Any word on who is going to be racing tonight?

31 minutes ago, Jack Brady said:

Any word on who is going to be racing tonight?

I've heard Billy Decker, Andy Bachetti, Erick Rudolph, Danny Johnson and Jerry Higbie are some of the invaders in the pits tonight. 

• Like 1

Sheppard breaks at the white flag and hands the win to local up and comer Darren Smith. I'm off to take 3 showers now before I get in bed. Dirtiest I've been in years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Couldn't even see turn one.. wow...

Did Matt break before he cut down in front of the lap car or after? 

I thought he pulled off the track on his own power.  Matt Sheppard literally has either the best or absolute worst luck at the damnedest times.

He wins because he is one of the best ever, but like a lot of driver's say "I rather be lucky, then good".

4 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

Couldn't even see turn one.. wow...

Did Matt break before he cut down in front of the lap car or after? 

I thought he pulled off the track on his own power.  Matt Sheppard literally has either the best or absolute worst luck at the damnedest times.

He wins because he is one of the best ever, but like a lot of driver's say "I rather be lucky, then good".

Matt said he broke something in the LR suspension and that the lapped car had nothing to do with him breaking. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Zach Mahoney said:

Matt said he broke something in the LR suspension and that the lapped car had nothing to do with him breaking. 

The way Matt dove down into turn 1 I'm guessing something broke going down the front stretch and he was trying to get down and out of the way but couldn't get slowed down quick enough because you could tell on the video he was hard on the brakes when he shot back up the track in front of the lap car. 

Unfortunately the lap car had no where to go. 

Jeremy Smith's son. Same owner as Billy Decker's modified.

• Like 1

It was a pretty good race for the most part. Bachetti was right there with Sheppard and Decker, even getting pass Decker for half a lap. But then he just faded.. Creeden charged up pretty fast and also faded.

What is up with the Southern Tier surfaces? They all look like they are racing on silt. Is that just common now? In the 80s and 90s it would get dusty but not like that, and at a point it would blow off. But now it looks like they are racing in sand. And it's not just Thunder Mountain, all the tracks up there seem that way.  Those tracks can still put on a good show, just wonder why they seem to look like they are racing on a surface from the 50s.

8 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

It was a pretty good race for the most part. Bachetti was right there with Sheppard and Decker, even getting pass Decker for half a lap. But then he just faded.. Creeden charged up pretty fast and also faded.

What is up with the Southern Tier surfaces? They all look like they are racing on silt. Is that just common now? In the 80s and 90s it would get dusty but not like that, and at a point it would blow off. But now it looks like they are racing in sand. And it's not just Thunder Mountain, all the tracks up there seem that way.  Those tracks can still put on a good show, just wonder why they seem to look like they are racing on a surface from the 50s.

There is no good clay down this way. Afton has trucked in a few loads of clay from the Syracuse area the last couple years and they have a black slick surface now like the central NY tracks. The rest have yet to do so.

The best clay deposits in New York are actually in the Capital District and along the Hudson Valley river. Which came from a acient glaciel lake after the last Ice Age (the event, not the movie.)

There were also glaciel lakes all the way across NYS along what is now the Mohawk Valley river area and Erie Canal areas. They have smaller deposits and are mixed in with lime stone, shale, gypsum, salt, and dolostone. Its not as rich as the clay deposits in the Hudson Valley river and Lake Ablany area. That would explain why most the tracks in Central New York all have similar traites. I don't know how good the clay from the Hudson Valley is compared to the southern red clay or midwest clay tracks. But where ever Thunder Moutain, Penn Can, and FMP get there surfaces from now it's mostly just silt. It would get dusty back in the day, but nothing like it does now. FMP has very little to no tire wear, but wouldn't that just mean the tires aren't getting any real traction? 

What is tire wear like at Thunder Moutain?