Has anyone been to Williams Grove yet this year?

Last fall there were announcements all over facebook saying that the track was going to tear down the bridge on the back stretch. Being the back stretch camera operator for televised and streamed WoO Sprint events from 2005 through 2019, that bridge was in every one of my shots. I was just wondering if anyone had been there to see the track minus the bridge...

18157726_10154806644882772_6660593686915616080_n.jpg

222695_10150166448322772_538624_n.jpg

I think the track missed a rare golden opportunity on this one. Instead of sending it to the museum they should have figured out a way to situate it off T3 around Beer Hill area if possible.  Build an elevated floor and add a small drink/food rail area with permanent barstools and sell those for upgraded seating options similar to what Fenway Park does with the Green Monster. 

1920px-Fenway_Park05.jpg

• Like 2

The museum is a good place for the bridge. The museum won't go anywhere. Who knows how long it will remain a race track. 

My one point of contention on the bridge going to the museum versus a cool place to watch from is I have a sneaking suspicion once it comes down, it won't be able to go up as a functioning piece while keeping it appearing the same...

11 minutes ago, westracing01 said:

I'd have paid good money to watch a race from that bridge. I'd have signed whatever waiver they wanted, safety be damned. 

That said, it needed to go. The Grove is dangerous enough without it.

Lynn Schafer and Steve Gigeous - who shoot weekly video at Williams Grove wondered if I was trying to commit suicide by shooting that shot in the Graveyard. Nope. I was willing to throw the dice on odds. Lightning can and often does strike in the same place twice. But it's rare that it strikes in the same place twice in a row. It finally came down to the track saying they didn't want me up there any more, but I would have. Every time I shot there, I'd ask Steve or Lynn when the last time was that a car flipped into the Graveyard. When they said within the last week or two, I was comfortable shooting there. When they said it's been a while, I'd set up somewhere else. I also trust my gut feeling every time. They think I am nuts. Sometimes I would get a voice in my head telling me not to shoot in a certain location, or to make adjustments. I listened to that EVERY time.

I would have shot from the bridge if they would have let me.

Nuts was seeing a camera man on the backstretch at Lebanon Valley.. 

But back to topic, has anyone ever actually hit the bridge at Wiliams Grove? 

2 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

back about 50 yrs ago the Esh bros. tried to go under the bridge with their enclosed trailer with 2 wings on the top. well the trailer made it but both spare wings didn't. scrap alumium in 30 sec. i stood in the infield and all you could hear is metal wadding up.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jack Brady said:

Never will forget standing on the dirt burm heading into T3 at The Valley, Rabbitt leaning out to take a picture of the WoO cars coming straight at us while I held onto his back pack. 

I'm sure they were farther away, but it felt like you could almost reach out and slap the top wings as they went by. 

I think we got told to move... I know I was told to get out of there for a Mod show many years later. 

Best view I ever had at The Valley.

We were told to move from the dirt birm in the middle of the backstretch and when were were outside turn 3 on the hill during hotlaps waiting to get in... Nothing will ever top watching drag racing on the rescheduled show that one year in the backstretch gate while the water and packer trucks went by on the other side... that might be the dumbest we were at those shows, lol... 🤣 

Inside of turn 3 we were a ways back.. thats when they let you park your trucks up against the fence and tailgate in 3 and 4 during those shows.

10 hours ago, FightForTheRail said:

The bridge was hit several times over the years. Doug Esh and Greg Hodnett are two that I remember hitting the bridge.

I was there when Doug Esh was doing cartwheels until he was stopped by slamming the bridge.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1