Jim King, Paul Szmal, Shane Andrews....Where are you when we need you?

Fonda is in dire need of an announcing team.....i'm to the point where i am muting them rather than having to listen to the nonsense coming from the tower

• Like 3
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess since I've been name-checked in this thread I should chime in, sorry it's taken a while, very busy these days (good thing): Let me address a few points: -Yes, I've been doing Outlaw

Boy I would hate to see your response if you were more than just a fan!

I’m a Varin fan but you’re a lunatic if you think he never uses that front bumper. And if the bumper is clean, check out those nerf bars because he uses those just as much. Bobby is a grown man, he do

I don't find the announcing team that bad. Sure there not the best but not bad enough to mute. Jmo

I think the new guy at Fonda sounds just fine. 

• Like 1

Fonda’s main guy is fine. Mimi is certainly newer to the PbP track announcer role and is getting used to it. She has stepped out of her comfort zone where she used to just do pit reporting or Victory Lane interviews. Totally different beast and she’s learning and I think will get there.

Trust me...it’s not easy and a lot of people probably think it’s easier then it looks. I’ve never had the opportunity to be an announcer at a race track but I’ve done a lot of “studio analysis” in college and then color commentary and very limited play by play since. It takes time and practice. It does come easier to some than others, but it’s also not just something you start being good at overnight. There is a lot that goes into being a good broadcaster aside from just having a good voice and being able to talk.

• Like 1

Funny, I thought they were doing a good job. Mimi is just starting out and I think she is off to a good start. It's a big challenge being in the announcer chair, and I am glad Fonda is bringing in fresh talent. It takes time, and some of the older folks may struggle with a female voice just because it is so different from what they have heard all their lives. Give them time to work as a pair, and I bet it works out fine. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, mike aylesworth said:

Funny, I thought they were doing a good job. Mimi is just starting out and I think she is off to a good start. It's a big challenge being in the announcer chair, and I am glad Fonda is bringing in fresh talent. It takes time, and some of the older folks may struggle with a female voice just because it is so different from what they have heard all their lives. Give them time to work as a pair, and I bet it works out fine. 

You're right....I'm old school...I want to hear lineups before the green flag & ongoing color commentary on the race....NOT worrying about creating nicknames, who knows more, the proper pronunciation of drivers names....talk about that stuff after the race is over and concentrate on what's happening on the track

14 hours ago, Sicklajoie said:

I think he does a good job also. Did well at Bridgeport and has transitioned well to Fonda.

I THOUGHT that was him!  This kid....and I am sorry...his name escapes me at this point....does a fantastic job of announcing!  I have listened to him a few times.  When I presented Andy Belmont with the Bill Hanna award last year at Bridgeport at one of the final shows of the year....I have to tell you...I was impressed with his talent for such a young kid.  He is going to have a future in this sport!  He's good.

• Like 2

At one point she also gave Bobby a compliment. As far as the 'beating and banging' comment, maybe he made contact and you just missed it.........one car being singled out in tech is nothing new, it happens constantly. 

Ok, now is the time for the posters with all the experience to verify how Tech works at most tracks. And specifically maybe at Fonda.  Do tracks commonly Tech just 1 car in the Modified feature?  I always thought they did 2 or 3 at the very minimum. Who has the facts on this?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, BV/DV fan said:

It's hard not appreciate puppyd's effort to 'de-escalate' things, so it is in that vein that I'm replying.

I wasn't trying to do anything more than state what I thought was completely unfair treatment by both Mimi and whomever made the decision to tech only 1 car. In tech, I'm pretty sure what they found, was the 18V is one of the most poorly funded modified teams in the pits. Props to the 18V for running as well as they are; they deserve props because they've earned them.

I didn't hear any compliments from Mimi, coming Bobby's way, but I've got Flo, so ... I'll rewatch it and post any compliments, if I can find 'em.

Finally, just because unfair tech practices happen does NOT mean that it's right or that fans shouldn't complain and just accept it. It's not right and fans should call out the Speedway, when needed, asking for an evenly applied standard (or at least a PERCEIVED level playing field).

I got to thinking about your post. Im not so sure she meant anything negative by it. I think she may have just been announcing what she thought she was seeing. Her dad Lou was famous for using the chrome horn at Fonda. I can remember him often coming up on slower cars and letting them know he was coming through.  Not necessarily "dirty" driving but maybe call it "aggressive".  Where do you draw the line? Racing is a contact sport.  Just my two cents.

Normally tech will consist of the top 5 cars. I don’t know for certain what Fonda’s policy is, it could very well be 2-3. As far as what goes on in tech....depends on the track and the rules at hand. At a place like Fulton with the spec head 358.....typically you would scale, they may check the rev box (MSD box made with 7600 rpm limit) with the tester.   They very well could check carb as it’s a 650cfm carb rule. The list goes on. You can get to checking cubic inch/ cylinder head porting etc. Tech that in depth is extremely rare....tech guys that actually know how to properly do engine tech is just as rare. Some tracks may take random tire samples....it’s not uncommon at a dirtcar track but I have never heard of deyo doing this. I’m not sure what Fonda would be looking for to begin with. They have a tire rule, no aluminum blocks.....from there it’s basically wide open. They have different weights for different engine combos, which I’m guessing that’s what they would be confirming in “tech”. That confirmation probably consists on pulling the hood and then asking the driver what they are looking at. I doubt very highly Bobby Varin was being singled out. Probably just finding out what combo they were using for scale purposes. 

I think the announcers they have are getting better. Got to give them some time. As far as Bobby “banging on cars” it was never shown on flo, so I can’t say that’s true or not. What I will say is he is often accused and his fans seem to constantly defend, usually that means something. You don’t hear that being said about guys like Decker or Fuller for example. I’m guessing where there is smoke there is fire and he’s not always innocent. 

14 hours ago, BV/DV fan said:

I've got no skin in the game, so I won't wait for an explanation ... I'm nothing more than a paying fan.

Boy I would hate to see your response if you were more than just a fan!

• Like 1
  • Haha 8