Jim King, Paul Szmal, Shane Andrews....Where are you when we need you?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess since I've been name-checked in this thread I should chime in, sorry it's taken a while, very busy these days (good thing): Let me address a few points: -Yes, I've been doing Outlaw

Boy I would hate to see your response if you were more than just a fan!

I’m a Varin fan but you’re a lunatic if you think he never uses that front bumper. And if the bumper is clean, check out those nerf bars because he uses those just as much. Bobby is a grown man, he do

1 hour ago, BV/DV fan said:

You wrote "I highly doubt Bobby Varin was singled out" - which is exactly the point I was trying to make - he WAS singled out. When the track only techs 1 car, can it not be said that that car was singled out? Or am I missing something? What else could it be called if not singled out?

He finished 5th on opening night which would have earned him tech (assuming they tech the top 5 finishers). At the very least, the track would've needed to confirm his combo for weight when he won the heat race on the same night. So there's that.

A little perspective can sometimes put things in a proper light to be analyzed in as objective a way as possible. Stewart Friesen has been the car to beat for how long? Almost since he pulled in the gates for his first season as a regular. Bobby last won the championship way back in 2018. Since then, Bobby hasn't done much racing. Fast forward to this year, and on Saturday Bobby was running his best race in the 18V since the car was built, and his best race at Fonda since ... how can I say this politely ... being relieved of his driving duties in the Palmer 76. And we're supposed to believe that he was out there 'beating and banging' with lapped cars trying desperately to keep up with Stewart Friesen?

That don't compute.

A guy with his experience doesn't just go hog wild (although in his younger years ... the stories that could be told). There was a night, again when he was driving for Jake, that he got spun out early in the feature and he was PISSED. He made his way up through the field and did NOT make any friends that night. Was he 'beating and banging' his way through? Yep. But that was definitely the exception rather than the rule.

If there are other fans defending him as vocally as yours truly, I'd love to meet them. Anyone? There's no one.

I openly address what I perceive as unfair treatment. When he finally hangs it up, he will be remembered as the Rodney Dangerfield of Dirt Modified racing, the guy who got little to no respect, from anyone. That's my opinion; he may have a different opinion. I defend him and will continue to do so, until I get deplatformed, because no one else is and for a driver of his accomplishments, it's ... almost a travesty. I can tell you that he doesn't care what anyone thinks about him (or if he does, he keeps it pretty well contained).

At the same time, you're absolutely right, he's not always innocent and I have heard many times over, HIM saying where he screwed the pooch, stepped on the crank, whatever, got into someone and then ... *gasp* ... taken full responsibility for his part in it.

1 example:

AJ Romano was on the receiving end of a Bobby Varin miscue (I think it was a partial year, maybe 2004  ... if memory serves me correctly Jack Johnson was running for Jake that year, but just couldn't seem to get a handle on the car).

It was a double feature night. Bobby won the first one, the INCIDENT happened in the second one. Watch the video, AJ is on the outside, Bobby is in the middle, Bobby's front tires are turned to the in-field, which any objective observer could rightly interpret that the ensuing contact was UNintentional. Promoter Ric Lucia didn't see it that way, but I digress.

Anyhow, the 2 cars made contact and AJ spun out, backing into the tire barrier in turn 4. AJ used his car as a weapon and went after the 1J, not once or twice, but 3 times. He succeeded in breaking off the front panhard mount on the front axle. I think Ryan Odasz won and Bobby finished second.

They did victory lane after the second feature and when asked about what happened Bobby acknowledged his part in what happened and said that he owed AJ an apology.

FTR sometimes there's smoke, but no fire. Just saying.

I will step up and defend him along with you.  I have watched him race from the very beginning.  And after reading again about "beating and banging" I think those may have been poorly chosen words but I wasnt there to see.  I am a fan of several drivers and I have a couple that I really like.  No matter how hard I try I cant come up with anything negative about Bobby or his son Danny either.  And I specifically remember Ronnie moving him out of the way in four as you described.  Bobby commented about it but didnt complain at all.  He said something to the effect that Ronnie did what he felt like he had to do to get the win and next time when its reversed I will probably do the same thing. He didnt whine or complain about it. I would say Bobby always puts on show and I am always happy to see him at any race track. And I do think he got singled out if they only teched one driver.  Like RPM said they usually do top 5 at a lot of tracks. Thats what I thought but Im not expert on it so thats why I asked.

