Qualifying Action Recap from Night #3 of DIRTcar Nationals – DTD Exclusive


Seven of the eight draw positions from the qualifying heats came from the front row on night number three of the Super DIRTcar Nationals.

Matt Sheppard ran away with the first heat of the evening and outside front row partner Mike Maresca finished second. Maresca’s team replaced the front clip overnight after a hard hit on night two.

Jessey Mueller, Jeremy Smith and Kyle Coffey earned spots in the 30-lap main event with third, fourth and fifth place finishes.

The front row of heat two also locked themselves into the draw with pole sitter Erick Rudolph winning and Demetrios Drellos second.

Also earning starting spots in the main were Anthony Perrego, Pat Ward and Billy Dunn.

Rick Laubach, the only car still on bars, won heat three while Brett Hearn came from third starting spot for the other draw position.

Jimmy Phlelps, Mat Williamson and Peter Britten also garnered spots in the main event.

In the fourth and final heat Larry Wight and Stewart Friesen started one-two and finished one-two.

For Friesen his car had just three laps just prior to the heat race as he was at “The Big Track” throughout the day with his truck. He came in strong and earned a draw spot.

Completing the qualifiers were Billy Decker, Justin Haers and Brian Swartzlander.

A 13 car ten lap last chance showdown resulted in Tim Fuller getting the win while Ronnie Johnson, Billy Pauch and Jim Rasey qualified.

Rasey had been battling JoJo Watson (who had to replace the rear end after hot laps) and managed to pass Watson on a restart after Dillon Steuer lost a motor to bring out the yellow.

Watson settled for fifth and was followed by Rich Scagliotta, Andy Bachetti, Russell Morsemann, Rick Regalski, Darwin Greene, Dave Rauscher, Steuer and Ralph McBride (appeared to have engine problems).

Twenty-six cars started the main event with provisionals going to Bachetti and Rauscher by virtue of the points garnered after two nights.