too much into it but had thoughts that the fake check could say 2G for example and then the real take home amount is $1,500 with $500 in contingencies/other awards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, inthecuse said:

Could you elaborate a bit more? 

I'm guessing you're referring to a number of things such as the expenses that it took to make the winnings or the 330g is the gross amount before taxes. 

Is he the owner-driver of the stss cars this year?  In years past I thought he was just the driver for stss. That would be less money in his pocket again. 

All things aside,  the numbers are very impressive regardless. 

I think he's referring to all the races he entered and didn't win - whatever the purses paid from 2nd to last.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rpm72x said:

How do states that are in far nicer conditions do it? With less population and no state income tax? 

Many forms of taxes. I live in Ottawa, ON and my property taxes are over $7,000 a year. That’s just one example. In Ontario we have a carbon tax. We have toll highways..... many different models to provide funding. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JohnyC said:

Many forms of taxes. I live in Ottawa, ON and my property taxes are over $7,000 a year. That’s just one example. In Ontario we have a carbon tax. We have toll highways..... many different models to provide funding. 

I agree...it’s just NY is high on every tax across the board, most of the US laughs at what we pay and think we are crazy(except California which is where we get all of our brilliant ideas). There are 7, soon to be 9 states that have no income tax, and for the most part all of them are cheaper to live in than here in NY. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

I agree...it’s just NY is high on every tax across the board, most of the US laughs at what we pay and think we are crazy(except California which is where we get all of our brilliant ideas). There are 7, soon to be 9 states that have no income tax, and for the most part all of them are cheaper to live in than here in NY. 

NY is really high. It’s very comparable to Ontario and in some cases higher at lower household incomes. But when you make $$$ in Ontario you pay a huge price. Talk about nuts, put our 9 year old in Cubs (scouts) and it was nearly $500 for the year and that doesn’t include any of the extras plus he has to chip in money each week and fundraise 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JohnyC said:

NY is really high. It’s very comparable to Ontario and in some cases higher at lower household incomes. But when you make $$$ in Ontario you pay a huge price. Talk about nuts, put our 9 year old in Cubs (scouts) and it was nearly $500 for the year and that doesn’t include any of the extras plus he has to chip in money each week and fundraise 

Yea everything is expensive if you work hard and make a decent living, we are very lucky to have family close by that has always helped with baby sitting and such, I have a buddy that spends 500 a week on daycare, his wife brings home that amount, but they need the insurance her job provides....here in NY it’s a penalty to make decent money, and damn near against the law to run your own successful small business. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.
















×
×
  • Create New...