The race track was in very good shape last night. Fall like weather conditions helped I am sure. The racing better than good.  The fireworks spectacular as usual.  Great crowd. 

However one or more scumbags decided to ruin what should of been a perfect evening. 

Arrived at the track plenty early with a friend.  Went inside early and marked a section of seating.  Actually zipped tied down a pair of coveralls to substitute for a blanket. Back outside, cooked up some deer dogs, . cucumber tomato salad  , potato salad.  A couple beers . Nice.  

Go back in.  My zip ties are busted and gone., The coveralls are rolled up and sitting on the stairs just below what was my seats.  None of several people sitting there or in any direction seemed to know anything about this or how it happened.   Just a bunch of  " I didn't do it". "i didn't do it".    

I have heard about this happening before at one or two places.  But this is the first time in 40 years of going to race tracks it has ever happened to me.  It takes a real "special" kind of people to do this I reckon.  I ended up sitting a couple rows down.  But I was pissed the rest of the night.   What a buzz kill.

1 minute ago, jwt said:

Never understood how reserving the general admission seats has been accepted. 

Because people might actually need to get up and go pee once in a while?

Maybe even go get something to eat or drink?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, leroy said:

Arrived at the track plenty early with a friend.  Went inside early and marked a section of seating.  Actually zipped tied down a pair of coveralls to substitute for a blanket. Back outside, cooked up some deer dogs, . cucumber tomato salad  , potato salad.  A couple beers . Nice.

4 minutes ago, jwt said:

Yes?  

They do allow people to go inside and out. As do the majority of race tracks. Free camping is also allowed.

I have been going to the races since 1983.  And not once did it ever occur to me to pull up someone elses belongings.   Some people are 'different' I guess.

I am just talking about your complaint. Holding seats before using them. Just my opinion and I am sure there are people that will be on both sides. I can’t recall anybody having a problem holding their seats while going to the bathroom or concessions. Dundee does have reserved seating, not sure if it is seasonal or some by the night. 

22 minutes ago, jwt said:

I am just talking about your complaint. Holding seats before using them. Just my opinion and I am sure there are people that will be on both sides. I can’t recall anybody having a problem holding their seats while going to the bathroom or concessions. Dundee does have reserved seating, not sure if it is seasonal or some by the night. 

I did use the seat . Then I went outside.  And then I came back in.  As did several other people.  Like any other race.  Been doing this for 40 years, and never an issue till last night

It just makes sense to me, not to mess with someone else belongings.  Obviously they were or are sitting there. Their stuff did not just show up by magic.  But you are living proof that some people see things different.

By the way.  I was at the track for just shy of 7 hours. 

I've witnessed this before a few times unfortunately. Once at Glen Ridge someone had put a blanket down and then went down to get something to eat, bathroom etc.. and the people who normally sit here on a weekly basis arrived and thought they were entitled to sit there for some reason even though the seats were already taken. Same thing at Fonda once as well. Not sure why some people think they are entitled over others. Snooze you lose plain and simple. Zero common sense anymore. But then I hate people as a whole now so nothing surprises me anymore. 

Reserving seats AFTER general admission gates open should never be an issue. Dundee has always promoted itself with free camping and allows people to come and go as they please. I do take exception to allowing people to reserve seats BEFORE general admission opens because the guy who lives in town can scoot down to the track and put up blankets for he and his buddies, where the regular weekly attendee from Rochester can't.

I've been in this situation a few times when Canandaigua was standing room only. One of them ended up in a fist fight because one of the jerks put his hands on my Dad like he was some kind of tough guy. That one didn't end well.

1 hour ago, jwt said:

seat saving has gone on forever  ..  Some tracks have what is called a blanket policy .. With if you put down a blanket the seat is yours up to a set time..

24 minutes ago, Outlaw Photos said:

seat saving has gone on forever  ..  Some tracks have what is called a blanket policy .. With if you put down a blanket the seat is yours up to a set time..

A policy for or against is good. Don’t mind mind if it is for preferred seats when the place won’t fill up. I am along the lines of bobs thinking. Just irks me when I have to sit below blankets because I didn’t show up hours early to get a good seat on a busy night. 

Interesting. I’ve only had this happen once & it was also at Dundee. Didn’t even leave for the parking lot. Went down to get a beverage & a pretzel. When I returned my blanket secured by bungee cords was under the bleachers in turn one. Nobody claimed to see a damn thing. 

Canandaigua got bad in the late 80s and the early 90s. They eventually stopped allowing everyone to reserve seats, which meant if you wanted to sit in your normal spot, you had to be standing in line when they opened the general admission booth and started selling tickets.

Some people aren't confrontational and won't say anything. If I were leroy and knew for certain which seats were mine and someone moved my blanket or overalls, I would have sat there anyway - even if it meant sitting on someone's lap.

• Like 1

My buddy and I both decided it was not worth it.  It was extra annoying though how nobody would fess up.

I sort of had a feeling there was going to be an issue coming my way two weeks or so ago.  Tyler has decided to get rid of the last section of seats in turn four.   Building a deck of some sort down there.  I have been setting right next door since my first day at the track or so.

I am not a tuff guy by any means and do not try to look for trouble anyhow.  I have had two different surgeries to my spine.  My back being the main reason why I try to get a seat at the top or by an isle. Somewhere I can fit my legs or stand up if need be.  I try to get along with people at the track and make new friends.  But who needs friends like that? ?  There were other seats near by.  I moved down just two rows. Obviously some one decided they would rather have my seat is all.

