WEST HAVEN, VT – The saying goes that old dogs can’t learn new tricks, but Kenny Tremont Jr. learned one in the season opener at Devil’s Bowl Speedway and used it on Josh Sunn at his first opportunity and won the 30-lap Central Vermont Motorcycles Sportsman Modified feature on Sunday, June 3. For the veteran racer from West Sand Lake, N.Y., the victory was the 80th of his career at the Vermont track, extending his all-time record.
A heads-up lineup after qualifying heats put Tremont and Sunn on the front row for the headline race for the weekly NASCAR Whelen All-American Series, setting up a rematch from the opener one week earlier. In that race, Sunn surprised Tremont by using one of Tremont’s trademark inside-lane passes to take the lead and the win. This time around, Tremont anticipated Sunn’s every move and struck when the time was right, passing his young rival in heavy lapped traffic with 10 laps remaining.
Sunn, of White River Junction, Vt., settled for second as Tremont pulled away in the closing circuits. Tim LaDuc outlasted a race-long charge by Adam Pierson for third place; Pierson took fourth with Kevin Chaffee fifth. Connor Cleveland ran sixth, followed by Brian Calabrese, Billy Lussier, David Schilling, and Joey Scarborough. Twenty-nine Sportsman Modifieds were on hand; Tremont, Sunn, and LaDuc won qualifying heats and Brian Whittemore won the last-chance qualifier.
Paolo Pascarella of Troy, N.Y., came home a first-time Devil’s Bowl winner in the O’Reilly Auto Parts Limited Sportsman division. The 20-lap feature that was slow to get going but had great racing once it got into a rhythm. Pascarella led all but two laps but was under nearly constant pressure from opening night winner and eventual runner-up Travis Billington.
Dylan Rabtoy, who was the Super Stock champion on the former asphalt track at Devil’s Bowl last year, started 12th and finished an impressive third in his first appearance on the new half-mile dirt surface. Joey Roberts finished fourth and Brent Warren rebounded from an early trip to pit road to finish fifth. Matt Bilodeau, Adam Piper, Mike Parodi, Jamey Ferland, and R.J. Germain completed the top 10 in order.
Billy Duprey of Hydeville, Vt., hit a big milestone in the 20-lap Rosen & Berger Super Stock feature, as he collected the 50th victory of his Devil’s Bowl career. Duprey’s win was redemption after he suffered a massive driveline failure while leading on opening night. Defending champion Chris Murray finished second after putting on a wild show on the extreme outside lane. Scott FitzGerald, Curtis Condon, and Lou Gancarz were next in line.
Jason Porter of Freeport, Maine, was the overall winner of the annual “3×10” segmented event for the Portland Glass Mini Stock division. Porter put together the lowest three-segment total score by finishing second, second, and ninth in the three 10-lap segments, for a total of 13 race points.
Derrick Counter scored 14 points (fourth, fifth, fifth) to take the overall runner-up spot, with asphalt champion Shawn Moquin third overall at 15 points (fifth, fourth, sixth). Rookie Craig Kirby (15 points) and Tim Simonds (17 points) completed the overall top five; original third-place finisher Mike Preston’s car failed post-race inspection and was disqualified. Simonds, Kirby, and Kaleb Shepard won the segments.
Colby Beinhaur of Shoreham, Vt., was a first-time winner in the Friend Construction 500cc Mini Sprint division, dominating the 15-lap feature race. Beinhaur led by as much as a half-lap over the rest of the field, outdistancing runner-up Cody O’Brien and first-time Devil’s Bowl racer Brandon Emerson for the win. Rookie Dakota Green finished fourth with Erick Mulready fifth.
Devil’s Bowl Speedway returns to action with a special mid-week event on Wednesday, June 6, as the ground-pounding “358” Modifieds return with the King of Dirt Racing Series, presented by A-Verdi Storage Containers. The Limited Sportsman, Super Stock, and Mini Stock divisions will also be on the card. General admission is $15 for adults, $13 for seniors, $5 for teens (13-17), and free for kids age 12 and under. Racing starts at 7:00 p.m.
