News and Notes from Williams Grove Speedway 4/14/17 – DTD Exclusive


When Lance Dewease and Donnie Krietz get things clicking they proved that they are tough to beat. They struggled at the opener at Susquehanna Speedway which forced them to make changes. Those changes helped propel him to win No. 86 of his career at Williams Grove Speedway.

“We weren’t very good last week at Susquehanna,” mentioned Dewease. “I called Donnie (Kreitz) during the week and told him what I thought it acted like was wrong. Davey Brown worked on it during the week and kind of figured out what was wrong with it. It was a way nicer race car tonight. It’s still not where it needs to be, but it was way nicer.”

Dewease started fourth in the A-Main. It took only three laps for him to drive around Danny Dietrich for the lead. From there, that was all she wrote. Cautions fell at the right time and the veteran easily held on to earn the victory.

“I didn’t watch Danny (Dietrich) during the heat races, but his lap times were pretty good,” mentioned Dewease. “He kind of ran the bottom and probably figured that is where I was going to be, but we could run up top tonight. When this thing is right, we can do that. It just had enough wet spots in the middle that if you hit it right, you could drive off. If you hit it wrong, you weren’t any good. We were fortunate and we were able to hang on.”


It’s not very often that Danny Dietrich starts on the pole of a Sprint Car feature and doesn’t win. Unfortunately for the Gettysburg, Pa., driver that was the case on Friday night. Dietrich watched as Dewease went around him through turns one and two. He went low while Dewease went to the middle to pass him for the advantage.

“I just felt good there on the bottom on the start, but he (Dewease) got around me,” commented Dietrich. “He beat me off the corner and that was pretty much all she wrote. Every time we would catch traffic the caution would come out. I think I was a lot better in dirty air based on the looks of things. I was a little freer. It never got to that point. He ran a good race and didn’t screw up at all. We just come home second. It was still a good night. It’s just frustrating when you start on the pole and run second.”

Dietrich was given one last opportunity late after a lap 17 red flag. He got a good restart, but Dewease took his line away on the bottom forcing Dietrich to go high. The move nearly paid off as he came up just a bit short.

“I had a better restart, but he took my line,” said Dietrich. “I tried around him but just couldn’t get there. Our car gave up a little bit. We’ll go tomorrow to the shop and see if we can find anything wrong with it because it took about a lap or two and the car completely went away. We had our hands full after that.”


Freddie Rahmer was making a charge to the front in the late stages of the 25-lap feature Friday. That was until the caution came out late. That resulted in Rahmer settling for third.

“I didn’t want that caution on lap 17 because I think we were catching both Lance and Dietrich,” stated Rahmer. “I don’t know what I could have done with them. I think we were good enough to maybe get Dietrich. Sometimes those cautions, not being as experienced, gets me out of rhythm a little bit. I made a couple mistakes at the end. I got over the curb. I’m pretty happy because all night long we were right in the hunt.”


36 cars were in attendance on Friday at Williams Grove Speedway with heat race wins going to Alan Krimes, Rahmer, Dietrich and Doug Esh. Matt Campbell won the B-Main event…

Daryl Stimeling got upside down in the heat race in turns one and two. He was uninjured in the incident and returned to run the B-Main…

Glendon Forsythe and Rodney Westhafer had problem in hot laps which ended both of their night’s early…

New Yorker’s Coleman Gulick and Joe Trenca made the trek south from New York. Gulick transferred through the A-Main earning a redraw spot for the feature in his first winged start at the Grove. He made the draw and started 11th before finishing 11th. Trenca finished seventh in the B-Main…

There was one red flag during the A-Main on lap 17. TJ Stutts got in trouble at the exit of turn two. He was unhurt in the crash.