LAFARGEVILLE, NY – It was a night of warm temperatures and plenty of green-flag racing at the Nasty Track of the North in LaFargeville, New York Friday night.
Billy Dunn in the number 49 dominated the field in the Whitesboro Plow Shop DIRTcar 358 Modified feature. He drove to sure victory, leading the rest of the field by a full straightaway at Can-Am Speedway, after starting the feature in tenth position.
The words of last week’s winner, Tim Fuller (19), seemed prescient when he said a week ago that he and Dunn would probably go back and forth all season. Last week it was Fuller in first and Dunn in second. This week Dunn took the checkered flag in first position, with Fuller in second. Tyler Meeks (9) rounded out the top three finishers.
“I didn’t have the best start at the beginning,” Dunn said from the Bob Johnson Auto Group Victory Lane. “But on the second restart things went my way and I could pretty much put it anywhere on the track and get what I wanted. We made a lot of changes [to the car] from last week to this week and it paid off.”
For the second week in a row, Ryan Bartlett (93) had the fastest car in qualifying racing, but experienced engine trouble almost immediately in the feature, billowing smoke out from the engine compartment and not finishing the race.
Tyler Corcoran (64) returned to his winning ways at Can-Am, taking home the victory in the Bob Johnson Auto Group DIRTcar Sportsman Modified feature. Corcoran started sixth and had to battle through the likes of Josh Reome (91) and Gavin Eisele (18e) to gain the victory. Corcoran was the Can-Am Track Champion in the DIRTcar Sportsman Modified division in 2020 and is now one step closer to a repeat performance in 2021.
In lap 15 of that feature, Remington Hamm (57h) caught the infield tractor tire in turn four, launching dramatically into the air and rolling onto the right side. Hamm was uninjured and out of the car quickly.
Additional winners for the night were Burton Ward (28) in the hard-fought and highly entertaining FABCO DIRTcar Prostock feature. Paul DeRuyter (1D) took the victory in the Donath Motor Worx Limited Sportsman feature.
There was some controversy in the Marsha Gibbons TLC Realty Thunderstock division feature as Mike Greenfield (17) took the checkered flag as the winner but was disqualified on post-race inspection. Steve Smith (16) became the winner for the night in that division.
Next up is the Memorial Day Weekend race on Friday night, May 28th, at Can-Am Speedway. For more information visit: racecanam.com.
Whitesboro Plow Shop DIRTcar 358 Modified feature:
1. 49 Billy Dunn, 2. 19 Tim Fuller, 3. 9 Tyler Meeks, 4. 45R Preston Forbes, 5. 27z Dylan Zacharias, 6. 18w Scott Webb, 7. 7s Shaun Shaw, 8. 31 Lance Willix , 9. 74 Lucas Fuller, 10. 28 Jordan McCreadie, 11. 1g Jackson Gill, 12. 1D Robert Delormier, 13. 23 Cameron Black, 14. 34AF Andrew Ferguson, 15. 21W Larry Welling, 16. 21R RJ Tressider, 17. 29 Jeff Sykes, 18. 27w Nick Webb, 19. 21H Andrew Howard, 20. 29J Joel Hall, 21. 36B Dan Beachard, 22. 47 Brent Cross, 23. 4B Richard Payne, 24. 93 Ryan Bartlett, 25. 34 George Foley (DNS).
Bob Johnson Auto Group DIRTcar Sportsman Modified feature:
1. 64 Tyler Corcoran, 2. 21 Taylor Caprara, 3. 18e Gavin Eisele, 4. 41 Dalton Rombough, 5. 32 Ryan Shanahan, 6. 621 Trevor Gibbons, 7. 1 David Rogers, 8. 7D Dustin Hutton, 9. 34 Eric Nier, 10. 16B Chris Bonoffski, 11. 18 Justin Gadbaw, 12. 92 Frank Sibley Jr., 13. 8 Kevin Warren, 14. 2x Mike Amell, 15. 12s Kyle Sharpe, 16. 410 Mike Fowler, 17. 91 Josh Reome, 18. 10B Jamie Brown, 19. 83D Dustin Bradley, 20. 57H Remington Hamm, 21. 6 Brian Hudson, 22. 62 Jonathan Murphy.
FABCO DIRTcar Prostock feature:
1. 28 Burton Ward, 2. 57K Kevin Fetterly, 3. 1X Justin White, 4. 2E Eli Gilbert, 5. X15 Tyler Bushey, 6. 3 Rich Dusckas, 7. 6C Brian Carter, 8. 16X Tim Bailey, 9. 60 Taylor Doxtater, 10. 75 Ken Hartshorn, 11. 118 Mike Kazmerczak.
Marsha Gibbons TLC Realty Thunderstock feature:
1. 16 Steve Smith, 2. 22 Tony Frezzo, 3. 3D Kevin Duffany, 4. 22J Jared Gilson, 5. 14D Scott Duffany, 6. 9 Colby Goodale, 7. 25 Tyler Collette, 8. 111J AJ St. Mary, 9. 11A Kevin Greenfield, 10. 61 Jerry Rogers, 11. 11J Justin Burns, 12. 73T Tim Greenfield, 13. 17 Mike Greenfield (DQ), 14. 99 Dustin Murphy (DNS).
Donath Motor Worx Limited Sportsman feature:
1. 1D Paul DeRuyter, 2. FOX28 Tyler Stevenson, 3. 36M Franklin Mackin, 4. 77L Buddy Leathley, 5. 17 Owen Nier.