• Like 1

Can you please explain to me what they were teching him for? Locker? Aluminum block? There are few rules to single anyone out? I have nothing but respect for Bobby varin, he’s extremely talented and very under rated. I’m just saying if lots of people have an opinion of you (for any reason) chances are there is some truth to it. Danny has a bit of a reputation as well, and I loved watching the Dr. go to work. 

2 hours ago, rpm72x said:

Can you please explain to me what they were teching him for? Locker? Aluminum block? There are few rules to single anyone out? I have nothing but respect for Bobby varin, he’s extremely talented and very under rated. I’m just saying if lots of people have an opinion of you (for any reason) chances are there is some truth to it. Danny has a bit of a reputation as well, and I loved watching the Dr. go to work. 

If you have 26 cars run a race and they tech one, I would say that driver is being singled out.  And dont most drivers have reputations? And did they ever find the TC that "everybody" thought Billy Decker was running? Any truth to that? You are waaaaay off the mark in my opinion.  If a lot of people have the same opinion about something it means there is some truth to it? Oh boy....... help me....

12 minutes ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

If you have 26 cars run a race and they tech one, I would say that driver is being singled out.  And dont most drivers have reputations? And did they ever find the TC that "everybody" thought Billy Decker was running? Any truth to that? You are waaaaay off the mark in my opinion.  If a lot of people have the same opinion about something it means there is some truth to it? Oh boy....... help me....

For what it’s worth I’m hearing top 3 were teched. 

• Confused 1
19 minutes ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

I believe its spelled BBBBBBBilly Decker.

• Haha 2

I'm pretty sure Chris Moore called most of the Modified race so I'm not sure where Mimi would have wedged in anything bad about Bobby.

39 minutes ago, Outlaw Photos said:

I'm pretty sure Chris Moore called most of the Modified race so I'm not sure where Mimi would have wedged in anything bad about Bobby.

Mountain out of no hill. 😢

19 hours ago, BV/DV fan said:

Mimi, on the other hand ... let's just say it didn't sit well with me when, under caution, she says, 'Bobby Varin is beating and banging his way through the lapped cars trying to keep up with Stewart.' [Note: that's a paraphrase; if I've mis-characterized it, by all means correct me....with evidence to the contrary.] If it were true, which it was NOT, it would be one thing to mention, but it just come across as though she had an axe to grind. Or something.

So I actually took the time to rewatch the feature on Flo, just like you did. The last footage on Flo of Varin on the track before the comment was made by Mimi was lap 10. Mimi's comment was made during the yellow on lap 28. So there's 18 laps that Mimi saw Varin and you did not. (Unless you had an exclusive Varin ISO cam) So there is certainly a chance that there was some "beating and banging" going on that she saw and you didn't. 

And just because someone hasn't replaced a front bumper doesn't absolve them from being labeled aggressive. These cars have side bars too, you know.

I’m a Varin fan but you’re a lunatic if you think he never uses that front bumper. And if the bumper is clean, check out those nerf bars because he uses those just as much. Bobby is a grown man, he doesn’t need you to come save him from Mimi Lazarro. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Sicklajoie said:

So I actually took the time to rewatch the feature on Flo, just like you did. The last footage on Flo of Varin on the track before the comment was made by Mimi was lap 10. Mimi's comment was made during the yellow on lap 28. So there's 18 laps that Mimi saw Varin and you did not. (Unless you had an exclusive Varin ISO cam) So there is certainly a chance that there was some "beating and banging" going on that she saw and you didn't. 

And just because someone hasn't replaced a front bumper doesn't absolve them from being labeled aggressive. These cars have side bars too, you know.

BV/DV could of possibly been actually sitting at the track? ?