Devil’s Bowl Speedway is located on Route 22A in West Haven, Vt., four miles north of U.S. Route 4, Exit 2, and just 20 minutes from Rutland, Vt. For more information, visit www.DevilsBowlSpeedwayVT.com or call (802) 265-3112. Devil’s Bowl Speedway is on Facebook at facebook.com/DevilsBowlSpeedway and on Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat at @DevilsBowlSpeed; follow the action using the #DevilsBowl hashtag.
UNOFFICIAL RESULTS – Mini Stock “3×10” Special
Devil’s Bowl Speedway – West Haven, Vt.
NASCAR Whelen All-American Series
Sunday, June 3, 2018
Central Vermont Motorcycles Sportsman Modified Feature (30 laps)
# – denotes rookie
- (1) Kenny Tremont Jr., West Sand Lake, N.Y.
- (2) Josh Sunn, White River Junction, Vt.
- (3) Tim LaDuc, Orwell, Vt.
- (5) Adam Pierson, East Corinth, Vt.
- (6) Kevin Chaffee, Bradford, Vt.
- (14) Connor Cleveland, Corinth, N.Y.
- (4) Brian Calabrese, Johnstown, N.Y.
- (7) Billy Lussier, Fair Haven, Vt.
- (12) David Schilling, East Greenbush, N.Y.
- (8) Joey Scarborough, Brandon, Vt.
- (10) Codie Aubin, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
- (16) Trevor Rocke, Canaan, N.H.
- (17) # Tanner Siemons, Orford, N.H.
- (9) Jake Scarborough, Brandon, Vt.
- (26) Vince Quenneville Jr., Brandon, Vt.
- (23) Frank Hoard, Jr., North Granville, N.Y.
- (19) Marty Kelly III, North Bennington, Vt.
- (18) Brian Whittemore, Pittsford, Vt.
- (22) Tomas Kimball, White River Junction, Vt.
- (21) James Fadden, Plainfield, N.H.
- (25) # Bruce Loomis, Granville, N.Y.
- (24) Justin Comes, Middlebury, Vt.
- (27) Mike Fisher, Castleton, Vt.
- (20) Floyd Billington, South Glens Falls, N.Y.
- (15) Alex Bell, Cambridge, N.Y.
- (11) Ron Proctor, Charlton, N.Y.
- (20) Jimmy Ryan, Shoreham, Vt.
Did Not Start: Ricky Sanville, Canaan, N.H.; # Jeff Washburn, Benson, Vt.
Heat Winners: Kenny Tremont Jr., Josh Sunn, Tim LaDuc
Consi Winner: Brian Whittemore
Shiley Fabrication Hard Charger Award: Vince Quenneville Jr. (+11 positions)
Shiley Fabrication Hard Luck Award: Jeff Washburn
O’Reilly Auto Parts Limited Sportsman Feature (20 laps)
- (2) Paolo Pascarella, Troy, N.Y.
- (5) Travis Billington, South Glens Falls, N.Y.
- (12) Dylan Rabtoy, Swanton, Vt.
- (4) Joey Roberts, Fletcher, Vt.
- (11) Brent Warren, Salisbury, Vt.
- (1) Matt Bilodeau, Pittsford, Vt.
- (7) Adam Piper, Leicester, Vt.
- (14) Mike Parodi, South Glens Falls, N.Y.
- (20) Jamey Ferland, Charlestown, N.H.
- (10) R.J. Germain, Bristol, Vt.
- (8) Josh Rozelle, West Pawlet, Vt.
- (15) Tanner Forbes, Jay, N.Y.
- (3) David Kendall, Enfield, N.H.
- (6) Larry Gallipo, Rutland, Vt.
- (17) Kyle Hoard, North Granville, N.Y.
- (16) Dan Lyle, Bennington, Vt.
- (21) Timmy Aldrighetti, Bethel, Vt.
- (19) Jason Baker, South Glens Falls, N.Y.
- (12) Ralph Reynolds, Jr., Rutland, Vt.
