• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's like saying Dick Trickle sucked because he had no NASCAR wins.

I’d say he’s proven time and time again he can drive on pavement: His first 2 career starts at New Smyrna were wins. Both in a Super Late Model. He’s also won there in a Midget, for a total of 3

You can’t be that delusional?

39 minutes ago, Racerfan2003 said:

Not to deter the conversation here but I just want to see pictures of Friesens late model, that is if there is any! Thanks 

I don’t believe they exist yet. 

1 hour ago, Josh Bayko said:

I don’t believe they exist yet. 

Josh what number will he run? He has a different number for each car he runs

Mod 44 

Truck 52

Sprint 1z 

Late Model?????

Not sure if anyone mentioned it but Stew ran a Crate Late Model at Ohsweken a couple of years ago don’t remember how he did as he ran the 360 race and BB race as well that night.

1 minute ago, Racerfan2003 said:

Mod 44 

Truck 52

Sprint 1z 

Late Model?????

Not sure if anyone mentioned it but Stew ran a Crate Late Model at Ohsweken a couple of years ago don’t remember how he did as he ran the 360 race and BB race as well that night.

#44 for the LM.

1 hour ago, Racerfan2003 said:

Mod 44 

Truck 52

Sprint 1z 

Late Model?????

I’d imagine it’ll be a 44 and have a wrap that’s really similar to his modified on it, but I don’t actually know. 

On 12/31/2020 at 9:30 PM, scottnorwood said:

OK; yea I guess I was looking at 2021 50k to win and bigger. I didn't think down to the 20-40k to win.

Next year is an outlier with 2 Kings Royals.

Knoxville - 150,000

Kings Royal - 175,000

Kings Royal - 175,000

National Open - 75,000

Nittany Showdown - 54,000

Knoxville is a potential for 200k to win if you lead all the laps.

I don’t buy that there’s more money in late models but you probably can make more running slightly less races with less travel and be more safe doing it. So It makes some sense. 

If your talking about just how much money stew could make from solely driving a racecar.....it would be hard for him to make more driving anything other than the modified. Yes the purses don’t compare but neither will his results. If he solely focused on the mod deal, ran 3 nights weekly and every special he could, probably 100-120 starts a year weather dependent, he probably wins 50% of those, multiple track and series titles and a bunch of those wins would be larger purses. Far less travel as well. He will not do that in any other type of racecar, and this is why Sheppard doesn’t care to venture away from it. If your going to mix in popularity and marketing money, well of course you spread your wings, but actual purse money.....mods would be his bread and butter. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, rpm72x said:

If your talking about just how much money stew could make from solely driving a racecar.....it would be hard for him to make more driving anything other than the modified. Yes the purses don’t compare but neither will his results. If he solely focused on the mod deal, ran 3 nights weekly and every special he could, probably 100-120 starts a year weather dependent, he probably wins 50% of those, multiple track and series titles and a bunch of those wins would be larger purses. Far less travel as well. He will not do that in any other type of racecar, and this is why Sheppard doesn’t care to venture away from it. If your going to mix in popularity and marketing money, well of course you spread your wings, but actual purse money.....mods would be his bread and butter. 

Doubt he wins 50% but I would say in a good year he bags 40% of his starts.

3 hours ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

Doubt he wins 50% but I would say in a good year he bags 40% of his starts.

Either way, a full season solely focused on modifieds would result in around 50 (+ or - a few) wins.....many of which would be bigger purses. That isn’t happening In any other type of racecar. When you tack on the point money, he would be hard pressed to make more racing anything else. That has nothing to do with talent. I think in raw, god given ability he ranks at or right near the top of any field he would be a part of in the country. But, here, he has to deal with 2-12 professional race teams/drivers on any given night. They are big fish in a small pond.....out on the road they are all big fish and most all are professionals. That makes it way tougher for even the most talented of drivers.

15 hours ago, con7 said:

Knoxville is a potential for 200k to win if you lead all the laps.

I don’t buy that there’s more money in late models but you probably can make more running slightly less races with less travel and be more safe doing it. So It makes some sense. 

I think Josh is correct if you are looking at the number of race that pay more than 10k for late models. There are so many tracks that run late models and a ton of shows that are 12,15,20,25,30k to win. If you just followed the money the potential would be big. Thats how BShep can win that much (follows a tour and then hits big money shows when tour is off). The only thing is that shows over 50k I think Sprint Cars have more. So if you are only going to hit stuff that is 50k and up...you have more potential there. Either way good luck. Stew is a great shoe....so are dozens of guys in sprint cars and late models.

• Like 1

How many dirt modified races got cancelled in the northeast last year?  Extra money specials in particular. How many NY/Canada tracks ran a partial season?   How many northeast tracks did not even open up in 2020?