4 hours ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

Unless someone knows what they checked at tech how do you know what was going on? Maybe I’m crazy....but I find it hard to believe Brett Deyo and track management decided they have a strong enough field, with enough marquee names , so let’s try and single out one of the most successful drivers at Fonda and get him to leave. We have enough fans as well so his fans can all leave also. That’s flat out stupid to think that. You would have to actually look for traction control to find it, and in case you missed it, there hasn’t been much tech on any big blocks in 25 years. As far as the “truth” part....yes I’ll stick to my original opinion. Bobby is regarded as a very good driver who can be very aggressive by a lot of people. Does that mean he was “beating and banging” on guys Saturday....nope, but to make it seem as though it wasn’t possible is not realistic either. Most of the time I’d side with Bobby if he was....sometimes lap cars need to be moved, especially if there is a dominant lane and they are parked in it. Now I will agree, it’s not necessary for an announcer to state that, there’s better ways of illustrating than making someone sound dirty, but she’s new. If that continued and she seemed to be biased, I’d agree it’s not a good thing. But give her more than 3 weeks to try and learn. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, premiumdiesel said:

why is it neccessary to trample over mimi ? what the f has she done to any of you ? 

Exactly, she has done nothing and she is learning. Give her some time.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, premiumdiesel said:

why is it neccessary to trample over mimi ? what the f has she done to any of you ? 

Everyone has to start somewhere...  Give her a break she's trying...   

• Like 4

I'd like to hear any one of you complainers pick up the microphone and try to do play by play or interviews. Even if you got lucky and happened to be decent at one of the two, it's highly unlikely that you would be good at both. I can't think of anybody who is great at both.

Find me at Oswego this fall oh, and I will gladly hand over the microphone to allow you to try doing a couple of interviews. I think almost anyone could interview a driver they liked or knew a lot about, but you interview multiple drivers and not sound repetitive is tough as hell.

As for play-by-play, good luck. I've been going to the races for over 50 years and I don't think there's a half a dozen people I've heard that are great at play-by-play.

The bottom line is that you will almost definitely suck at it.

One last thing... Mimi's comment about Bobby ... I love both of them. Although I am obviously partial to Mimi, I would be the first to reprimand her she talked shit about Bobby.

He is a toss and tumble style of driver. Some guys, like Kenny Tremont, will patiently try for 20 laps to get around a guy. Guys like Bobby will give a few chances to get out of the way and then will make it happen.

I don't remember Bobby waiting for anyone to get out of his way this past Saturday night, so what is your real complaint about Mimi?

• Like 6
17 hours ago, BV/DV fan said:

You wrote "I highly doubt Bobby Varin was singled out" - which is exactly the point I was trying to make - he WAS singled out. When the track only techs 1 car, can it not be said that that car was singled out? Or am I missing something? What else could it be called if not singled out?

He finished 5th on opening night which would have earned him tech (assuming they tech the top 5 finishers). At the very least, the track would've needed to confirm his combo for weight when he won the heat race on the same night. So there's that.

A little perspective can sometimes put things in a proper light to be analyzed in as objective a way as possible. Stewart Friesen has been the car to beat for how long? Almost since he pulled in the gates for his first season as a regular. Bobby last won the championship way back in 2018. Since then, Bobby hasn't done much racing. Fast forward to this year, and on Saturday Bobby was running his best race in the 18V since the car was built, and his best race at Fonda since ... how can I say this politely ... being relieved of his driving duties in the Palmer 76. And we're supposed to believe that he was out there 'beating and banging' with lapped cars trying desperately to keep up with Stewart Friesen?

That don't compute.

A guy with his experience doesn't just go hog wild (although in his younger years ... the stories that could be told). There was a night, again when he was driving for Jake, that he got spun out early in the feature and he was PISSED. He made his way up through the field and did NOT make any friends that night. Was he 'beating and banging' his way through? Yep. But that was definitely the exception rather than the rule.

If there are other fans defending him as vocally as yours truly, I'd love to meet them. Anyone? There's no one.

