BRIGHTON, ONT – A trio of returning Brighton Speedway champions put the hammer down Saturday night kicking off what promises be a fierce points battle throughout the 51st season.
Sunny skies brought large crowds eager to take in a full card of racing presented by Fidelity Engineering & Construction Inc, Brighton MyFM Oldies 100.9 and Classic Rock 107.9. Fans helped to fill the Campbellford Chrysler Pace Truck full of non-perishable food items for donation to the Brighton Food Share Program.
Sandercock Stomps Victory Lane
Charlie Sandercock (No.57 Bellevue Fabricating) and Brandon Mowat (No. 46 Target Fabrication) led the Vanderlaan Building Products Pro Late Model 30-lap feature to the green flag. The pair battled it out for a couple of laps but an early caution by Mowat on lap 3 would put him to the back of the field. On the restart No. 5 Steve Baldwin and No. 89 Austin King would tangle for an immediate yellow. With Mowat out of the way, No. 29 Phil Potts pushed hard to catch the leader Sandercock. On the sixth lap No. 12 Kyle Sopaz secured third and never let up, tracking down Potts and Sandercock with a solid chase from No. 09 Robbie Wilson and No. 89 Austin King. Sandercock checked out and left Potts and Sopaz to settle the second spot. Potts secured second, Sopaz third and King fourth. Mowat who had his work cut out for him from the lap 3 restart moved through the traffic from the back of the pack to secure a solid fifth place finish.
Hennessy Wins Hard Fought Battle
After setting the fast time in time trials and winning his heat, Andrew Hennessy (No. 87 RJ Equipment Rentals) started on the pole with Doug O’Blenis (No. 32 Castlerock Crane) for the 25-lap Bainer’s OilGARD Canadian Modified feature. No. 91 Kraig Handley stayed hot on the heels of the two leader’s, passing O’Blenis and eventually taking the lead from Hennessy on the tenth lap. Handley held it for two and Hennessy worked to take the lead back on the thirteenth lap. Hungry to taste first again, runner-up Handley went door to door with Hennessy to the finish, with Hennessy edging out the win while No. 48 Derrick Greig, O’Blenis and No. 07 Curtis King fiercely battled it out for third. Greig took third, O’Blenis fourth and King rounded out the top five.
Anderson’s Smooth Moves Steal Checkers
Warren Mowat (No. 2 Mowat Vinyl Design) started on the pole with Doug Anderson (No. 72 Hunt’s Landscaping) for the 20-lap Brighton Automotive Thunder Stock feature. With returning champion Anderson and 2016 champ Justin Ramsay (No. 03 ABC Taxi) both hungry for opening night bragging rights, Mowat would hang on to the lead until the eighth lap until Ramsay got past him. Now with Ramsay nestled in the top spot, he and Anderson went neck and neck for the final ten laps. Anderson stole the lead on the nineteenth lap ahead of Ramsay to secure his first victory lane of the 2018 season followed by Ramsay, the No. 85 Austin Reid, Mowat and No.53 Wade Purchase.
Checkers Fly for Flieler
Tyler French (No. 0 Empey Tire) and Matthew Moore (No. 14 Farls Auto Body) led the field to the green flag for the Lava Clean Comp 4 Triple Crown. Adam Flieler (No. 11) took the lead from French early on in the fourth lap and never looked back leaving French and Moore to settle runner-up. Flieler would pick up the win while Moore would eventually pass French for second and hold the spot with No. 43 Devon Kippen and No. 50 Will Bulten rounded out the top five.
Stingers: Gregory and Pickle Park It
Brock Gregory (No. 1 Like Nu Driveway Sealing) started at the front of the pack in the Quinte Septic Junior Stinger 12-lap feature. Mike Beaudrie (No.44 Gus’ Family Restaurant ) moved into first place early and lead for six laps making Gregory work to take the lead back during the seventh lap and hold on for the feature win!.
Jordan Pickle was unstoppable in his No. 93 machine during the 12-lap Quinte Septic Super Stinger 8-lap feature. He lead all twelve laps to the finish line for the win with runner up No. 95 Chris Lammle and No. 89 Gary Taylor close behind.
Up next week: 95.5 Hits FM, Bay Marine and B&H Carpet present a complete race program featuring the Larry’s Towing Thunder Stock Triple Crown Race 1, Late Models, Canadian Modifieds and Comp 4’s. Adult admission $12.00 and a Family Pass is $28.00. The green flag drops at 7:00 PM, Front Gates will open at 5:30 PM.
Brighton Speedway Newsletter: Sign-up for the Brighton Speedway newsletter and get all speedway information delivered straight to your email inbox! Get track news, information, and updates directly to your email twice a week. It takes just two minutes to sign-up. Click here to get started!
Brighton Speedway Social Media: Follow Brighton Speedway on Twitter, @BrightonSpdwy, for live race day updates and track information. ‘Like’ us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BrightonSpdwy.