- (9) Montgomery Tremont, West Sand Lake, N.Y.
Did Not Start: Jeremy Bishop, North Clarendon, Vt.
Shiley Fabrication Hard Charger Award: Jamey Ferland (+11 positions)
Shiley Fabrication Hard Luck Award: Jeremy Bishop
Rosen & Berger Auto Recyclers Super Stock Feature (20 laps)
# – denotes rookie
- (1) Bill Duprey, Hydeville, Vt.
- (2) Chris Murray, Fair Haven, Vt.
- (3) Scott FitzGerald, West Rutland, Vt.
- (8) Curtis Condon, Queensbury, N.Y.
- (4) Lou Gancarz, North Adams, Mass.
- (5) Josh Bussino, Mount Holly, Vt.
- (9) Michael Clark Jr., Salisbury, Vt.
- (11) # Roo Forrest, West Rutland, Vt.
- (12) # Andrew FitzGerald, West Rutland, Vt.
- (10) Ronnie Alger, Orwell, Vt.
- (6) Frank Monroe, Granville, N.Y.
- (7) Larry Bristol, Rutland, Vt.
Heat Winners: Bill Duprey, Chris Murray
Portland Glass Mini Stock Feature (10 laps x 3)
# – denotes rookie
- (20) Jason Porter, Freeport, Maine – 13 pts.
- (2) Derrick Counter, Leicester, Vt. – 14 pts.
- (6) Shawn Moquin, Milton, Vt. – 15 pts.
- (12) # Craig Kirby, Winooski, Vt. – 15 pts.
- (3) Tim Simonds, Clarendon, Vt. – 17 pts.
- (10) Chris Conroy, Newport, N.H. – 21 pts.
- (14) Chad White, Fort Ann, N.Y. – 24 pts.
- (21) Dakota Desabrais, Whitehall, N.Y. – 25 pts.
- (18) Brandon Ely, Bennington, Vt. – 28 pts.
- (1) Willie Rice, Poultney, Vt. – 33 pts.
- (9) Jake Barrows, Cornwall, Vt. – 33 pts.
- (4) Johnny Bruno, Castleton, Vt. – 39 pts.
- (15) # Lynn Denton, Milton, Vt. – 41 pts.
- (5) Kaleb Shepard, Vergennes, Vt. – 43 pts.
- (17) Mike Lique, Lebanon, N.H. – 44 pts.
- (19) # Scott Cowdrey, Leicester, Vt. – 50 pts.
- (16) Shawn Rogers, Fair Haven, Vt. – 51 pts.
- (13) # Chris Guyette, North Clarendon, Vt. – 55 pts.
- (7) Josh Kennedy, Rochester, Vt. – 56 pts.
- (11) Kyle Rogers, Fair Haven, Vt. – 62 pts.
Disqualified: (8) Mike Preston, Panton, Vt. – 15 pts.
Did Not Start: # Tanner Lunt, Fort Ann, N.Y.
Segment Winners: Tim Simonds, Craig Kirby, Kaleb Shepard
Friend Construction 500cc Mini Sprint Feature (15 laps)
# – denotes rookie
- (1) Colby Beinhaur, Shoreham, Vt.
- (5) Cody O’Brien, Springfield, Vt.
- (7) Brandon Emerson
- (9) # Dakota Green, Eagle Bridge, N.Y.
- (4) Erick Mulready, Hoosick Falls, N.Y.
- (3) Mike Bradley, Cambridge, N.Y.
- (8) # Shawn McPhee, Rutland, Vt.
- (14) Austin Chaves, Chester, Vt.
- (12) # Tye Vaillancourt, New Ipswich, N.H.
- (6) # Joel Belanger, Washington, N.H.
- (11) # Samantha Mulready, Hoosick Falls, N.Y.
- (2) Robert Griffin, Sunapee, N.H.
- (13) # Gordon Sheehan, West Rutland, Vt.
- (15) Nadine Coates, Newport, N.H.
- (10) # John McPhee Jr., Rutland, Vt.
Heat Winners: Colby Beinhaur, Robert Griffin