Stews modified schedule was already limited with the truck deal going on.

The late models race the majority of shows at tracks that are not in NY or Canada.  More options 

This late model deal just gives Stew more opportunities to race.  The Florida thing. He is already planning the modified anyhow.   Makes sense to try more races.  Nothing to lose in my opinion

Maybe I am  wrong.  But I do not think Stew pays the bills for the team(s) he is currently racing for?

2 hours ago, scottnorwood said:

I think Josh is correct if you are looking at the number of race that pay more than 10k for late models. There are so many tracks that run late models and a ton of shows that are 12,15,20,25,30k to win. If you just followed the money the potential would be big. Thats how BShep can win that much (follows a tour and then hits big money shows when tour is off). The only thing is that shows over 50k I think Sprint Cars have more. So if you are only going to hit stuff that is 50k and up...you have more potential there. Either way good luck. Stew is a great shoe....so are dozens of guys in sprint cars and late models.

Yea if there’s any difference, it’s that there’s 2 tours that pay a minimum of $10k to win as opposed to only the WoO for sprints. Having said that; the WoO sprints race about 80 races a year compared to 50 or so for the lm leagues which balances it out a bit.

You also have Central PA where you can make a good living not leaving the state. 

It’ll be interesting to compare 2021 as it should be a big year for both divisions weather and Covid permitting. 

8 hours ago, rpm72x said:

Either way, a full season solely focused on modifieds would result in around 50 (+ or - a few) wins.....many of which would be bigger purses. That isn’t happening In any other type of racecar. When you tack on the point money, he would be hard pressed to make more racing anything else. That has nothing to do with talent. I think in raw, god given ability he ranks at or right near the top of any field he would be a part of in the country. But, here, he has to deal with 2-12 professional race teams/drivers on any given night. They are big fish in a small pond.....out on the road they are all big fish and most all are professionals. That makes it way tougher for even the most talented of drivers.

What did TMac do last year? Any idea on what he may have put in his pocket? Do you think Stew would have a better year than him if he went full time in the Late Model? 

59 minutes ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

What did TMac do last year? Any idea on what he may have put in his pocket? Do you think Stew would have a better year than him if he went full time in the Late Model? 

Not off the bat. T-Mac has paid his dues in the latemodel, and had some very good seasons. Stew may have some years where he would make more money late model racing, but consistently over a 10 year period I don’t believe it would be a better financial option. Like I said your going from competing against a handful of teams on your level, to a whole field full of guys at that level. Most of which  have been full time latemodel drivers for much of their career. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, rpm72x said:

No way in hell a full season in mods would result in anywhere near 100 starts  let alone 120. 🙃   Possibly 80 starts on the very high end.  Maybe

And no way Stew is winning 50% of the time.   20 to 25 would be more realistic

• Thanks 1

2020 Season Totals

Class Starts Wins Top 5s Top 10s
Total 68 28 57 59
Big Block 62 28 54 55
Small Block 6 0 3 4
  • Like 2
53 minutes ago, leroy said:

No way in hell a full season in mods would result in anywhere near 100 starts  let alone 120. 🙃   Possibly 80 starts on the very high end.  Maybe

And no way Stew is winning 50% of the time.   20 to 25 would be more realistic

I believe Friesen had over 100 starts a few years back.....and it is realistic for stew to have 50 wins in a season. Barring horrible luck he would win 80% of the races at Fonda if not more, if his  2020 starts at Malta are any indication , he would win 50% of the races there. He could easily win 50% or more at Utica if he chose to race there, and he’s the favorite at 75% of the big races he attends. As I said weather would have to cooperate but stew could easily win 40-50 races of a 100 race season.

2011/12/13/15 Stew had over 90 starts. 2012- 102

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, ssxpress said:

2020 Season Totals

Class Starts Wins Top 5s Top 10s
Total 68 28 57 59
Big Block 62 28 54 55
Small Block 6 0 3 4

That’s heading in the direction I stated if he was racing a full season focused solely on mods and weather and viruses played nice. It would be very dumb to think he wouldn’t be even better if he was 100% focused on the mods and not splitting his time. 

7 hours ago, scottnorwood said:

There are 11 events paying 20k to win or better on Lucas and 11 on WoO, and there are only a couple conflicts, a team unconcerned about following a tour could conceivably run all 22 of them. 

There will also be (potentially, of course), 2 Dreams and 2 Worlds. 

• Like 1

Stew is the favourite any time he unloads a dirt modified. But it all depends on who’s paying the bills. If it’s a shared deal then it would make sense to focus exclusively on modifieds. But if Halmar is footing the entire bill then yeah why not get into late model racing and increase the chance to pad his bank account? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1