Brighton Speedway’s 2017 season is proudly supported by the following corporate sponsors: ABC Taxi, Adecco, Archer’s Poultry, B & H Carpet, Bainer’s OilGARD Anti-Rust, Bay Marine, Behan Construction, Bellevue Fabricating Ltd., Bill’s Johns, Brighton Automotive, Brighton Recycling, Campbellford Chrysler, Canadian National Autism Foundation, CANEX, Classic Rock 107.9, Coca-Cola, Comfort Zone Heating & Air Conditioning, Cool 100, Deerhaven Farm and Garden, Dibbits Excavating, Electro Cables, Excel Tower Service, Fidelity Engineering & Construction, First Place Trailers, Gerow Propane, Gord’s Water, Greig Truck & Trailer, Humber Nurseries, Hotch’s Auto Parts, Hoosier Racing Tire, ImageFactor.ca Motorsport Designs, John’s Equipment, Lange & Fetter Ford, Larry’s Towing, Lucas Oil, McDougall Insurance and Financial, Mix 97, Mystical Distributing, Owasco RV, Part Source, Pinty’s, Quinte Septic, Rapid Rad, Read’s Accounting, Rock 107, Sanderson Tire and Automotive, Stoneridge Specialty Insurance, The Community Press, TURRIS Communications, 95.5 Hits FM, UCB Radio Canada, Ultramar Parkland, Weaver Funeral Home, Workman’s OK Tire, Vanderlaan Building Products, VanZuylen Tire, and VP Racing Fuels.
About Brighton Speedway: Brighton Speedway is a 1/3-mile clay stock car racing oval located on the shores of Lake Ontario in Brighton, Ont. The speedway hosts five weekly stock car divisions on Saturday nights and youth Go-Kart racing on Thursday nights from May to September.
Brighton Speedway Mailing Address: 775 County Road 64, Brighton, ON, K0K 1H0.
Brighton Speedway Race Results 5/5/2018
Vanderlaan Building Products Late Model Division
1. Charlie Sandercock (Trenton, ON), 2. Phil Potts (Trenton, On), 3. Kyle Sopaz (Carrying Place, ON), 4. Austin King (Port Hope, ON), 5. Brandon Mowat (Brighton, ON), 6. Robbie Wilson (Trenton, ON), 7. Bryan Sudsbury (Bewdley, ), 8. Andy Mayhew (Picton, ON), 9. Bradley Rayner (Codrington, ), 10. Steve Baldwin (Trenton, ON),
Bainer’s OilGARD Canadian Modified Division
1. Andrew Hennessy (Picton, ON), 2. Kraig Handley (Picton, ON), 3. Derrick Greig (Belleville, ON), 4. Doug O’Blenis (Napanee, ON), 5. Curtis King ` (Wooler, ON), 6. Leslie Turcotte-Mowat (Trenton, ON), 7. Lee Sandercock (Belleville, ON), 8. Adam Whaley (Frankford, ON), 9. Brandt Graham (Orono, ON), 10. Nathan Rinaldi (Brighton, ON), 11. Greg Belyea (Stirling, ON), 12. Jonah Mutton (Brighton, ON), 13. Rich Sanders (Brighton, ON),
Brighton Automotive Pro Stock Division
1. Doug Anderson (Trenton, ON), 2. Justin Ramsay (Trenton, ON), 3. Austin Reid (Brighton, ON), 4. Warren Mowat (Trenton, ON), 5. Wade Purchase (Demorestville, ON), 6. Mike Freeman (Brighton, ON), 7. Steven Stachura (Stirling, ON), 8. Jeff Humphry (Belleville, ON), 9. Adam Wells (Madoc, ON), 10. Brian Cross (Picton, ON), 11. Jeff Howard (Trenton, ON), 12. Dave Barrett (Colborne, ON), 13. Travis Coates (Bloomfield, ON), 14. Angie Kirby (Ameliasburg, ON), 15. Murrell Ryan (Gores Landing, ON), 16. Chris Dorland (Demorestville, ON), 17. Carissa Burrows (Ameliasburgh, ON), 18. Cory White (Trenton, ON), 19. Bryan Mitts (Wooler, ), 20. Dan Insley (Wellington, ON), 21. Rob Perry (Foxboro, ON),
Bill’s Johns Comp 4 Division
1. Adam Flieler (Trenton, ON), 2. Matthew Moore (Port Hope, ON), 3. Tyler French (Belleville, ON), 4. Devon Kippen (Trenton, ON), 5. Willy Bulten (Trenton, ON), 6. Bella Cosstick (Trenton, ON), 7. Keith Dunk (Brighton, ON), 8. Terry Gorgerat (Goojaa) (Consecon, ON), 9. Dylan Kirkland (Brockville, ON), 10. Nick Morton (Brighton, ON), 11. Keyes Williamson (Ameliasburgh, ), 12. Joel Gareau (Trenton, ON),
Quinte Septic Jr Stinger Division
1. Brock Gregory (Trenton, ON), 2. Aidan Fletcher (Carrying Place, ON), 3. Cody Driscoll, 4. Caleb Severin (Campbellford, ON), 5. Jim Kotsilidis (Wellington, ON), 6. Mike Beaudrie (Wellington, ON), 7. Ryan Bebee (Colborne, ON), 8. Kyle Gregory (Trenton, ), 9. Lucinda Allen (Trenton, ON), 10. Melanie Fortier (Cobourg, ON), 11. Robert Jenner (Tweed, ), 12. Patrick Easton (Stirling, ON), 13. Jennifer Cassalman (Trenton, ON), 14. Jaden Freeman (Brighton, ON), 15. James Harrington (Brighton, ON),
Quinte Septic Sr Stinger Division
1. Jorden Pickell (Trenton, ON), 2. Chris Lammle (Trenton, ON), 3. Gary Taylor (Oshawa, ON), 4. Brittany Golden (Trenton, ), 5. Rick Phillips (Frankford, On), 6. Arthur McCauley (Trenton, ON), 7. ntel Golden) Golden (Frankford, ON), 8. Lawrence Evenden (Trenton, ON),