WEST HAVEN, VT – Marty Kelly and Demetrios Drellos both picked up victories on Saturday night in the Sportsman Modified division.
Sportsman Modified – Feature #1 – 20 Laps
1. 357 Marty Kelly, III – North Bennington, VT
2. 5 Tanner Siemons – Orford, NH
3. 36T Tim LaDuc – Orwell, VT
4. 11VT Joey Scarborough – Brandon, VT
5. 111 Demetrios Drellos – Queensbury, NY
SUMMARY: Marty Kelly III won a wildly unpredictable race in the first of two 20-lap features, after a late pass of both Joey Scarborough and Tanner Siemons. While leader Scarborough was busy defending a move by Siemons, Kelly swooped under both in Turn 4 on lap 16 to steal the lead, and then Kelly held on through two green-white-checkered restarts for the win.
Sportsman Modified – Feature #2 – 20 Laps
1. 111 Demetrios Drellos – Queensbury, NY
2. 10 Don Mattison – Wells, VT
3. 11VT Joey Scarborough – Brandon, VT
4. 23 Alex Bell – Cambridge, NY
5. 60 Jimmy Ryan – Shoreham, VT
SUMMARY: Demetrios Drellos – who had a flat tire while leading the first feature – came from 16th at the start to drive past Don Mattison with three laps remaining for his third win of 2021. Mattison, Drellos, and Alex Bell put forth an incredible battle at the front of the field in the second half of the race.
O’Reilly Auto Parts Limited Sportsman – 25 Laps (extended to 26 laps by green-white-checkered finish)
1. 13 Troy Audet – Bridport, VT
2. 5 Scott FitzGerald – West Rutland, VT
3. 65 John Gosselin – Shoreham, VT
4. 211 Anthony Ryan – Benson, VT
5. 00 Beau Reeves – Plattsburgh, NY
SUMMARY: Former 500cc Mini Sprint racer Troy Audet posted his first Modified win in the Limited Sportsman feature after starting 11th and driving past leader Dakota Green on the outside on lap 20. Audet was forced to hold off Scott FitzGerald over four quick restarts in the final laps.
Super Stock – 20 Laps
1. M7 Chris Murray – Fair Haven, VT
2. 22 Mark Norris – Benson, VT
3. 3B Paul Braymer – Granville, NY
4. 2X Josh Bussino – Fair Haven, VT
5. 5 Chuck Bradford – Addison, VT
SUMMARY: Chris Murray saved his best for last, leading only the final half-lap while fighting an issue with his car’s brakes. Murray scooted under Mark Norris – who had led every step of the way to that point – for his fourth consecutive win.
Summit Up Construction Mini Stock – 20 Laps
1. 18X Jake Barrows – Middlebury, VT
2. 44 Craig Kirby – St. Albans, VT
3. 18T Clemmy Bell – Peru, NY
4. 73 Willie Rice – Poultney, VT
5. 27X Brian Blake – Cornwall, VT
SUMMARY: In a crazy race that seemingly nobody wanted to win, Jake Barrows got back into victory lane after a winless 2020 season. Barrows led the race on three different occasions, and no less than five other drivers spent time up front before being knocked out by wrecks or mechanical failures. Only 13 of 29 starters finished.
Friend Construction 500cc Mini Sprint – 15 Laps
1. 23 Austin Chaves – Chester, VT
2. 723 Ray Hanson – Orwell, VT
3. 42JR Kamden Duffy – Richmond, NH
4. 73 Vern Woodard – Fair Haven, VT
5. 17 Kaidin White – Monkton, VT
SUMMARY: In what he says will be his final race for the foreseeable future, former champion Austin Chaves went out on top with a win. With his car sporting a “for sale” sign, Chaves blitzed the field early and then narrowly held off point leader Ray Hanson at the finish.
ALL RESULTS ARE UNOFFICIAL PENDING TECHNICAL INSPECTION – FULL RESULTS COMING SOON