What do you think?

On OCFS Saturday Nights, a huge focus is being shifted to the HO Penn 358 Modifieds with many United Rentals DIRTcar Big Block shows now on Thursday nights.  With a lot of the same top notch competitors in both divisions and very comparable laps times, is any division less exciting than the other? Or is the legacy and the history of Big Blocks just too powerful? 

Come out and see the 358 Modifieds in action at OCFS Saturdays May 8, May 15 and May 22. Big Blocks return on Thursday May 27th for the Big Block "Twin"tyfive-75, a special 75-lap feature with twin 25-lap qualifying events. Many drivers from other tracks are expected as well as the fierce local competitors. Grandstands are open, the Bar is open!

CLICK HERE TO LIVESTREAM OCFS RACING EVERY WEEK!

dtdmay8.jpg

1 hour ago, ocfsracing said:

What do you think?

On OCFS Saturday Nights, a huge focus is being shifted to the HO Penn 358 Modifieds with many United Rentals DIRTcar Big Block shows now on Thursday nights.  With a lot of the same top notch competitors in both divisions and very comparable laps times, is any division less exciting than the other? Or is the legacy and the history of Big Blocks just too powerful? 

Come out and see the 358 Modifieds in action at OCFS Saturdays May 8, May 15 and May 22. Big Blocks return on Thursday May 27th for the Big Block "Twin"tyfive-75, a special 75-lap feature with twin 25-lap qualifying events. Many drivers from other tracks are expected as well as the fierce local competitors. Grandstands are open, the Bar is open!

CLICK HERE TO LIVESTREAM OCFS RACING EVERY WEEK!

dtdmay8.jpg

Did Halmar run out of money to pay for a legitimate ad on DTD??  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
1 hour ago, westracing01 said:

The future might be small blocks, but I don't think it's 358's per se. 

Maybe it will be 602's......... Once the green flag flies, I'm entertained equally by the BB, SB, or dare I say, the crates. 

358 would have been the headline division many places had the rules not changed constantly. weight penalty to run against big blocks, 650 carb, all made no sense for racers.

• Like 1

There hasn't been a weekly BB class in PA since Reading closed. The Purses at Grandview and lately Big Diamond have been higher than most BB tracks in NY for years. 

• Like 5

Wait............how many times have we heard that although the initial purchase price for a quality small block is less than a comparable quality big block, the more frequent refresh/maintenance of a small block negates any savings?  

42 minutes ago, DaRooster said:

Wait............how many times have we heard that although the initial purchase price for a quality small block is less than a comparable quality big block, the more frequent refresh/maintenance of a small block negates any savings?  

It’s a never ending cycle. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Mike Coleates said:

It’s a never ending cycle. 

Racing in general is. Everyone is always looking for that magic bullet of power, driveability and 5000 lap rebuilds... Hasn't happened yet. I wish more racers had realistic expectations. They'd wind up spending a lot less money in the end if they were just realistic about the whole deal up front.

Crate's don't do it for me. We had one for a season. No thanks. As a fan, they're visibly slow, but that just my opinion.

• Like 1

Awhile back I posted here about this same topic. Barely made it out alive with all the big block lovers lol!! I still do think 358’s or sportsman’s could very well be the future. Time will tell. 

2 minutes ago, toprow said:

Awhile back I posted here about this same topic. Barely made it out alive with all the big block lovers lol!! I still do think 358’s or sportsman’s could very well be the future. Time will tell. 

When that time comes, I'll quit going to the track.

16 minutes ago, toprow said:

It gets posted at least once a year for the last 10 years.   

1 hour ago, toprow said:

Why is that?

I like the big blocks, I prefer them over all other classes.  They should be the first feature of the night in my opinion.  

If the 358's do become the headliner, then let them run lighter, let's say a 1,950 lb minimum.  Then I'll go.

21 minutes ago, DaRooster said:

I like the big blocks, I prefer them over all other classes.  They should be the first feature of the night in my opinion.  

If the 358's do become the headliner, then let them run lighter, let's say a 1,950 lb minimum.  Then I'll go.

Are they going to be aluminum? Engine and chassis? 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, leroy said:

It gets posted at least once a year for the last 10 years.   

Agree it’s redundant. Started well before this forum. I think Billy Taylor changed asphalt racing with Geoff Bodine & a small block. 
Then Glenn squashed the big smallblock in DIRT. 
We were almost at a point that it was BB or the spec small block. Almost! 
Then Brett comes in and opens the rules again. 
I’m sure I missed some history,but seems to be the evolution. 

15 hours ago, ranger22 said:

There hasn't been a weekly BB class in PA since Reading closed. The Purses at Grandview and lately Big Diamond have been higher than most BB tracks in NY for years. 

Lernerville?  Penn Can?...

On 5/7/2021 at 2:23 PM, Bob Krummel said:

Maybe it will be 602's......... Once the green flag flies, I'm entertained equally by the BB, SB, or dare I say, the crates. 

I will agree with you on the 1/4 miles.  Not a big fan of watching crates on a 1/2 mile.

The crates are good for a support class.

To headline..... not so much

The people who say that they can not tell the difference?  ?  ?

Those folks need to widen their horizons

and check out a different track

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, FightForTheRail said:

You better hope Bayko doesn't see that post. 🤣

I didn’t need to. Other dudes gave aleeady clued him in, lol 

• Haha 1

I’m convinced that fans care more about costs than the racers themselves. I have thought about cheaper alternatives but at the end of the day I have no skin in the game. I love the sound, smell and experience associated with the BB class and if that’s around another 30 years with full fields and good racing than I’m thrilled. If it evolves, as things often do, than I’ll see what’s what and make my decision as we cross that bridge. For now it’s only worth worrying about what’s immediately in front of us and if the shows this spring are any sort of barometer it looks like we will be watching some stacked fields running for decent money. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Generally, racers are idiots. They bitch, whine and complain about costs, then open their wallets and burn stacks of $100 bills on the newest stuff. 

Businesses, homes, wives, everything is for sale to pay to play the game.

All that said, I agree Johnny. We're going to get to see some seriously good fields in the next few months for some pretty decent pay days. 

• Like 3