Charlotte, NC – The World of Outlaws Sprint Cars and World of Outlaws Late Model Series have announced the following penalties today:
World of Outlaws Sprint Cars:
Brian Lay, driver of the No. 45 Sprint Car violated section 2.5 of the World Racing Group Substance Abuse Policy per the 2017 World of Outlaws Craftsman Sprint Series Rule Book after neglecting to take a random drug test administered at Eldora Speedway.
Any tests conducted under the Policy will be considered “positive” under the following circumstances:
- If any prohibited substance is detected in the specimen provided by the Participant.
- A Participant fails or refuses to take a test pursuant to Section IV or otherwise engages in activity that prevents the collection of a specimen under the Policy.
- A Participant attempts to substitute, dilute, mask or alter a specimen, attempts to impair the excretion of a prohibited substance in a specimen, or attempts to tamper with a test in any way (including, but not limited to, catheterization, specimen substitution and/or adulteration).
Participant failed to complete the testing procedure. Participant was informed that failure to complete the test would result in a First Offense penalty.
- Upon being notified by the designated Administrator official (or officials) of a true positive test result for a WRG Participant, the WRG Officials shall inform that Participant of the positive result and the following sanctions shall apply.
- First Offense: Participants will be withheld from competition for 90 days from the date of the test and fined $1000 (minus participant’s $200 purse winnings from Eldora). This suspension term may be reduced to 60 days with the completion of an alcohol or drug-education program. Reinstatement will be conditional on two negative tests over the final 14-day period of the suspension and payment of the fine (Note: a positive result on a re-test will count as a second offense).
- Second Offense: Participants will be withheld from competition for 180 days from the date of the test and fined $2500. This suspension term may be reduced to 120 days with the completion of an enhanced alcohol or drug-education program. Reinstatement will be conditional on two negative tests over the final 14-day period of the suspension and payment of the fine (Note: a positive result on a re-test will count as a third offense).
Donny Schatz, driver of the No. 15 World of Outlaws Craftsman Sprint Car, has violated section 11.1-G of the 2017 World of Outlaws Craftsman Sprint Car Series Rule Book.
Any member that attempts to drive roughly and/or bumps another competitor unnecessarily will be subject to disqualification and/or fine and/or suspension and/or any other action deemed appropriate by World of Outlaws Officials and/or World Racing Group Supervisory Officials.
Schatz has been fined $500.
World of Outlaws Late Models:
R.J. Conley, driver of the No. 71C Late Model has violated Section 11.0-B/11.1-L of the 2017 World of Outlaw Craftsman Late Model Series Rule Book.
The team owners are solely responsible for the conduct of their drivers and/or team members and/or anyone connected to or affiliated with that owner’s team.
Any member that goes into another competitor’s pit area or to another competitors car and becomes involved in any type of altercation will be subject to disqualification and/or fine and/or suspension and/or loss of points and/or any other action deemed appropriate by World of Outlaws Officials and/or World Racing Group Supervisory Officials
Conleyhas been fined $1,500, suspended from all World of Outlaws Craftsman Late Model Series and DIRTcar UMP Late Model events for 30 consecutive days (May 27, 2017 through June 25, 2017). Additionally, be placed on probation until December 31, 2017.
Conley has filed an appeal. The appellant officer has set the the hearing date for the week of June 16 and has issued a deferral to compete in any World of Outlaws or DIRTcar Racing events until the hearing is heard.