I openly address what I perceive as unfair treatment. When he finally hangs it up, he will be remembered as the Rodney Dangerfield of Dirt Modified racing, the guy who got little to no respect, from anyone. That's my opinion; he may have a different opinion. I defend him and will continue to do so, until I get deplatformed, because no one else is and for a driver of his accomplishments, it's ... almost a travesty. I can tell you that he doesn't care what anyone thinks about him (or if he does, he keeps it pretty well contained).

At the same time, you're absolutely right, he's not always innocent and I have heard many times over, HIM saying where he screwed the pooch, stepped on the crank, whatever, got into someone and then ... *gasp* ... taken full responsibility for his part in it.

1 example:

AJ Romano was on the receiving end of a Bobby Varin miscue (I think it was a partial year, maybe 2004  ... if memory serves me correctly Jack Johnson was running for Jake that year, but just couldn't seem to get a handle on the car).

It was a double feature night. Bobby won the first one, the INCIDENT happened in the second one. Watch the video, AJ is on the outside, Bobby is in the middle, Bobby's front tires are turned to the in-field, which any objective observer could rightly interpret that the ensuing contact was UNintentional. Promoter Ric Lucia didn't see it that way, but I digress.

Anyhow, the 2 cars made contact and AJ spun out, backing into the tire barrier in turn 4. AJ used his car as a weapon and went after the 1J, not once or twice, but 3 times. He succeeded in breaking off the front panhard mount on the front axle. I think Ryan Odasz won and Bobby finished second.

They did victory lane after the second feature and when asked about what happened Bobby acknowledged his part in what happened and said that he owed AJ an apology.

FTR sometimes there's smoke, but no fire. Just saying.

When is the book coming out?

• Like 1

The track can tech as many or as few cars as they wish. It's at their discretion. 1, 3 or 5 , the choice is theirs. I for the life of me can't figure out what they would have teched. The majority of the tech is done at the scale house when they come off the track. All cars that run at Fonda are either running a big small block or a big block,  both have to weigh 2400 lbs. At the same time they check for the correct tire compounds. 99% of the tech is now complete. Maybe they pulled Bobby's hood just to see what he had under the hood for an engine because it's the first time he's been in the top 3 this year. The first and third place cars have been teched numerous times this year at Deyo shows, always passing................As far as you being mad at Mimi for saying your driver was " beating and banging ", maybe she saw it , maybe she didn't.  In this thread you've given us multiple examples of your driver getting into it with other drivers. You're making her statement look more credible. 

• Like 1

I think Chris Moore and Mimi Lazaro are excellent announcers! Allot of insight and local racing history (Mimi)as far as racing goes,as well as very personal touch.

3 hours ago, puppyd said:

The track can tech as many or as few cars as they wish. It's at their discretion. 1, 3 or 5 , the choice is theirs. I for the life of me can't figure out what they would have teched. The majority of the tech is done at the scale house when they come off the track. All cars that run at Fonda are either running a big small block or a big block,  both have to weigh 2400 lbs. At the same time they check for the correct tire compounds. 99% of the tech is now complete. Maybe they pulled Bobby's hood just to see what he had under the hood for an engine because it's the first time he's been in the top 3 this year. The first and third place cars have been teched numerous times this year at Deyo shows, always passing................As far as you being mad at Mimi for saying your driver was " beating and banging ", maybe she saw it , maybe she didn't.  In this thread you've given us multiple examples of your driver getting into it with other drivers. You're making her statement look more credible. 

I was told the track teched  the top 3 not just the 2nd place car. Interesting that we haven’t heard anything about what they teched yet from the critic.....plenty to say yesterday.

I knew this was how this was going to turn out. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, except when their opinion doesn't match someone else's.

BV/DV fan... You can't say you have nothing more at stake other than being just a fan, and then take exception to wording someone used about your favorite drivers. It gives the impression that you are butt hurt.

I spoke with Mimi about it briefly last night. She said she would contact Bobby about it to see how he felt. If he felt there was an apology in order, she would offer one. Neither one of us thought he would have been as offended by it as you were because what she said was rather tame.

• Like 2