I am also not one of these people who saves rows of seats for people. I saved just two last night.  90 percent of the time I end up going by myself though. 

I can totally see the point how people do not like seats saved during the day.  Although I do have a friend who saves me a seat at Big Diamond when I go there.  I do know of tracks that do lock the gates . And what happens? People put their blankets and chairs in line at the ticket window.  Or rocks. 😂    Regardless, the people who arrive early are going to be in line ahead of those who show up late.   So?

Honestly, I have wondered why some of these tracks do not just started selling tickets earlier in the day when a lot of people are arriving and or camping.  I mean how much an hour do the people at the ticket window make ?  One or two food servers?.   May as well let people in and take their money?  Sell merchandise.  Port Royal for example. What is the sense of having a 100 plus yard line of people standing there in 90 degree heat?  Herded up like a line of cattle.  Open up the window. Sell tickets , and let them in.  Like I said. The people who have not yet arrived are going to be in line behind these people anyhow

• Like 2

When we would go up to Weedsport or Rolling Wheels my mom never blinked an eye when someone would try to remove someone else's blankets. She would immediately tell them to stop and find another spot. She wouldn't back down from anyone. My dad was quiet but a former MP in the Army, once he stood up the conversation was over and whoever it was would back down. Usually, people who take other people's seats are the bully type and don't know what to do when people stand up to them. 

But on the other side there was always this lady would come into Weedsport or Rolling Wheels and put down like 3 or 4 blankets. By race time they were only using two of them and had all their bags and stuff on the other two blankets. People would ask if someone was actually sitting there, and the woman would say yes, they just haven't gotten here yet. No one would ever show up, she just wanted the extra room for her group. So where do you draw the line?

2 minutes ago, dan dan said:

I agree with you Leroy, it ain't worth it. Especially since nowadays instead of swinging at you, your likely to get shot. 

You are more likely to get sued for emotional destress. 

1 hour ago, leroy said:

My buddy and I both decided it was not worth it.  It was extra annoying though how nobody would fess up.

I sort of had a feeling there was going to be an issue coming my way two weeks or so ago.  Tyler has decided to get rid of the last section of seats in turn four.   Building a deck of some sort down there.  I have been setting right next door since my first day at the track or so.

I am not a tuff guy by any means and do not try to look for trouble anyhow.  I have had two different surgeries to my spine.  My back being the main reason why I try to get a seat at the top or by an isle. Somewhere I can fit my legs or stand up if need be.  I try to get along with people at the track and make new friends.  But who needs friends like that? ?  There were other seats near by.  I moved down just two rows. Obviously some one decided they would rather have my seat is all.

I am also not one of these people who saves rows of seats for people. I saved just two last night.  90 percent of the time I end up going by myself though. 

I can totally see the point how people do not like seats saved during the day.  Although I do have a friend who saves me a seat at Big Diamond when I go there.  I do know of tracks that do lock the gates . And what happens? People put there blankets and chairs in line at the ticket window.  Or rocks. 😂    Regardless, the people who arrive early are going to be in line ahead of those who show up late.   So?

Honestly, I have wondered why some of these tracks do not just started selling tickets earlier in the day when a lot of people are arriving and or camping.  I mean how much an hour do the people at the ticket window make ?  One or two food servers?.   May as well let people in and take their money?  Sell merchandise.  Port Royal for example. What is the sense of having a 100 plus yard line of people standing there in 90 degree heat?  Herded up like a line of cattle.  Open up the window. Sell tickets , and let them in.  Like I said. The people who have not yet arrived are going to be in line behind these people anyhow

The same can be said for pit entry…..for years Brewerton and Fulton would have lines of trailers out to the road or wrapped all through the parking lot waiting to get in…..then the line to sign in was a mile long. You would be battling to get into the pits with haulers before you ever unloaded. It’s stupidity. Yet another area Glenn had it figured out. Someone driving the hauler would pull up, hand the guy at the gate their drivers liscense…..so they had to come back out and sign in…..the line went smoothly and no back ups. Apparently the extra 30 bucks it would cost these tracks to open the pit gates a couple hours early would break them. 

There were plenty of times at The Wheels drivers and haulers would get their early in the day and just drive right into the pits and park. When it was time the officials would just tell the guys they had to go over and pay. I hung around Charlie Rudolph and his crew for half the day in the Rolling Wheels pit till they told everyone had to get out to pay. Then I would go around and go up in the stands with my parents. We used to camp right up on the hill along the tree line next to the back entrance.

11 hours ago, BobMiller said:

Reserving seats AFTER general admission gates open should never be an issue. Dundee has always promoted itself with free camping and allows people to come and go as they please. I do take exception to allowing people to reserve seats BEFORE general admission opens because the guy who lives in town can scoot down to the track and put up blankets for he and his buddies, where the regular weekly attendee from Rochester can't.

I've been in this situation a few times when Canandaigua was standing room only. One of them ended up in a fist fight because one of the jerks put his hands on my Dad like he was some kind of tough guy. That one didn't end well.

Bob Connelly at Brewerton and Fulton when Harvey had the tracks would go through the stands before the gate opened and pull off all blankets or anything else that was put down......