Jump to content




Recommended Posts

Pretty good source told me that they got roughly dozen loads of new clay. And did some track reconfiguration. Also did some work with the jersey barriers to make entering and exiting corners better. Hopefully this will help the racing out!! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t think the racing @ Weedsport is nearly as bad as many on here make it out to be. Like any dirt track, it’s had its shitty moments, but overall it’s not bad. I’ll take the racing @ Weedsport over OCFS & LVS every single time. I’ve seen waaaaay more exciting races there than the 2 I just listed.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, jumper12a said:

I don’t think the racing @ Weedsport is nearly as bad as many on here make it out to be. Like any dirt track, it’s had its shitty moments, but overall it’s not bad. I’ll take the racing @ Weedsport over OCFS & LVS every single time. I’ve seen waaaaay more exciting races there than the 2 I just listed.

1000% agree. Does the racing live up to the facility…..not usually, but being the facility is lightyears ahead of basically all others in NYS…..that would be hard to live up to. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have seen way more exciting races at Weedsport vs Lebanon Valley and OCFS too.   Considering I have been to Weedsport a couple hundred more times?  It is a 40 minute ride vs 3 hr plus

.Racing at Weedsport used to be great.  In the 80’s and 90’s.   Not so much the last several years.  I quit going.   The 'showplace' thing does not matter to me .  I go to lots of tracks .  Pretty and not so pretty.

To be perfectly honest . A few of the tracks that I see the best racing at, and have had the best time at, are not showplaces . Far from it.   And 9 times out of 10. more on the 'fan friendly' side

I have been to Weedport twice in the last three years now. And both times it was for the AMA

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not the track that is at fault for the bad racing....blame the horse$hit series & their ridiculous racing regimen.....just give the purse to the platinum boys & start them up front for every race....don't blame the racetrack

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, racer80 said:

It's not the track that is at fault for the bad racing....blame the horse$hit series & their ridiculous racing regimen.....just give the purse to the platinum boys & start them up front for every race....don't blame the racetrack

We

Get

Your

Hatred

For 

SDS

With 

Every

Goddamn

Post

Give it up already.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey leroy. Do you think. It is possible to construct. Sentences that consist of. More than four or five. Words at a time? :sarcastichand:

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, leroy said:

I have seen way more exciting races at Weedsport vs Lebanon Valley and OCFS too.   Considering I have been to Weedsport a couple hundred more times?  It is a 40 minute ride vs 3 hr plus

.Racing at Weedsport used to be great.  In the 80’s and 90’s.   Not so much the last several years.  I quit going.   The 'showplace' thing does not matter to me .  I go to lots of tracks .  Pretty and not so pretty.

To be perfectly honest . A few of the tracks that I see the best racing at, and have had the best time at, are not showplaces . Far from it.   And 9 times out of 10. more on the 'fan friendly' side

I have been to Weedport twice in the last three years now. And both times it was for the AMA

 

I disagree that the racing was “great” in the earlier years. It’s always been solid, with the occasional really good one, and the occasional stinker. I really don’t see any difference in how the track races now compared to 1988. It’s still the same old Weedsport to me, with much nicer amenities. When I read so many complaints on here about the joint, and then all of the positives about other the places I mentioned, it’s seriously baffling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think the racing at Weedsport is all that bad... but its not all that good either... there's 2 things that make it seem bad in my opinion... A. It doesn't live up to the facility... and B. It doesn't live up to the unbelievable racing it hosted pre facility revamp and this is by far... far and away the biggest issue...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BobMiller said:

Hey leroy. Do you think. It is possible to construct. Sentences that consist of. More than four or five. Words at a time? :sarcastichand:

most likely not.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well Jimmy Phelps agrees that the track races a lot different now vs early 2000 late 90's. His words in this interview.

If there was no issue, they would not be trying to fix it.

Listen from about 3:00  and onward  

I am no track prep guy. But my personal opinion is that the racing surface would be better if the track went back to racing weekly.  

Regardless of whether or not the surface is good or not good.  I would probably go to Weedsport 3-4 times a year, instead of the 1 I go to now , If they raced on more Sundays during the year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, leroy said:

Well Jimmy Phelps agrees that the track races a lot different now vs early 2000 late 90's. His words in this interview.

If there was no issue, they would not be trying to fix it.

Listen from about 3:00  and onward  

I am no track prep guy. But my personal opinion is that the racing surface would be better if the track went back to racing weekly.  

Regardless of whether or not the surface is good or not good.  I would probably go to Weedsport 3-4 times a year, instead of the 1 I go to now , If they raced on more Sundays during the year.

As has been stated by many…..sunday racing is dead and gone in CNY. Too many options on Friday/Sat. People enjoy having 1 day a weekend off, and the costs are too high for 3 nights a week for most teams. A big part of Uticas revival has been the switch to Fridays. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

As has been stated by many…..sunday racing is dead and gone in CNY. Too many options on Friday/Sat. People enjoy having 1 day a weekend off, and the costs are too high for 3 nights a week for most teams. A big part of Uticas revival has been the switch to Fridays. 

