By DOUG WATSON
BUDDS CREEK, MD- Defending Late Model track champion Dale Hollidge wired the field to score his first feature win of the season last Friday night at Potomac Speedway. The win for Hollidge, aboard his Greg Gunter owned Rocket XR-1 no.0, was his 12th career win at the track and earned him a cool $3000 pay day.
The redraw placed Amanda Whaley and Dale Hollidge on the front row for the start of the 35-lap main event with Hollidge bursting into the lead as the field scattered off turn two. Dan Stone chased Hollidge for 19-laps before his car quit on the 24th lap, handing the spot back to Amanda Whaley who chased Hollidge for the duration, but would settle for her second runner up finish of the season at Potomac.
“We weren’t as good as we could of been in time trials, but the car really came around for the feature.” Dale stated in victory lane. “This is the same car we took to Georgia and its the first time we’ve run it here at home and I’d say it was pretty good for the feature.”
Getting to the front first was key to Hollidge’s winning drive.
“These cars like clean air.” Dale stated. “Amanda (Whaley) has been pretty good down here and I knew if we could beat her into the first corner, we’d have a good shot to win and we were able to get it done.”
Glenn Elliott was third, Ross Robinson recovered from an early race spin for fourth with Daryl Hills rounding out the top-five. Heats for the 21 cars entered went to Jason Covert, Hollidge and Whaley.
Matt Hill scored a flag to flag win in the companion 25-lap RUSH Crate Late Model main for his 3rd career win at the speedway. Hill had to with stand the repeated advances from eventual runner up Tyler Bare and a slew of caution flags, to post the $1000 win aboard his Rocket no.84.
“Wow, this is awesome to win here tonight.” A jubilant Matt Hill stated post race. “As bad as we were at Delmar last night, I wasn’t sure if we were even going to come here tonight, but I’m sure glad we did, we had a great car tonight.”
Corey Almond took third with Cody Dawson and Matt Quade completing the top-five. Heats for the 23 entries went to Hill, Bare and Almond.
In support class action defending track champion Sam Archer drove to his second win of the season and 12th of his career, in the 15-lap Hobby Stock feature, Justin Bowley collected his first-ever Potomac feature win in the 15-lap U-Car event with former class champion John Hardesty scoring his 14th career win in the nightcap 15-lap Strictly Stock main.
Late Model feature finish
1. Dale Hollidge 2. Amand Whaley 3. Glenn Elliott 4. Ross Robinson 5. Daryl Hills 6. Jamie Lathroum 7. Tyler Horst 8. Ricky Elliott 9. Jason Miller 10. Tyler Emory 11. Rich Marks 12. Mark Pettyjohn 13. Kenny Moreland 14. Dan Stone 15. Jason Covert 16. Brent Bordeaux 17. Carl Grady 18. Nick Davis 19. Scott Wilson 20. Walker Arthur 21. Steven Axtell Jr.
RUSH Crate Late Model feature finish
1. Matt Hill 2. Tyler Bare 3. Corey Almond 4. Cody Dawson 5. Matt Quade 6. Logan Roberson 7. Matt Glanden 8. Brent Bordeaux 9. Ryan Clement 10. Chuck Bowie 11. Matt Tarbox 12. Allen Brannon 13. Rich Culver 14. Sparky White 15. Steve Lowery 16. Darren Alvey 17. Mike Franklin 18. Jamie Sutphin 19. David Williams 20. Ben Bowie 21. Tracey Graves 22. James Marshall 23. Jeff Pilkerton
Hobby Stock feature finish
1. Sam Archer 2. Hilton Pickeral 3. Greg Morgan 4. Ray Bucci 5. Buddy Dunagan 6. Jonathan Knott 7. Sam Raley 8. James Rainey 9. Jerry Deason 10. Dave Adams 11. Mikey Latham 12. Matt Randall 13. Corey Swaim 14. Tommy Randall DNS- Luke Lukinic, Robbie Kramer, Jeff Price, Travis Hopkins, Pete Stallings DQ- Joe Adams
U-Car feature finish
1. Justin Bowley 2. Allen Griffith 3. Savannah Windsor 4. Austin Nichols 5. Jamie Marks 6. James Neff 7. Stephen Suite 8. Leon Stover 9. Ryan Quade 10. Dominic Silvious 11. Michael Leigh 12. Ben Pirner 13. Dominic King
Strictly Stock feature finish
1. John Hardesty 2. Greg Mattingly 3. Nabil Guffey 4. Jeff Block 5. Drew Payne 6. Johnny Hardesty 7. JJ Silvious 8. Ed Pope Sr. 9. Stevie Gingery 10. Jimmy Suite (DNS)