It's not dead at my home track of Cornwall, Sunday night is king around here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rpm72x said:

As has been stated by many…..sunday racing is dead and gone in CNY. Too many options on Friday/Sat. People enjoy having 1 day a weekend off, and the costs are too high for 3 nights a week for most teams. A big part of Uticas revival has been the switch to Fridays. 

I am not going to dispute any of that.  It is what it is. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a theory... and its based of going there, and racing it on iracing.. so take that for whats is worth, lol... My theory the issue is NOT in the clay, or the track prep...

Turn 1 sets the stage for the entire track... The multiple lines guys used to run on entry into turn 2 made for a show... Thats gone... everytime Ive gone turn 1's been a lane, lane and half at best, no matter how many laps have been turned on it...  Turn 4 races very narrow at exit... What changed?

(NOTE: I use the word "races" because I was told the tracks footprint (outside wall and at the beginning inside wall) had not changed...

A. The pit move... I think the pits being on the outside of 4 changed the banking, and it would almost have to have a different transition where the cars come out...  That said... the top of 4 is continually run in at the beginning and the end of each race... just like turn 1 used to be... when it raced wider...

B. Walls... Its funny how simply adding a reference point for a driver changes the way they drive.,... For example turn 2 at Glen Ridge raced wayyyy wider (three wide at times) before the Tower was built and the backstretch wall was added.... Now.. rarely no one races up there... except for ESS night..;. and even then, the sportsman didn't seem "to want" to run out there...  1 used to have an opening... tricking the eye, now its a wall your driving straight at. 

 

😆As I said.. Its a theory... I could be on to something.. or I could be on something.... who knows...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's the complaint?  I was there in 2019 358 race Oct.  Williamson came from dead last to finish 3rd.  Wight and Maresca had a good battle for first on a restart with about 25 to go.  Sportsman had some good battles and 3 wide racing.

No dust, smooth track, plenty of parking, friendly staff, good food, stayed at a hotel just down the road.  This was my first visit to Weedsport and was happy to knock it off my bucket list.  Great value.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, leroy said:

Well Jimmy Phelps agrees that the track races a lot different now vs early 2000 late 90's. His words in this interview.

If there was no issue, they would not be trying to fix it.

Listen from about 3:00  and onward  

I am no track prep guy. But my personal opinion is that the racing surface would be better if the track went back to racing weekly.  

Regardless of whether or not the surface is good or not good.  I would probably go to Weedsport 3-4 times a year, instead of the 1 I go to now , If they raced on more Sundays during the year.

You can't post facts on here!!!!!!!!!! what are you thinking??!?!!?!?!?!?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whether it races a little different to some racers or not, it isn’t noticeable to me as a spectator. It’s still the same old Weedsport. Sometimes it produces very good racing, sometimes it’s decent racing, and sometimes it’s not so great. Overall, it’s not bad at all. There’s waaaaaaay worse tracks out there. The complaints just aren’t warranted in this particular case. This is a classic case of it’s such a great facility now, people have to find something else to whine about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How many tracks add clay in the fall or early winter before snow and how many add clay in the spring? How does it usually work out for the tracks that add clay in the spring when it doesnt get worked in and have time to sit? I always thought I remember reading that you have more success when you put the new clay down early?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Stewyfan44 said:

It's not dead at my home track of Cornwall, Sunday night is king around here.

Well if Cornwall was anywhere near CNY it wouldn’t be racing on sundays either.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

How many tracks add clay in the fall or early winter before snow and how many add clay in the spring? How does it usually work out for the tracks that add clay in the spring when it doesnt get worked in and have time to sit? I always thought I remember reading that you have more success when you put the new clay down early?

It’s all weather dependent usually, for both the track and location the clay is coming from. Weedsport races into October….they are not done around Labor Day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, jumper12a said:

Whether it races a little different to some racers or not, it isn’t noticeable to me as a spectator. It’s still the same old Weedsport. Sometimes it produces very good racing, sometimes it’s decent racing, and sometimes it’s not so great. Overall, it’s not bad at all. There’s waaaaaaay worse tracks out there. The complaints just aren’t warranted in this particular case. This is a classic case of it’s such a great facility now, people have to find something else to whine about.

Weedsport is the gold standard for updating the facility. Most people who complain about the racing are homers for dumpy tracks that also produce bad racing. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rpm72x said:

Weedsport is the gold standard for updating the facility. Most people who complain about the racing are homers for dumpy tracks that also produce bad racing. 

'homers'    how ironic is that in this thread. 🤣

Weedsport does look nice and pretty now. I will give them that.

But to be honest I never had any complaints about the 'old' Weedsport.  

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share














×
×
  • Create New...